“best place to eat in town”

Hotel France et Chateaubriand
Ranked #27 of 82 Hotels in Saint-Malo
Reviewed 3 August 2013

St Malo is a lovely old city but rather overun with fast food outlets,we had a crepe each and a cup of tea not far from this hotel 18 euros our first day what a waste of money
We had Lunch second dy at Chateaubriand Hotel well worth going to for decent food, service, excellant staff knew their food very well,which is always a good sign
We had smoked salmon and lovely fresh bread with French butter, and scallops for mains we never have sweets,but was enticed by warm pineapple b-b-qued,with ice cream and brandy snap plus bottle of rose wine and coffee, worth every penny of the bill 55 euros, take a walk around the Hotel there is some lovely rooms,dining room looks out onto square where the artists do their paintings ,and you can watch the world go by
would definatly use this hotel again

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I have previously stayed at this hotel (see my old review from 2009). I stayed here again with a student group for two nights in July 2013. This hotel has done some renovations to the rooms and bathrooms. This time I had a SPECTACULAR sea view (until the 'English fog' rolled in and ruined it!). My shower was updated with a rainfall type shower head as well as a hand held option. It was delightful.
My room was beautiful with the big French doors that opened to a view over the wall to the Channel. There is no air conditioning, but I did not need it--the beautiful sea breeze took care of it all.
I would definitely recommend this hotel as a romantic getaway or just for any reason whatsoever! The town is quaint and safe at all hours.
This was the favorite location for every single person I had on my tour (there were 18 total--both adults and students)
The 14 of July fireworks show was AMAZING as well.
Love this town and hotel!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the sea wall.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Madame44
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I had to take the sheets off the bed 3 times to make sure I was sleeping on a mattress and not box springs. It was ridiculous. I stayed in a "comfort" room, which is the lowest tier as I was the teacher in a group of traveling students. No window - I don't recommend these, but they freely admitted that the room is not normally rented. My students and the other chaperone said that their mattresses were just as hard. Some of my students had ocean views.

Room Tip: Not "Comfort".
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stayed here for two nights in April. I paid extra for the sea view and it was worth every penny to look out at the ocean whenever I wanted. The room itself was larger than I expected, and had plenty of space for luggage storage so we wouldn't trip on it. The bed was very comfortable, and the TV had a couple of English channels. The bathroom was nice, but our room did not have a shower - just the tub and hose/showerhead attachment to cleanse yourself. Not a deal breaker, but it is a bit of a pain to shower that way without getting water everywhere. Breakfast was good; not the best I've had in Europe, but definitely not the worst. It was the basic European continental, with DIY boiled eggs, meats, cheese, bread, etc...the plus here was the freshly squeezed orange juice. There wasn't any parking at the hotel (that I saw), so we parked right outside the city walls in one of the many parking lots surrounding the city with a discounted parking ticket from the hotel. The parking lots do fill up rather quickly with day trippers to Saint Malo, but it does clear out later in the day. Overall, I would definitely recommend the hotel!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dms9815
Reviewed 2 June 2013

This was a real, very old fashioned hotel although I think the girl at reception could have been a little more inviting and friendly. The hotel was lovely and so was the room. It was a large room and very clean room. The bed were comfortable, the linens were very nice. Did not eat here but the location was great for the one night we stayed in St. Malo. I recommend the hotel but there is very little to do in St. Malo. We walked the ramparts and had a less than adequate dinner at one of the restaurants on the square.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beryl K
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Stayed for two nights. Staff were great, room was wonderful. No (over the bath) shower curtain so difficult not to flood the bathroom but great shower and oodles of hot water. Food was good, dinner and breakfast. Beach was only 2 minutes walk and what fantastic beach it was.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I am a Travel Agent and have been fortunate enough to travel around and stay at some lovely Hotels, I always use tripadvisor to mainly look at the photos but to see what people are saying about them. I recently stayed at the Chateubriand with my Husband and two Friends and we had a wonderful stay . We opted for a Superior room which was on the fourth floor overlooking the square where all the restaurants were , I thought it may have been a bit noisy but I was pleasantly surprised , it was very quiet. The bedrooms were very spacious and the bathroom was lovely and modern and clean with a walk in Shower with a big Rain Shower Head. We had breakfast at the Hotel in the very tradditional dining room , it was Continental breakfast with cold meats, cheese, salami, boiled eggs if you liked and cereals, croissants , bread ,coffee with hot milk and various teas and best of all freshly squeezed orange Juice, The staff were very pleasant and we thouroughly enjoyed ourselves and are looking to go and stay there again in August , it is in a great location close to all restaurants and bars , I would definately recommend this Hotel and it dates back to I think 1780 so has some real History to it

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends