“Didn't try the Food as we couldn't get served !”
Review of L'Amiral

L'Amiral
Ranked #6 of 108 Restaurants in Concarneau
Price range: US$25 - US$59
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Un lieu incontournable face au port et à la ville-close qui vous propose deux ambiances.Un restaurant aux spécialités de fruits de mer, poissons bretons, homard. Une cuisine du marché et des desserts et glaces maison.Réservation conseilléeC'est aussi un bar-brasserie à l'ambiance conviviale, à la terrasse très prisée des concarnois où l'on propose des petites formules de 8 à 12€ selon le marché.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Didn't try the Food as we couldn't get served !”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

At my request my wife and I went to L'Amiral as it looked as though one could enjoy good seafood albeit the the restaurant didn't have the potential ambience my wife enjoys - the surroundings were a trifle sterile with white tablecloths etc !

We hadn't made a reservation but there were a fair number of empty tables so we entered the restaurant. The approaching waiter had quite an aloof attitude and made a big thing of the fact that we hadn't booked a reservation but eventually decided to let us have one of the empty tables. I should have realised then what might happen. The waiter sat us down and gave us each a menu, didn't say anything and went away.

We waited for one of the two waiters to come to our table for over 20 minutes but no, they didn't come. There were two gents sat at an adjacent table who were sipping aperitifs and had had their menus ever since we sat down and appeared to still be waiting to order.

The head waiter spent an age pushing some papers around a table and ignored us, the adjacent gents and some others. The other much younger waiter had gone outside, eventually come back in and with that waiter's look ( you know the one where they can walk up and down a restaurant without catching anyone's eyes) proceeded to walk the length of the restaurant and upon reaching the end apparently remembered something and went outside again - still ignoring everyone !

A few more minutes passed and my wife and I had had enough. Much as we wanted to taste their fare this stance of totally ignoring us and other customers was too much so we got up and left ! The head waiter started to follow but soon stopped - my wife thought it was because of the look I had on my face ! I was going to say something but I knew it would be wasted on him (he reminded me of a number of Parisian waiters I have met who thought they were far more important than their customers).

So we went to another restaurant where we were served fairly quickly and with very polite and welcoming service which was our general experience in Concarneau and much of Brittany during our brief stay this time.

I concur with the other report writer "iblic" who complained of the head waiter in L'Amiral. However "iblic" had the patience to stay and try the food; we did not.

It wasn't as if the two waiters were busy. They simply ignored us and I am afraid however good their food might be I am not going to pay to be treated so poorly. They won't be getting my custom.

• Visited June 2014

Belgium
“Excellent solid quality but....”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We arrived here on a rainy September evening looking for a superior eatery and that is what we found. This restaurant obviously has a very good reputation and specifically for its seafood. We were happy to find a warm and comfortable place. This is the kind of restaurant that serves excellent food and very good wine at a reasonable price given the quality and professionalism. Not only the seafood is good here. I had a superb fillet steak. Now the downside. We don't always drink aperitifs. We don't always trawl through three or four courses and if we are not sure about anything we ask in a polite, direct manner. On questioning the head waiter
about the dishes on offer, I detected a certain supercilious, condescending attitude as he responded to my wife who is French. Having seen what was arriving at adjoining tables I was
determined to eat here and I have a broad leathery old back. But I don't like this kind of attitude. I just ignored him and enjoyed the food. You have to do this sometimes in this kind of place in France.

• Visited September 2013
Hertford - England
“Lunch on Market Day”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Had a stop for lunch here on Friday market day in Concarneau. Being a warm, sunny August Friday, the place was packed with market goers and tourists alike, but we found a lunch table for four up against the window, on the outside. Food and service was reasonable, and it was a nice location slap bang against the market square and beautiful harbour and fort.
Our only minor gripe .... if you are a non smoker and are surrounded by tables full of smokers (as it was outside), it can still get a bit annoying while you are eating a meal.

• Visited August 2013
Kansas
“The Fresh Seafood was the best...”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My wife and I ate here based on the recommendation of our hotel. We enjoyed a nice meal. There was a wait staff of three and any waiter can bring you anything, which caused confusion throughout the dining room throughout the night. I had a seafood menu that included half a lobster, half a spider crab, three giant prawns, oysters, winkles and whelks. They brought out the fresh lobster to show me before he became an entrée. The seafood was very good. My wife had a crab entrée that was pretty average, which is a shame because the Spider Crab on my plate was wonderful. I would come back here again but for the fresh seafood only.

• Visited September 2013
Paris
“An excellent fish restaurant at a very reasonable price”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

An excellent fish restaurant at a very reasonable price. The 35 euro menu has oysters and lobster. It would be a pity to come to Brittany and not sample these pleasures.

Visited August 2013