“Quirky but decent resting place.”

Arcantis Hotel Le Voltaire
Ranked #26 of 64 Hotels in Rennes
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Wife and I spent 3 nights at this hotel whilst on a short break. Hotel is quite a way out of town but there is a fantastic bus service which is both cheap and very regular and runs up to midnight. Puts our UK bus service to shame. Hotel room very bijou indeed, really a single room but with huge bed. Clean, towels changed daily, and plenty of soaps and shampoos provided daily. Very quirky object d'art everywhere, hidden round corners, nothing seems to connect with any theme that we recognised. The reception staff we found stand offish, whether it was because we were Brits, or whether that is how they are we are not sure. They would do better if they were a little more communicative and outgoing. I say this because overwhelmingly, we found the good people of Rennes to be kind, helpful, polite and extremely friendly. Nothing was ever too much trouble wherever we went, which makes it even more of a shame that hotel staff were less so. We enjoyed our trip immensely, and would return but maybe to a different hotel.

Room Tip: Try to avoid front rooms overlooking road and building site. We did ask for a quiet room when bookin...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We stayed one night as my husband had to catch a 6am train to Paris. For the price, the accommodation was fine: a clean, small room with bathroom, TV and WiFi access. Yes, the decor is, shall we say, unique. So what? We wanted a comfortable, clean, cheap room with free parking and easy access to the city center. That's what we got. The manager seems to prefer speaking French but may just be shy when trying to speak English. It's easy to get here off the west Rocade, and easy to drive to the gare, although it isn't easy to park anywhere in the center of Rennes. For that reason, and because we enjoy walking, we walked from the hotel to the Place de Bretagne and the old center, where there are a number of pedestrian streets and lots of bars and restaurants, as well as historic sites. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I have stayed in some places ,but this one must rate as nuts. When you walk in its looks quite sane, when you get upstairs it all changes,dummy's wearing clothes, I said Bonjour twice to the dummy wearing woman's clothes who was in a room outside our bed room ,old radios ,sewing machines ,wind up gramophones everywhere.The room its self was small but comfortable,the shower in the bathroom was set not to go further than a meter above the bath. The best part was Mr Nutter who runs the place,I had to wait 5 minutes when I went to pay so he could finish a conversation with himself and his imaginary friend. If you want to stay sain give it a miss.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This review is based on the price I paid for this accommodation.. Of course one does have a view irrespective of what one pays,when you are going down the side road to get there you are thinking, hmm, definitely getting what I paid for, however, I found the following; first of all the free parking is excellent and when you get inside it gets even better. Quirky theme, which was clean(an awful lot of memorabilia), where they obviously trust their guests not to walk off with it. Going to the room was a bit dark and lift not working(thinking what is the room like), upon entering and when I found the light switch, the room was compact, but was very clean with a good size bed. Small table next to bed to put anything you wanted. Small flat screen TV and the bathroom had nicely presented towels with complimentary toiletries. All looked clean to me. In the bar is a free Pin Ball table. The French francs which runs the machine are on the wall on the left hand side of the Pin Ball Table.
In the evening the staff made you feel most welcome. There is a older handsome chap who mooches about and is very quiet and maybe not engaging as one would want, however, he and the others were very courteous. To breakfast, superb. Yes it is self service and the staff leave you to your own devices. All I can say there was an excellent selection, milk, yoghurts and fresh oranges kept in fridge. They have a professional orange squeezing machine, just like in a café. Range of teas included Earl Grey and the coffee was good. On a side note all I can say is, maybe the owner is a bit quiet with English speaking people as I see reports on here, which in my opinion with my experience unfounded.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank QualityFoodie
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed here two nights and were very happy with the stay. The free parking is great. Its not too far from the city center and there is a bus just around the corner that take about 15 mins for 1.40e. The room was spacious, and had free wifi. The decor is shall we say interesting! We really liked it. We had a great breakfast, by far and away the best we have had in our two week stay in France.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2013

On the positive the room was very clean, very cheap and had free parking. On the other hand there are a lot of things missing from the incredible small hotel room. No bedside tables just a bed?...so my glasses went on the floor which I've never had in any hotel room ever....two people could not stand up in the room at the same time...oh my....no shower curtain so water everywhere...agree with other reviewers that the hotel is oddly decorated as there are alot of naked women art which in my opinion a little goes a long way, by the time I'd walked up to the fourth floor I was uncomfortable. Plus this is much further from city centre than I expected so be prepared that it's not near anything. My advice spend more money and get yourself into something nicer.

Room Tip: Not fourth floor
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Although 2/5 is slightly too harsh, the hotel did not merit an "average" rating.

We chose Le Voltaire mainly for the free parking, as the location was not ideal for those visiting Rennes without independent transportation. We used Rennes as a base for day tripping, and therefore did not require a central hotel. However, we did require a comfortable room and, unfortunately, Le Voltaire did not provide this.

This was predominantly due to the bed - a small double with a truly terrible foam mattress. With absolutely no support and a sunken middle section, it was impossible to get comfortable in any position, despite my partner and I flipping the mattress. I would recommend light or restless sleepers, or anyone who suffers from muscular tension or pain, to avoid this hotel.

The room was pleasant enough, with a separate shower/toilet - all quite clean. The staff were fairly non-existent and had difficulty in checking us out at 9:00 the next morning in spite of the lack of other guests.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple