“good food”

Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Parcheminerie Toussaints
Reviewed 12 November 2017

First visit and first lunch in Rennes ... bingo. Excellent food, very good wine list.
Perfect and efficient service, nice decoration. Good location.
I highly recommend.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,122)

Reviewed 6 October 2017

Great atmosphere in the restaurant ,friendly attentive staff, lovely fresh well cooked seafood at reasonable prices, well balanced and reasonably priced wine list.
Added bonus that the restaurant staff were knowledgeable about gluten free food, for people who have an allergy to gluten ,and who are not simply those making a life style choice not to eat gluten!

1  Thank jeff p
Reviewed 13 September 2017

Have been to Rennes five times over the last three years and have dined in this restaurant every time. Last visit was almost a year from previous one but when we arrived some of the staff knew us immediately and were very gracious and welcoming which was so lovely. The place is always buzzy and busy with most patrons seemingly local, the food is and always has been top notch, they know their sea food. I was feeling very unwell (fluey) on last visit but regardless really enjoyed the food I was just sorry that we didn't stay that bit longer to soak up the atmosphere, also feeling a lot better the following day we dined in the restaurant of a city hotel we have stayed in a few times on our Rennes visits. The difference between the two was extreme - La taverne - warm, friendly, gracious, the five star hotel restaurant - unfriendly, impersonal and cold, la taverne food - lots of choice, generous portions, beautifully executed and good value - hotel - tiny portions, limited options, poorly executed and bland! Upshot is I love La Taverene, have never had a disappointing experience and cannot wait to return.

1  Thank EMB1967
Reviewed 1 September 2017

Excellent seafood restaurant when your looking for something a bit more than just somewhere to eat. Friendly and attentive staff, and the fish we had was delicious.

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

On our stop-over in Rennes we found this restaurant and the menu looked ok - especially as sole meunières (my favourite) was available. At 7.45 on a Friday evening we hadn't booked so we sat next to the fish tank watching crabs and lobsters at play - but for how much longer???? My wife chose Parma ham and cod from the €26 menu but I opted for the sole. Our waitress (Fanny) was exceptionally helpful and polite throughout the meal. After a couple of apéritifs the meal arrived. My wife was very happy with her choices but my sole was up with best I have ever eaten. Cooked to perfection and beautifully presented. Desserts were great: my wife had the sablés de pommes and I chose the "Coupe Normande" including a healthy flavouring of Calvados. We have previously eaten at a number of Michelin starred restaurants in UK and Europe - so why 5 stars? We thoroughly enjoyed our meal, the service was attentive throughout and value for money was excellent. If you are staying in or passing through Rennes, this restaurant is very highly recommended.