“An excellent fish restaurant at a very reasonable price”
Review of L'Amiral

L'Amiral
Ranked #17 of 112 Restaurants in Concarneau
Price range: US$25 - US$59
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 August 2013

An excellent fish restaurant at a very reasonable price. The 35 euro menu has oysters and lobster. It would be a pity to come to Brittany and not sample these pleasures.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

I dined here during my first period of fieldwork on the Literary Tourism of Concarneau. Back in the 1930s, L'Amiral, was the Admiral Hotel in the detective novel "The Yellow Dog" by Georges Simenon, 'Le Chien jaune' in French. The present-day L'Amiral Restaurant is excellent and they lived-up to their literary reputation by offering a Maigret Menu. Service is first-rate and the meal was perfect; I'm looking forward to my next research visit.
Download free ePub Book for iPhones and Androids from Google where I write about my work on Concarneau and Maigret: http://goo.gl/mG0rI

2  Thank Charles M
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is excellent value for Michelin cooking. The lobster menu has range of starters including the best oysters I have eaten followed by excellent grilled lobster presented to you at the table before its impending doom, followed by wonderful desserts. All for 32 quid. A class act but for seafood lovers only

1  Thank Jay1954
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Stumbled upon this restaurant with my wife one Sunday whilst visiting towns on the south Brittany coast. It was lunch time and we needed to eat and it looked like quite a "posh" place.
I had promised her "Homard", Lobster to you non Francofiles so this was her chance.
She did however miss the part where I had to approve of the live Lobster before he/she met its fate but there really was no saving this guy, so I just nodded a "yes".
This was one of the best meals I have had with excellent service. I feel that you know it was good when you leave feeling blessed and that you must leave a tip.
They have a Bistro and Bar section, got no idea what that is like, we ate in the main restaurant and would highly recommend it, Lobster or otherwise. If you don't have a reservation, go in early because it fills up quick.

1  Thank Greg W
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Concarneau is one of the most successful ports in France and, in l'Amiral, you can taste why. The prawns in vegetable soup surpassed the description. Juicy prawns in a seafood froth with tomato were delectable. The trio of fish (John Dry, Scallops and Clams) also came in a lovely froth with petis pois and bacon and a little squid ink spaghetti. You could taste the sea. My husband's sole was so fresh and such a wonderful texture. We didn't have pudding, but those we spotted looked stunning. The staff were friendly and, considering the quality, the value was excellent.