“No comparison, our favourite place in St Malo”

Hotel France et Chateaubriand
Ranked #28 of 82 Hotels in Saint-Malo
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We have been staying here as our hotel of choice since 1998, as an en route hotel to Disney or Paris. This year we had a "staycation" horrid term, but good to describe a break near to home!!

As usual we had room 354, a lovely large room with three windows, two of which look out onto the ramparts and the sea.

The air con is very good, and with the windows closed, we heard no noise from outside. If you dont want to hear the bustle of the busy square, then dont accept a room overlooking it, it will be noisy.

One complaint and that is very a poor internet connection. The best signal we got was from the toilet..... The slowness was definatey frustrating, but this is not the hotels fault.

The housekeeping staff are very thorough and obliging, and a useful addition to our room was a small fridge,

I would recommend the breakfast. At 12 euros per adult, (son aged 14 not charged), it is very good value, yes, you can get cheaper, but I think the choice and quality was excellent,

Fresh croissants, baguettes, pain au chocolat, crepes, selection of jams, honey, fresh fruit, prunes, fruit salad, Madelaines, fruit cake, yoghurts, toast, eggs, ham, salami, cheese, proper freshly squeezed orange juice, coffee, hot chocolate, teas, I am not sure what else one would want for breakfast in France?

We stayed for four nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We paid 790 euros, which we found very good value. Athough we didnt take our car this time, would recommend booking a car parking space in the underground secure car part the Cite hotel the Chateaubriands sister hotel.

1  Thank Kay W

Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed for a long weekend, having been to various hotels in St Malo over the years. This one is full of character and furnished tastefully with period pieces in the older half. There's a more modernised continental part but we weren't staying there. Our room was excellent, overlooking the square. Others have superb sea views. The restaurant serves good value meals either inside or on the terrace. People watching is perfect from here. The beach is about 100m away and access to the ramparts is round the corner. It's a perfect location. Staff were friendly and helpful - apart from one waiter who has been there a long time and never seems much enamoured of foreigners - but even that adds to the Gallic atmosphere!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Dogberry1258
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Nice old fashioned hotel. The room was very simple with a bed, a table and a wardrobe. TV didn't work. Bathroom looked like it was taken from a modern design magazine! Completely different from the rest of our room design. We've stayed in room 210 which had a lovely view over the main square. At night it was really hot in the room so we had to keep the window open but around 5/6am it was impossible to sleep with the cleaner cars driving around the square. A bit of a nuisance. Breakfast buffet was basic and I wouldn't say it was worth 12.50GBP. Overall we had a lovely stay and will visit again soon.

Room Tip: 210 room was facing the main square. If you want sea facing rooms ask for rooms on 2nd floor and ove...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013

My 16 year old son and I visited that wonderful old hotel in the heart of St Marlo, and we were so happy with our choice. We had a sea-view room -, which was amazing, comfortable and quiet. It was a fantastic base for sea side adventure, as well as lots of shopping and eating out. We would definitely revisit this hotel - none other would have the same charm in our opinion!

Room Tip: sea view is very much worth the money.
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The three of us (mum, my missus and I) called in here, on a day-trip from Jersey, after having pretty poor service elsewhere just yards away. But anyway...

The staff were very helpful and between our respective limited English and French, we managed to order three very good meals - two of which were vegan.

Food - excellent;

Service - also excellent;

Prices - very reasonable;

Feel of the place - very relaxing.

Enjoyed a good few hours there and when we ever return to St Malo for an overnight stay or two, it will be here that we stay - no question.

Well worth checking out if you get the chance - all of the staff do themselves proud :)

Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

This hotel was recommended by an acquaintance, and I chose it for my splurge during my month in France.

Two nights at the end of May, not far from the train station - a plus as I was on foot with a backpack and pulling a suitcase. It is just near the city walls, and a courtyard filled with cafes.

I paid more for a room with a seaview. I couldn't have been happier. Large French doors opened onto a small balcony and a view across the city walls to a ruins that you could walk to at low tide. I'm an artist, and spent my first evening painting my view from my window. Sunset from my window each night was magnificent.

My double bed and linens were very comfortable, I had a brilliant rain shower, nice toilettries and towels, nice heated towel rack that added just enough warmth in that space. Ample closet. No heat in the room, so I put on an extra blanket and was cosy.

When I first arrived, I opened the doors to my step out balcony and a gull flew to the railing to greet me. I was worried it would come in, but it was looking for a handout. The gull was there a few times, a gift from Mother Nature.

I was just a few steps outside from the walk on top of the walls. I took my easel with me and painted and sketched my way around the walls.

The desk was very helpful to me in making calls to the USA. I paid €6 extra for 5 short calls. The wi-fi cut in and out, but that also happened in Paris and other places. The wi-fi is the only reason I don't give my stay in this room 5 stars across the board. I'd go back here again.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Debra D
Reviewed 3 August 2013

St Malo is a lovely old city but rather overun with fast food outlets,we had a crepe each and a cup of tea not far from this hotel 18 euros our first day what a waste of money
We had Lunch second dy at Chateaubriand Hotel well worth going to for decent food, service, excellant staff knew their food very well,which is always a good sign
We had smoked salmon and lovely fresh bread with French butter, and scallops for mains we never have sweets,but was enticed by warm pineapple b-b-qued,with ice cream and brandy snap plus bottle of rose wine and coffee, worth every penny of the bill 55 euros, take a walk around the Hotel there is some lovely rooms,dining room looks out onto square where the artists do their paintings ,and you can watch the world go by
would definatly use this hotel again

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple