“Great Hosts”
Review of Hotel Abalys

Hotel Abalys
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Brest
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Stayed here, in part based on this site. Glad we did. As stated in other reviews the rooms are quite small, (it is France after all), and the lift is comically small. Everything else was very positive though. You are 2 minutes walk to the main station. 5 minutes walk to the main tramline and city centre. Rooms were very clean. No noise. Staff were probably some of the most genuinely nice hotel staff I've met. Took time to advise on places to eat, timetables, online check in for airport etc. Even sent up a free breakfast because some work was being done on the hotel door. In short a decent budget hotel greatly improved by fantastic staff.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back on the 1st floor which had a larger bathroom than the one at the front.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thegodbotherer

Reviewed 17 August 2012

Our room was quite small, and I took a nasty fall coming out of the shower as water had leaked onto the floor (no bath mat supplied). We had a lovely view from our small balcony of the park and distant sea view. The free Wifi worked well. I asked if there was a safe to keep our money in, and a lovely elderly gentleman arrived and carried a huge strong box up to our room, stowed it under the bed, and gave me the key! There was no charge for this. The receptionist spoke English and was very helpful. There is an excellent restaurant one minute away called Le Ruffe. We couldnt figure out how to get into the very large car park opposite the Hotel, but managed to park easily in the car park in the road round the corner. We left early the following day, so cannot comment on breakfast. Would definitely stay here again if in Brest.

Room Tip: The sea view room at the front was charming and cost €58
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caroline1948
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I stayed at the Abalys for 5 nights in one of the rooms at the top floor at the rear (very quiet).
There was a computer in the room, as well as wifi everywhere.

The hotel is family owned and runned and the atmosphere very friendly. Good advice is given at reception for restaurants, shopping etc.
The breakfast is copious and a good deal for 8 euros.

The downside is the size of the rooms, which are very small. Also, as an another reviewer remarked, there is a funny smell at times...

When I come back to Brest, I'll might try another hotel to compare.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Divehigirl
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Located 100 metres from the railway station, and on the main street, the hotel is small yet cosy.

Breakfast is complimentary and may not have a good spread.

Rooms are very small and the luggage is difficult to manoeuvre inside the room if you have more than two standard size luggages.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank abeghatak
Reviewed 1 May 2012

stayed here three nights after crossing the channel. this is a very cheap hotel, and much more than worth the money. if you are already expecting a two-star hotel in france, there's nothing really that you can say against it. we got probably one of the most sympathetic welcomes experienced. the lift is tiny, the room was tiny, bright & colourful, the bathroom had a bath, we had a view of the street and the sea in the third floor and we ordered pizza from room service. the hotel is about a five minute walk from the main train station, it's about a fifteen minute walk to the harbour with all the great restaurants, and a great place to start exploring the city (the hotel provides a map and some excellent recommendations too - do try the fish restaurant around the corner up the road north-west). we will not consider any other hotel when we come back to brest.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Geijscher
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Yes it is an older hotel but very clean and the staff are fantastic. free and good wireless internet. there was even a computer in my room but i did not have time to try it. I enjoyed my visit and especially this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank CanViking
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice and both times it has been a really enjoyable stay. The hotel is located about 5-10 minutes walk from the central train station. When you walk out of the train station, turn right (up a slightly inclined hill). The hotel has a two star rating but I think it deserves at least three. The Reception were always very friendly, happy and quick to help. They provided several maps to Brest, pointed me in the direction of the venue I was attending and recommended a lovely creperie (La Crepe Flambee) which was only a few minutes walk away from the hotel. I recommend it.

The first time I stayed at this hotel in March 2011 I was given a room on the third floor. The room was a good size with fancy fixtures (light fittings, door handles, taps). There were two doors, one to the toilet and another to the sink/bath/shower. Also there was a luggage rack. The bed was very comfy, the towels were very soft and the shower was powerful. It was a bit cold when I arrived but there was a heater in the room which made it cozy very quickly.

The second time I stayed in a room on the top floor in February 2012. It was a lot smaller than the previous room with less space between the desk and the bed. The room was also very cozy and a nice place to return to at the end of an evening. Both times the rooms had a computer set-up with free internet. I think this was a really nice touch and the first time I have seen it. The computer was fast and internet was quick. There was also free Wi-Fi if you brought a laptop but I did not try this as the computer was good. If you are staying out late then the Reception area will be shut so mention this to Reception and they will give you a number which will let you back in through the main door after hours. Also I would recommend not taking the lift unless you really have to because it was very small - a bit of a squeeze for 1 person with luggage. This would be the only slightly negative point I would make about the hotel and that was not a big deal.

I really enjoyed my stay here and would definitely recommend this hotel. The first time I chose this hotel after seeing the positive reviews which were well deserved. Also the price of under 50 euros for a night was a bargain!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo