“Nice "Mom & Pop" run hotel”

and 1 more site!
Hotel La Quebecoise Le Bas Frene
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Dinan
Munich, Germany
“Nice "Mom & Pop" run hotel”
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We stayed here for a few nights at the beginning of August. The price was right for a family of 5. Though the room was rather basic, it was clean and met our needs. There was free parking. We did not eat breakfast there, but I did stop by one morning and asked for coffee. They gave it to me for free. As we were on a road trip, we were in need of washing our clothes. The wife offered to wash them for a small fee of 4€. This saved me time and money. (I spent 2 hours and 20€ at a laundry facility in Paris.) I couldn't thank her enough for this. The husband recommended a very nice beach to go to with our kids. Loved it. And the wife recommended a great crepes restaurant in Dinan. It looks like this couple is still in the process of upgrading the hotel. I saw them working on different projects. (This might explain why they are not just standing at the front desk when you arrive.) Overall, a good hotel, nice price, with friendly owners.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mooommm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
San Francisco
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I saw that they advised you to have a car to stay there, but decided to walk from the train station anyway. The owner who greeted me at the desk immediately offered to coordinate rides into town for me when his wife drove the kids to school. He also offered to make me dinner even though there is no restaurant. The meal was a lovely home-cooked cauliflour and ham baked in bechamel with salad, a glass of wine and cheese with red fruits for dessert. Excellent and cheap!!

The rooms are comfortable, but nothing special. The wifi was good, which was important to me because I had to work during the trip. The breakfast with the excellent bread has me still thinking about french baguettes two months after I stayed there. Best bread I had during my month traveling around France.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank GluttonChops
London
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We booked this hotel for one night last minute through Hotelbooking.com - double was 58 euros and breakfast extra 7 euro pp which we did not have. In fact we had the triple room No4 although I suspect they are all much the same, - fairly basic but clean and all in working order and extremely comfortable bed with cotton sheets.
The rooms open onto courtyard which has tables/benches and a small room with table tennis and table top football that would occupy teens/young. Only 10 minutes to the centre by car and 30 mins to St Malo port where we were going the next day- Easy to find off the D2. It was an ideal stopover en route as Dinan is a lovely old medieval town with plenty to attract -

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
burton-upon-trent
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I stayed here with my husband and some friends whilst travellling south. The hotel staff appeared to be the owner's children. A yound child in pyjamas greeted me! The room was very basic, poorly furnished and not as clean as I would expect. There was no fan in the bathroom and the shower looked as though it was on it's last legs!
On my holiday I also stayed in cheaper,much better hotels than this.A great disappointment and not to be recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Dinan hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2012

My husband and I cycled down from St Malo, so the fact that the hotel is not quite in Dinan didn't deter us at all - in fact, if you have a car or a bike, I'd say that this hotel is an excellent choice. The rooms are very comfortable, the breakfast (French style - baguettes, croissants, jams, butter, fruit puree, yoghurts, cereal and fruit) is excellent and Julie and Oliver, the owners of the hotel, friendly and ready to help. Also, there is something wonderful about staying in a converted farmhouse and waking up to a chorus of birds...
Overall, a very plasant experience and excellent value for money.
P.S. If you come by bike, you can leave it in the garage, where you'll also find a table tennis table, badminton rackets and a table football. The TV in our room also had a USB-stick socket, so it was easy to charge my Kindle and my husband's camera.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank froeken_snork
conroe
Reviewed 3 May 2012

i see by some other reviews that this hotel is good for a one night stopover. if you do not have a car this would not be a good choice since even on the web site he tells you taxis will not come to the hotel. i stayed 3 days and when i arrived at about 1130am i was also told that the room was not ready. but i usually just drove from my last stop to my next hotel and then i would go into town after checking in. the reception area to be like most owner run hotels where it seems they try and save as much money as possible and keep the lights low. it still was clean and i was toldto come back around 1400 and he gave me the key so i could go direct to the room. town center is about 2k from hotel not far and a easy drive to town. everybody said how good the breakfast is, on my 30 day trip i did not take any breakfast because i know that it is going to be cereal, croissants and yogurt which no mattrer where i travel that is what you get. this is fine for most but i would go the local store and get some fruit and juice and be on my way. the owner was very nice and very helpful let me use his internet to check email spoke good english and the room was clean and warm as it rained everyday and windy and cold parking was good and did not really hear alot of road noise from highway would stay again upon my return to Dinan

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2011

We stayed here as a stopover for one night on the way back from a week in a small Brittany village about 90 miles to the west, as it was only about half hour from the early St Malo ferry and saved us an early start.

We arrived about 11.30am and found the reception unmanned. When the owner did show we were told that our rooms would not be ready till 3pm (not unreasonable, but we were then left to our own devices and not even offered a drink) so, after losing ourselves in Dinan for a few hours, we headed back to the hotel about 4ish and found the rooms clean, comfortable and modern although the reception was dark and dingy with a broken glass entry door.

Although the buildings themselves are quite attractive, the outside courtyard area is somewhat scruffy with the best table reserved for the owner! The yellow hosepipe that was pumping out the green fishpond didn't help. This somewhat typified the owners' attitude to the guests in so much as the guests seemed to be a nuisance to them.

We decided to have a drink before heading back to Dinan for an evening meal as there is nothing local to the hotel. We ordered a coffee, a beer and two wines - the wine was available, but we were told the coffee would take 10-15minutes for the machine to be switched on, and there was no beer! This was drunk outside as the bar was closed and remained so for the duration of our stay.

The landlady did however order us a cab so we could escape!

At breakfast time the dining room doors were pushed open before Monsieur went back to his computer - there was no "please, come in, breakfast is now ready...". Breakfast was one croissant and some French bread and jam, a glass of orange juice and coffee. When we had almost finished it was pointed out that there were Cornflakes and yoghurt available.

To sum up, I would say that the hotel is convenient for an overnight stop close to the port, but has very little else to recommend it - it is unwelcoming.

P.S. The dog is much friendlier than the owners.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family