Best Western Plus Hotel Litteraire Alexandre Vialatte
Ranked #13 of 60 Hotels in Clermont-Ferrand
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Good onsite parking - great loaction to older part and Cathedral of Clermont Ferrand. Big Lobby with cheerful recepionist , good experience with booking in and helpful with map and directions arond city. Rooms were good size - with only seperate toilet we had in france. Good room convieniences , good air con. On 3rd floor - nice decorated modern contemporary furnished room. Bath / fridge . Had walk around bought some cheese and wines etc . locally - had anti-pasto and drinks on rooftop next to restaurant - offers great vista's over city. Didn.t do breakfast - so cannot advise. if ever in Clermont Ferrand again would be happy to stay here again

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Hotel Litteraire Alexandre Vialatte

Reviewed 2 June 2013

We were very disappointed in our stay at this hotel. First impressions of our room, a 'premium room' were quite good, but on closer inspection it seemed to have been upgraded on the cheap, with paint flaking from the wall. It is very conveniently situated near the centre of the city, but the immediate surroundings are shabby. We were going to eat in their restaurant, but found it was closed for the weekend. Judging from the breakfast maybe this was just as well. When we got back to the room it was very warm. We opened the window, but it was very noisy, overlooking a square. We tried to get the AC going, without success, and we're told that the hotel AC wasn't working. Maybe closed for the weekend. Breakfast was an expensive extra at 14€ each. There is a good view of the city from the breakfast room, but the room itself has all the charm of a railway waiting room. Breakfast was comprehensive but of poor quality and not worth the price. Positive points were that the bed was very comfortable and there was convenient secure parking, @12€ per night.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Susann B
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I travelled to Clermont for a long, rugby weekend and chose the Inter Hotel des Puys for it's location between the rugby ground and the city centre. The hotel itself is about a 15 minute walk to both the rugby ground and the city centre and for the less energetic, there is a tram stop 50 metres away and a bus stop right outside.

After parking up the car in the car park under the hotel, check in was quick and efficient and after the young lady at reception had informed me a small bit about the local area, I made my way to my room on the 2nd floor.

Even though I had ordered a single room, I was given a decent sized room with a large double bed. The bed was comfortable but as with most hotels in France, the pillows weren't great. The room had a wardrobe and a large set of drawers and even though they were a bit dated, they were more than adequate for my needs. The room also had a coffee machine with sachets and buscuits replaced daily.

When I enetered the bathroom, it was clear the room had been modified for wheelchair use which meant it was a good size but with no bath. As with the bedroom, it was very clean if not a little dated.

On returning to the hotel late on my first night, there was nobody on reception and I needed to scan my keycard to gain entry. It wasn't a massive inconvenience but perhaps something that could have been mentioned while checking in.

Having said that, when I returned on the second night, again quite late, there was a young man on recption and as there is only a vending machine in the lobby, he arranged to have food delivered from a local take away for us which was very much appreciated.

Overall, this is a solid mid range hotel and offers good value for money. There are better, pricier hotels in Clermont but I found this hotel to be completely acceptable. The third floor was being renovated while we were there so perhaps they have begun to moderise the hotel but I would gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel look onto a nice square but can suffer from traffic noise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rjoc
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Stayed for 2 nights here just before new year 2012 great hotel position excellent with underground parking, room size good very clean and with an excellent breakfast I would recommend this hotel for value and convienience.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We needed somewhere to stay while driving from Calais to the South of France and Clement-Ferrand fitted the bill. The hotel is in the middle of town and its underground car park meant we didn't need to worry about the car, luggage or bikes on the back. Rooms were adequate, air conditioning noisey but I enjoyed a fab view out of the window during my morning shower.
6fh floor breakfast, at 14 Euro, was on the costly side, but it was fresh and fullsome - and indeed had a great view of the cathedral.
Overall, there was little atmosphe but it provided a good stopping point for the first night of our holiday.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank LOVE2EAT56
Reviewed 31 August 2012

When I entered the room, I thought it had a kitchen but it turned out to be the bathroom and the extra wardrobe turned out to be a toilet... Interesting design concept! The room was clean, the bed was very comfortable, there is a small mini bar and a coffee machine. Breakfast room on 6th floor has a beautiful view over the city and breakfast itself is pretty good, quite a choice packed on a small space.
The staff speak very little English but they are very friendly and helpful. Overall, qute a nice stay!

Room Tip: I've had a business suite/executive room on 1st floor - it's facing the street but it's...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Gohi
Reviewed 5 June 2012 via mobile

I checked in and went to my room. When I went in the lights didn't work. I went back down to the front desk where they looked at me suspiciously and questioned whether I'd turned on the lights properly. They then came up to the room and tried themselves with no luck. The bathroom lights were working though, so the woman decided that it must be the lightbulbs. She took them both out and returned 5 minutes later. Upon replacing them she realized that it wasn't the bulbs. I was too tired to change rooms and embraced the dark.

I understand that there are two levels of rooms in the hotel. (I didn't get a choice. I got one of the bad ones. The carpet is scary. The furnishings are cheap and worn down. The towels are ond and thin. And there is no seperate enclosure for the shower. It's just right there beside the toilet. Terrible.

I'd give them one star for the rooms. Fortunately the buffet breakfast was nice and the view from the breakfast room was good. And service at breakfast was pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2012