“great weekend”
Review of Hotel Elizabeth

Hotel Elizabeth
Ranked #49 of 82 Hotels in Saint-Malo
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Having stayed at this hotel previously knew what to expect. Had a twin room in main building which was fine. Breakfast very good as usual -plentyof choice. Hotel situated in the walls so very convenient location for all restaurants and for transport links. Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 March 2013

Sad to say, we never arrived at the Hotel Elizabeth due to exceptional circumstances with our vehicle, but I would like to share my experience with the receptionist as a warning to other travellers. Our vehicle came off the road before we made it to Saint Malo, and even though things were stressful I did try and cancel my booking via a well known online booking company. Obviously with a 1000 things going on in my head I failed to do this properly. My mistake! However at midnight in a hotel hundreds of miles from where I wanted to be my phone rang and a woman from the Hotel Elizabeth started to scream at me that I was not there. I told her that we had been in an accident, that I thought I'd cancelled, that I was sorry. All she could do is literally scream at me and tell me that she was going to charge me anyway. Obviously she is within her right to do this as I failed to cancel my booking, but a phone call at midnight was not a nice way to be communicated with. Her English was good enough to insult me and take my money, but not good enough to accept my explanation or my apology.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Caroline S
Reviewed 22 August 2012

A quaint room in an adjoining building. Very clean and well presented. No close parking but no one minds if you park at the door and then move after unloading bags. e have only just got sorted and there was a knock at the door. Our daughter had been in contact with the hotel staff and they arrive with a birthday cake for my wife. They had gone out of they way to make a special day special. Thanks for taking the time to be nice. Lots of great resturants close by. Should have stayed a week

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Grumpy_Old_Traveler
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Having checked this hotel out on Trip Advisor before booking, we knew we had booked into the Annexe building so knew what to expect. Having spent the week in the Burgundy region, we needed a hotel for one night prior to catching the ferry in the morning. This hotel did the job well enough - the room itself was fine for one night - comfy bed and reasonable shower. We didn't have a view, but a mural of the beach was painted on the wall outside our window! The staff were very helpful and breakfast was very nice, taken in the atmospheric basement of the main building. As mentioned by other reviewers, the location of the hotel is brilliant for being close to all the attractions and restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank thefelixstowetwo
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I was a little disappointed with our room when we first arrived. I was expecting better furniture and a decent bathroom. However, on reflection the hotel is the second oldest (I understand) building in St. Malo so what can you expect? The staff are friendly and helpful and like to speak English. As we like to speak French this was a bit annoying but typical! Another reviewer mentions a smelly jute carpet and it is a problem in the corridor outside the room we stayed in which was located in the main part of the hotel.The bed was comfortable, the bath very small. There is a view of the city wall (just!). It is very, very noisy though being in close proximity to a couple of nightclubs. All in all we loved it!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you are a light sleeper!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vivienne F
Reviewed 3 June 2012

This is a small hotel but our room was extremely comfortable and had a great bathroom. The bed was was very comfortable and our corner room was nice. The hotel is in a great location just inside the old city walls and very near all the restaurants and attractions. St. Malo has many sights to see and a large assortment of nice restaurants.

With the hotel being located inside the old city walls, parking is very limited. However, right outside the walls are severalmlarge parking lots. Since the hotel is justminside the walls, it's a short walk from your car. While we were there, an art festival was also ongoing so parking was at a premium but we still managed to find a spot near the hotel.

I would suggest a nice leisurely stroll atop the city wall where can see and visit many of the forts, beaches just outside the city walls.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mljax
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I was a bit dissapointed with my room at Hôtel Elizabeth, where we stayed one night. Starting with the positive, the room is really well situated inside the walls and offer parking in a garage (with a fee). The staff was really friendly and helpful and the price was really reasonnable. However, I was expecting a much better room than what I got. I thought the rug in our room was really uncomfortable (some sort of breeded jute) and was rough under the foot and a bit smelly [to be fair, I don't know if this is in every room, and we were in the annex]. I didn't really like the fact that the toilet (with no faucet) was in a little closet (and I really do mean little), at one end of the room, seperated from the rest of the facilities of the room, at the other end. That being said, it only seemed to bother me as my husband found the whole thing to his liking and quite reasonable. In all, it might not be the prettiest room, but given it's location and the service we receive, it is quite a reasonnable accomodation and should be considered if you don,t want to spend to much for a confortable night inside the walls of Saint-Malo.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple