“One of the nicer places I've dined in Rennes”
Review of Baron Rouge

Baron Rouge
Ranked #55 of 834 Restaurants in Rennes
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I've been to Baron Rouge a few times over several years, all business dinners. First time I was taken there by a local who knew the place. It's a small, high-end feel place. One seating per night. Attentive staff. Very good food. Not cheap but not outrageously priced either. Recommended.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Have been here twice, once with my wife for a nice dinner out and once on my own for lunch.

Some people have noted that it takes a while for the food to be served and this is true, so don't come here for a lunch "rapide".

Having said that the food is good, they make some things that are different to the usual french restaurant (I would describe it as "modern European" dining) and the whole experience is a breath of fresh air when you have been in twenty different French Brasseries.

Like most restaurants they have a "forumle" for lunch which is very good value (entree, main and a glass of wine for EUR17).

What they haven't got quite right is two things, first, I find the kitshe decorations a little too much (a silver plate on every table that they then take away when you sit down is a little weird and serves no function), and the flavors of the foods are sometimes overpowering given the ingredients (I had a prawn and vegetable in filo combination where I could not taste anything).

Overall, this is a pretty good restaurant, in a nice part of Rennes, and it isn't that expensive so it is definitely worth trying for yourself.

1  Thank Rand0m_Th0ughts
Reviewed 15 July 2013

this is the first time trip advisor reviews have let me down, booked this restaurant while in rennes, soley based on the reviews I had read, unfortunately found Baron Rouge really disappointing, it had no atmosphere, we waited to long between courses, it was overpriced and the management wasn't very accommodating. although would add when the food did arrive it was very good and our waitress sophie was lovely.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

Together with three friends we spent a great evening at this special restaurant. My friends were sceptical at my choice but at the end of the evening wanted to book again for next year! This is a beautiful typically French restaurant in a lovely part of Rennes. We had the €32 menus that included medallions de foie gras de canard, excellent veal medallions, great fromage and a super selection of really special deserts. The wine list was excellent and at not over the top for prices. The 'patron' had a very dry but welcoming sense of humour and gave us all a calvados on the house at the end of the meal. Altogether a wonderful evening's experience and we shall certainly return.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

The place is worth revisiting
the food is always excellent
this time the green asparagus carpaccio
with some goose liver was the outstanding
experience, also the veal with truffles was
excellent .The wine recommnedation- our preference
is the Loire- was excellent and was not considering
the price i.e. not the most expensive but the most
suitable was recommended.
The no tablecloth policy is fully made up with friendly
prices.Even on a simple wendesday night a reservation
is adviseable