“Great location, but a bit dated”
Review of Hotel le Challonge

Hotel le Challonge
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Dinan
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stayed in a family room, which had a separate bedroom with twin beds for the children, and a large double bed in the main room. The rooms were big enough, and the beds comfortable. We had a view of a little courtyard at the back of the building. The thick curtains kept the light out very well. The staff were all lovely and very helpful. We did not have breakfast at the hotel, as it was a bit expensive and we don't need much in the morning.

The location of the hotel is ideal. There is plenty of parking outside (apart from Wednesday night and Thursday morning, because of the market) and it is a short walk from all the sights of Dinan. It seems fairly quiet, without much traffic at night.

Now to the "minus points": The room looked quite dated and could do with a more modern design. The sheets had stains on them, and there was a "souvenier" from the previous guests still floating in the toilet. The bathroom didn't look very clean at all. But that is down to the one person who was supposed to clean the room. Another problem for a light sleeper like me were the thin doors, which let in all the noise of people walking past in the hallway. As the bed is rather close to the door, I woke up several times because of people coming or going.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Mamachoco

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Two staff in particular - sadly I didn't get their names. The Spanish gentleman on reception and the lady who manned the reception and oversaw breakfast. The lady in particular went the extra mile - I had hurt my back and needed my cool pack frozen to ease the pain. This was no problem for her. In addition, we didn't realise that we should have booked our Sunday return taxi on our arrival on Friday and with not much time left to catch our train and no taxis available, when she finished work, she took my mother & me in her own car to the station in her own time. What more can one say.

There were a couple of minor housekeeping issues, which I mentioned to the staff, but this would not stop me staying here again.

Dinan is beautiful with loads of creperies to give one that taste of Britanny.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Me and my boyfriend really loved our stay here! The room was a good size, clean and quite characteristic. Had a lovely balcony overlooking the town where there was a market in the week, probably because we specified a smoking room. Great location, just a ten minute walk from the medieval part of the town which is what most people go to see and photograph. The staff service was excellent and the breakfast was also very enjoyable.

Some important advice I would give is, organise a taxi pick if you used the train to get to Dinan. Me and boyfriend waited outside the train station for an hour before we realised there wasn't going to be one. There are very limited taxi services because the city is so small. The hotel is within walking distance but when you have a suitcase and are not sure where it is, it is easier to book a taxi. We called the hotel and they managed to call a taxi to pick us up and take us to them, which was great!

If your a young couple or family, i definitely recommend staying here as the prices are really reasonable for what you get! Loved it!

Room Tip: If you want a balcony, ask for the smoking room
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zena H
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Agree with what other reviewers have said. Room on 2nd floor at front very comfy and quiet, the walls are lined with some sort of padded insulating fabric so could barely hear a sound outside. Very good breakfast but some confusion as I thought I had booked at an breakfast included price but the recpetionist assured me that breakfast was always extra. Unfortunately the confirmation email made no mention of the an inclusive price so I had to pay up. However I noticed today that there was an offer through trip advisor for a free breakfast so if you do take up that offer you might need to confirm it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2011

The standard of this hotel is very high considering that a double room was Eur 88 per night. The rooms are very comfotable and are not short on space. The hotel does not have its own parking but there is street parking outside or there is parking in the square (watch which day the market is - as you have to vacate the parking the night before). There are loads of good quality restaurants close by - you might find the restaurant underneath the hotel somewhat expensive. If you are heading for the St Malo ferry then this would make an excellent stopover.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel may be quieter
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2011

A pleasant hotel visit. As the hotel was on a square I was worried about the noise so I asked if they could put my at a room in back of hotel which they did. Windows opened out to back courtyard and it also gave a lovely breeze. Room was basic and slightly dated, but still comfortable. Toliet separate to bathroom, both clean and tidy. Overall the room was neat and tidy, just not contemporary.
Staff were very helpful. I arrived early and they stored my baggage and took great care of my fragile glassware items. Bags were in room once I could return at check in time and glassware put on table. They also helped me locate some addresses in the area and assisted in recommending a restaurant choice from my list of 4 options.
Overall it was a nice simple comfortable room and pleasant staff. Great location and great market in square opposite on Thursdays.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 October 2010

This hotel, in the centre of Dinan faces a large square providing excellent parking. Imposing from outside, the staff, facilities and rooms are superb. Despite facing the square the room provided an exceptionally quiet space. The breakfast was one of the best continental breakfasts we have ever experienced. The adjacent restaurant proved to be of a very high standard. Impossible to fault it can be recommended with confidence as we enjoyed the whole experience.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple