“Seafood (Snail) Heaven”

Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Parcheminerie Toussaints
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I loved this restaurant. It was an excellent introduction to the seafood of Brittany. The first course of the of one of the fixed price menus was a seafood medley with a generous amount of langostines, pink shrimp (the pink once), grey shrimp (the tiny ones -- you get mounds).. The best seafood on the plate was the Bulots (brown snails) and the bigorneaux (black snails -- periwinkles). They were served raw with a seasoned mayo. The snails were fresh and delicious with the rawness not even an issue. It was a sublime eating moment. I could not wait to go back upon my return to Rennes. Once back, I just ordered the 33 Euro plate of food. This was heaped high again with all the same sorts of seafood along with a massive Northern Atlantic crab. It was all delicious. The restaurant gets very busy as the night rolls on. If you get there early, the staff will dote on you. Once the place is busy good luck finding your waiter.

1  Thank Boscobella

Reviewed 13 April 2014

...but we all opted for the beef!!
However, I did have scallops for a starter as they were in season. Delicious.
My host knew the owner, so we were treated rather well. Some excellent wine.
It's expensive for the platters, but well worth watching a model boat come out, bedecked with seafood.
I'd take my kids to see that, but I doubt I'd be back, it was too expensive, and I was about to experience wonderful food over the next few days...
But it's always open and worth a visit if you are stuck.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We had a great meal here on a Friday night. The place was very busy but service was very friendly, polite and professional. We do not eat shellfish and our waiter was very understanding and accommodating in asking the kitchen to make some minor changes to dishes. This is a very well-run restaurant.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

This was a business dinner with a group of about 10 people. The freshly prepared seafood (oysters, clams, fish) was excellent. Staff was very polite and professional. Price was not in the low end for Rennes, but this restaurant ranks about the best 10% I think, so good value for money.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Typical French Brasserie serving wonderful fish and shellfish.
Whelks,prawns,oysters, langoustines and moules to start with monkfish for main course.
As someone on here has said, Fishy Heaven, but you have to book. It was really busy the Friday evening that we were there and people were queuing outside waiting for a table.

1  Thank carmenmiranda21