“glad i didnt read the reviews first”

Arcantis Hotel Le Voltaire
Ranked #26 of 64 Hotels in Rennes
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed here two nights and were very happy with the stay. The free parking is great. Its not too far from the city center and there is a bus just around the corner that take about 15 mins for 1.40e. The room was spacious, and had free wifi. The decor is shall we say interesting! We really liked it. We had a great breakfast, by far and away the best we have had in our two week stay in France.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 May 2013

On the positive the room was very clean, very cheap and had free parking. On the other hand there are a lot of things missing from the incredible small hotel room. No bedside tables just a bed?...so my glasses went on the floor which I've never had in any hotel room ever....two people could not stand up in the room at the same time...oh my....no shower curtain so water everywhere...agree with other reviewers that the hotel is oddly decorated as there are alot of naked women art which in my opinion a little goes a long way, by the time I'd walked up to the fourth floor I was uncomfortable. Plus this is much further from city centre than I expected so be prepared that it's not near anything. My advice spend more money and get yourself into something nicer.

Room Tip: Not fourth floor
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Although 2/5 is slightly too harsh, the hotel did not merit an "average" rating.

We chose Le Voltaire mainly for the free parking, as the location was not ideal for those visiting Rennes without independent transportation. We used Rennes as a base for day tripping, and therefore did not require a central hotel. However, we did require a comfortable room and, unfortunately, Le Voltaire did not provide this.

This was predominantly due to the bed - a small double with a truly terrible foam mattress. With absolutely no support and a sunken middle section, it was impossible to get comfortable in any position, despite my partner and I flipping the mattress. I would recommend light or restless sleepers, or anyone who suffers from muscular tension or pain, to avoid this hotel.

The room was pleasant enough, with a separate shower/toilet - all quite clean. The staff were fairly non-existent and had difficulty in checking us out at 9:00 the next morning in spite of the lack of other guests.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kat G
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Well what can I say that has not been said before. This hotel is 2.7kms walking distance from the train station NOT the .7 as was fancied on the website. It was clean enough, cheap enough, odd enough to be amusing. We two people could not sleep in the double bed as it fell into the centre - basically it had seen better days. The toilet was an interesting experience. I think it was purchased from the pre-school demolition sale as it was so low to the ground it was almost a squat job. The bus in and out of town is easy enough although again a walk around the corner. Not a great area however we did not feel unsafe despite coming aback late at night.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Well, I cannot find anything positive to say about this hotel. Firstly, the area is a bit of a worry, I felt unsafe. The rooms are diabolically small, the bathroom is a shocker and so small it's difficult getting into it, The breakfast area, well, it was dirty with many other guests used breakfast trays and their cutlery/crockery lying around, quite awful. The accommodation floors are dingy and dark. There is no way that I would stay there again and would not recommend anyone else do so either until they lift their game. My husband booked this hotel and I thought it was a waste of money, better to spend a few euros more and get better quality.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth C
Reviewed 18 May 2009

I rated this hotel a "1" - but only because zero was not available. I have never, ever, ever been treated as badly in a hotel as I was here. I had a problem with my room, which took ages to sort out - because the only staff member (the owner / manager?) was in another town, over an hour away.
When I complained that he didn't seem to care, and had clearly not hurried to the hotel, he escalated the situation into a confrontation and repeatedly poked me in the chest and shoulder with this finger and at one point physically grabbed my arm.
The man certainly has no customer relation skills, and quite frankly I could see him becoming unstable and possibly even violent.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank PCfty
Reviewed 28 September 2008

guy at front desk was ok to deal with... hotel was clad in creepy tastless decor (manequin?) in the heart of the ghetto of rennes. bullet proof roll shutters on windows. spend a little more $ and get a place close to lices market.

• Stayed: September 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank CalgaryMattie