“A nice hotel but no where near 4 stars”

Le Grand Hotel des Thermes Marins de St-Malo
Ranked #10 of 81 Hotels in Saint-Malo
Ireland
“A nice hotel but no where near 4 stars”
Reviewed 27 September 2010

We stayed here for 2 days and 1 night in mid-September. We booked it as a treat before we got the ferry home to Ireland. Both my wife and I travel for business so we appreciate a good hotel. This 4 star hotel is nice but it's not truly 4 stars. It's like a maze and at check-in, they didn't offer any sort of a map since the rooms are spread out over 2 large buildings. The door staff were excellent and for the most part, all the staff were polite and helpful. You always get a couple of moody ones but that's ok. The room was lovely but we had booked a mid-range room and had expected something a little bigger than the usual travel hotel which is what we got. And we paid far more than you would expect for it. We did use the spa linked with the hotel and it was ok, nothing amazing and the reception staff were a bit cranky. We also used the pool and it was salt water and in rough shape. Cracked tiles and in need of a scrub - this alone knocks off a star for me. The spa staff were more than nice so that was good. As hotels go, it's ok, not 4 stars and certainly not worth the expense.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Damian12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 5 August 2010

A busy season for us I decided to take a last minute trip 'solo' and was glad I did

First, if you are a maniac like me and enjoy clean, new rooms, be sure you reserve one in the NEW section recently renovated (apparently from other comments there is a huge difference between the renovated and those that have not been for some time)

Second I cant comment too much on the restaurants (gastronomic lover that I am) I was hoping for a *quiet* getaway however for the few meals I ate in I was always surrounded by screaming families of kids and as a SINGLE thrown in the corner and, geez, at the evening restaurant (le Verriere) the maitre d tried to put me next to the corner AND a freezing loud air conditioner vent (really crap table next to the service area) but I politely asked to be moved and was.... but helas still next to the mega screaming family tables.. yikes!

I cant fault the hotel on all these families; it is August and I realize it makes up a sizable portion of their clientele s but was a little put off that I was *always* placed (at breakfast and the one evening meal I had in) right next to table(s) of screaming kids !

*if the hotel asked me my opinion via an in-room survey or at checkout (they didnt)* I would encourage them to see out alternate means of appropriate seating (atleast at breakfast where there are two large rooms) to have a family and couples/singles comfortably installed

to the hotel management I know that the majority of your guests are indeed families but I would encourage you to be more creative and thoughtful of those of us travelling ourselves this is supposed to be a relaxing place (i noted a high percentage of solo travellers; especially single women)

other than that, I found the service smiling and very helpful, my room well appointed, comfortable and SPOTLESS the reservation person who helped me with my last minute request very professional and accomodating and
the spa was OUTSTANDING especially their pool parcourse which I loved!

I would recommend and will go back, the view is gorgeous, it was fun walking around for a few days in a robe and the water facilites are a real treat

Une grande remercie à Véronique (en réservations) qui était tout simplement fabuleuse!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
tennessee
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Stayed here as part of a Tauck tour. It is a spa hotel and I must say it is the largest spa I have ever been in. I did have a facial and it was very good. The restaurant overlooks the ocean as well as the bar which is lovely. The food in the restaurant was excellent and service was also. The rooms are a little small but they have included so many little areas to stow things that it is fine. Bathrooms are nice. The beds are comfortable. They have an outdoor terrace where you can sit, have drinks and look at the ocean. The hotel is a great place to explore the town of St. Malo as you can walk to St Malo in about 20 minutes. No air conditoning so you have to open the windows and I imagine there are rooms that overlook the ocean where you could get the ocean breezes. We did not have such a room. There also is a small balcony that has a table and 2 chairs you can sit out on.

• Stayed July 2010
Pittsburgh Pa
Reviewed 16 May 2010

Beautiful room, large with a king size bed, large bath, closets and a separate WC. Balcony overlooking the ocean, but the swimming pools were the absolute best. They are all heated sea water and very soothing to any sore muscles. It is pricey here but you feel like you are a special guest. The food is fabulous.....breakfast very good, the dinners are 5 star. My husband is very fussy about hotels and we had wandered here 10 years ago. He was delighted we found it again...will stay here in the future. It is a nice walk to St Malo which we did twice but it is very tranquil.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 3 June 2009

Other reviews have listed the facilities so I will not elaborate too much.
We stayed in the town view bedrooms, the cheapest available which was a, good size, very good mattress, nice balcony, all terrestial uk channels. The downside was that it was superheated by the midday sun and not having a/c stayed that way. Officially there is no internet connection in the bedrooms but we simplu used the internet feed to the tv and plugged it into the laptop which gave us unlimited free access.

Hotel is nicely decorated in a quirky 1980's style and waiters that still wear coat tails almost down to the ground.
All the food and drink is expensive and I was disappointed on ordering a gin and tonic to see no premium brand gin on the shelf.
Has no atmosphere in the evening and in the bar everyone whispers, ill be honest it was like being in geriatric city.
Didnt experience spa so no comments there however did walk the 2km into the walled town and was knocked out!! Its fantastic with lots of quality restaurants and upmarket classy shops.
St Malo itself is a great find and for sure we will return there. We would stay at the Thermes again but next time I would prefer to stay closer to the town center. The taxi back to the hotel was only 6 euro so its no big deal.
We paid 120 euro a night and considered it ok at that price but we did notice a Best Western very close by, The Alexander, which may be worth checking out as it looked ok.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank maranelloLondon
Jersey
Reviewed 12 May 2008

Located on the beach and about a mile and a half from the walled town, it is in a good location with excellent facilities. The room was very nice, though there was a plastic cover under the bottom sheet which needed removing for comfort. The room furniture was new as was the decoration.
The check-in staff were helpful but did not really explain the dress code for the spa or gym, this could be a language thing. They have a small airconditioned gym but extensive spa. The pool is salt water and warm, but again there are rules which are not so well explained in terms of needing a swimming cap and speedo's! Breakfast and dinner were excellent.

• Liked — Facilities
  • Disliked — A better guide to the hotel would have been useful
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Jsy-traveller
England
Reviewed 7 August 2007

My travel agent thought she'd never find us somewhere in Saint Malo - everywhere was booked solid, so with some misgivings ("It's not your kind of place") she booked us into here.

It's right on the sea front, and enormous. (Not my kind of place)

However, the room turned out to be a suite, more or less. Loads of space with its own internal corridor linking the big bathroom, big bedroom, wardrobe room and a curious separate WC.

There are two restaurants and we were automatically booked into one of them. I had a look beforehand and said I'd prefer the other one with a beach/sea view, which was gracefully handled by very busy staff. The view from our table in the second restaurant was stupendous with a storm lashing the sea outside, and the food was delicious.

Another night, I mentioned that it was my partner's birthday without expecting anything as a result. (Just making conversation with the waiter). Towards the end of the meal all the restaurant lights were dimmed and a cake with lighted candle was brought to the table while the smiling waiters sang Happy Birthday to you. Ahh.

Breakfast is excellent. I hardly ever remember hotel breakfasts - there have been so many - but I remember this one in a big light airy room with smiling waitresses and plenty of choices including many different pastries and cakes, which was a first. Some people at breakfast (warning!) appear in towelling robes from their spa treatments.

It's a bit of a way out from St Malo old town, but walkable. The nearby area is clean, safe and easy to navigate in the dark in a hired car. There are other restaurants (and shops) around the corner but the food at this hotel is far better, in our experience.

I'd go back there and would recommend it, despite it being "not my kind of place".

• Liked — Great food and service. Terrific sea-facing restaurant. Large bedroom.
  • Disliked — I can't remember anything to complain about, TBH.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple