“A little gem of a hotel”
Review of Hotel Elizabeth

Hotel Elizabeth
Ranked #51 of 81 Hotels in Saint-Malo
Winchester
“A little gem of a hotel”
Reviewed 17 September 2009

A friend and I stayed five nights in this delightful small hotel where the owner, John Nicolas and his friendly team spared no effort to ensure we had a most enjoyable holiday. The location is good, away from the main noisy tourist area but convenient for specialist shops and restaurants. The rooms are comfortable and immaculate with little touches such as quality toiletries in the bathroom and tea and coffee making facilities. Interesting furniture, modern art and small sculptures enhance the general environment. The breakfast room is charming and provides freshly made fruit salad, cheese, ham, yoghurt, really fresh boiled eggs and the most delicious tiny buttery croissants. We were given much useful information about places to visit, how to get there and which restaurants were recommended. Consequently we had a full and interesting programme and some real "gourmet" experiences. I would thoroughly recommend the hotel to anyone wanting a special break-away.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Hebrew first
Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Elizabeth before catching the ferry on the next day. When we arrived after driving up from the Loire we were very pleased with the welcome and hospitality displayed by the lady who checked us in and helped us with a dinner reservation (the Bouche en Folie is excellent). The reception of the hotel looked clean and welcoming and we had high expectations of the hotel after reading some positive reveiws on trip advisor. We had even managed to get a car parking space right outside the hotel (2euros an hour).

We stayed on the ground floor in Chambre #1 in the Skipper which is an annexe to the hotel around the corner. The very helpful receptionist showed us to our room and offered any further assistance that we required. We cannot praise her highly enough. Unfortunately this is where the positive nature of our stay ended.

Chambre #1, and I can only assume the rest of the rooms in the Skipper are the same, was small with some some extremely dodgy looking polystyrene ceiling tiles that looked as though they had stepped right out of the 1970s. Some attempt had been made to update the room with a newish TV and padded head board and what my wife in formed me was some 'nice' toiletries in the bathroom. The bathroom was small and there appeared to be no real ventilation which explained the mould which covered the wooden frame and slats of the window and the edge of the mirror.

My wife and I had a very pleasant evening in St Malo, which is a beautiful town/city, but when we returned the troubles continued. I had probably my most uncomfortable night's sleep in a hotel anywhere. As with many hotels, there was a padded valance/sheet under the top sheet. However, this appeared to made entirely of plastic and 'crackled' every time either of us moved. It also made you sweat profusely as there was nowhere for the heat to esacpe. Eventually we had to remove the sheet and was able to snatch some sleep, despite the street light outside the room which also illuminated things nicely and my feet hanging off the end of what felt like a very short bed (I am 6' 2").

We awoke after very little sleep to get ready for the day's ferry. I won't tell you what I found on my towel as I dried, but it was short and curly! As we checked out I explained my concerns to the gentlemen behind reception who was, I assume, the owner. He was very apologetic at first when I explained about the uncomfortable bed and suggested that the sheet may have been placed on upside down. He became very defensive ,however, when I explained about the mould in the bathroom and said that he had never had any complaints about that room before and that all the trip advisor postings were very positive.

When I suggested that I was not willing to pay the full room rate for what had been a very unsatisfactory stay, his whole attitude and tone changed and he intimated that we were making these things up so that we could pay less. The conversstion ended with him cancelling our bill and shouting at me as I walked out of the hotel! A sorry end to what had been a very good holiday.

In summary, if you want to stay at the Hotel Elizabeth, ensure you stay in the main section of the Hotel, which by all accounts is very nice and comfortable, or make sure that you lower your expectations about the standards of comfort and service that you should receive if you stay in the Skipper.

I am please to say that during the ferry crossing we were able to catch up on some more comfortable sleep and received some excellent service throughout the ship - how it should be.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jamesBucks
Hawaii
Reviewed 10 August 2009

The location of this hotel is great. It is located within the walls of Saint-Malo. Although they advertise parking, do not count on it. When we arrived, we were informed that the manager had to park our rental car but he was not around so we were told to park outside the walled city. Easier said than done. Parking outside the city can be tricky as they fill up quickly. Also, please note that if you need to leave prior to 10 a.m. there is no parking attendant and you need to use the ticket machine to exit. In our case, we had to leave at 6a.m. to return to Rennes but ran into a problem with our ticket. Basically, the ticket machine could not read our ticket and there was no attendant there. After about a half hour, we were able to talk to someone through the intercom at the gate using my broken French to explain that the ticket was not working. In the end, he just buzzed us out for free. Yipee!

As for the room ... it did not have a/c so we opened the one window in it and suffered through a night full of squawking birds and loud mopeds.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank multitraveler007
PARIS
Reviewed 10 August 2009

it is a beautiful hotel and very comfortable. breakfast was good. most of the staff were excellent.

the bathroom had missed out on several overhauls. there was no window & ventilation was inadequate. sleeping with an open window was impossible thanks to a nearby bar, who's punters were very noisy when they left.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thewise75
Southern California
Reviewed 2 July 2009

My husband and I just returned from 6 nights in St. Malo. He was attending a solar wind confernce and I was on vacation. Our stay at the Hotel Elizabeth within the walled city of St. Malo was wonderful. The hotel is in a great location. The hotel owner is extremely friendly and helpful, providng wonderful suggestions for restaurants. His breakfast is great too! Our room #407 had a nice view of the harbor and the side streets of the city. The only down side is the noise from the seagulls during the night.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Triplet14
Northern California
Reviewed 15 June 2009

What a treasure! Very comfortable and so old world. The view from our window of St. Malo was classic Medieval Europe and so was the hotel (oldest building in the walled city). All very old except for the comfortable, remodeled room. We were traveling without exact plans in a rented car and the staff spoke perfect english, greatly helped our travel plans and made a great trip even better. We stayed an extra night!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elefthree
Toledo Ohio
Reviewed 13 June 2009

This hotel is a great treat. It is perfectly located and offers a great deal for the money. The proprietor seems to work 7 days a week and knows the local scene very well. He truly wants you to have a great time in a great little town.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple