“Love this place!”

Ranked #23 of 81 Hotels in Saint-Malo
Wayland, Massachusetts, US
“Love this place!”
Reviewed 24 March 2010

I have been to St. Malo 3 times (from the States) and am in the middle of planning my next trip over there in July 2010. Absolutely adore St. Malo....romantic, quaint, historic, entertaining, charming, affordable....and the Hotel Chateaubriand is the BEST place to stay. The staff speaks English and bend over backwards to help you out. One note of caution: parking is at a premium. If you can avoid having a rental car for the better part of your trip, do it. (We arranged for a rental car at the beginning of our stay and ended up having to leave it on the ferry dock, where it collected parking tickets for 4 days.) I understand their parking situation is a little better now, but check first! They are just a stone's throw from the beautiful beach and last time we were there, a wedding took place on the parapet just outside our window. Not a dry eye in the house. The rooms are clean and well kept (more to European standards than American) but when in Rome....

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank lostmyluggage

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
weymouth
Reviewed 2 November 2009

spent two nights with my daughter during half term and loved our stay.great location,so close to the beach.we had an excellent stay due to the hotel and staff and also because it was hot and sunny.we ate in hotel restaurant both nights and thoroughly enjoyed the food and service.breakfast selection very good and breakfast room like something from a stately home.st malo is beautiful and would go back and stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009
1 Thank simongareth
Guernsey
Reviewed 3 October 2009

We went for a short break for my wife's 50th birthday. We chose this hotel from Aurigny's breaks (Guernsey airline). The only reason this is a 2 star is because of the room sizes -which are perfectly adequate. We had a superior sea view room - number 254 - and this was amazing. Own small balcony overlooking the ramparts and sea next to the museum in Place Vincent. Excellent service. Rooms very clean. Shower was something else!!! - very large with a giant overhead shower head and power shower. Buffet breakfast had a tremendous range - served in the period dining lounge with chandeliers. My daughter would recomend the hot chocolate! All the staff were very helpful. Secure parking was available at the nearby Hotel De La Cite - approx 50 metres away - for 12 euros per night. Situation and access were excellent.
Many restaurants around the square and under the ramparts with excellent food although a bit pricey - the euro was very strong when we went - 1.07 - so we suffered from this. We paid between 40 and 60 euros for 2 adults 1 child for main course, 1/2 bottle of wine, soft drinks and coffee.
We took a trip to Mont St Michel - approx 40 mins by car. This was beautiful, but again food was a bit of a rip off - 22 euros for 2 basic crepes, 1 beer, 1 coke and a bottle of water. However the charge of 17 euros (children under 12 free) to the Abbey was excellent value. The walk was steep but not as bad as we thought.
We would strongly recommend this Hotel and hope to go back soon.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
Dorset
Reviewed 16 August 2009

This was our second stay the first being in June 2008. The Hotel is still in our opinion of the same standard. The rooms are basic but clean and comfortable and the staff are friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast is plentiful with something for everyone. We would not stay anywhere else in St Malo as we believe this is a Two Star Hotel that should be awarded more stars. We would recommend this hotel as it has everthing a good location and is value for money. It is a lovely place for a romantic break.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank enjoytherest
Barnegat, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 July 2009

I agree with other reviewers--WHY only 2 stars? I LOVED this place! The location is wonderful--directly in the main square--opposite the medieval walls. Rooms that were above the 2nd floor and that were evenly numbered (I think) had gorgeous views of the ocean! My room faced the courtyard and had a spectacular window box of geraniums in full bloom. There was no air conditioning, but with the sea breeze, that did not matter. The main gates were locked at night to prevent people from wandering in. The rooms were immaculate. The bathroom in my room (Room 315) was a bit different. Our British guide called it a "wet room"--and that it was! The shower was not enclosed in any way, there was a drain in the floor in front of the toilet--see my photos--it's the only way to explain it! There were no in room safes or refrigerators. The location--we walked all around the town of St.Malo--found a jazz band playing in a square not too far from our hotel. There were lively cafes right in front of our hotel. We had dinner in the Chateaubriand restaurant which is attached to the hotel. It was delicious. Breakfast was also plentiful and varied. I would definitely stay here again--next time with my husband and not a group of teenagers!!!! ; - )

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank Madame44
Guernsey
Reviewed 21 February 2009

Hi Folks,

I don’t write reviews of “average” hotels at all. Most the places I stay in are average and never give me sense of encouragement enough to write something.

However that said from my experience in St Malo Le Chateaubriand isn’t really average ! It is what Brits call average, in the walls of St Malo it is actually very good.

The dining experience is one of my favorite in the walls. It has a genuine “Old Grandeur” from it’s dominant high ceiling interior to its commanding vista of the square.

It’s not really that uncomfortable to stay in, but to fully appreciate this you must stay in slightly more average hotels in St Malo.

It is also priced very well too.

The city walls are quite small and anything within them can be commonly called well centered, that is not really a problem in the Intra-Munros.
But saying that, Le Chateaubriand is better located by popularity of the area of the Intra-Munros, if that makes much sense !?!

My advice is that you can do a lot worse and not a lot better than this hotel. That’s probably still a little confusing and I’m probably not helping that much.

I guess the way to think is if its available at a price your happy with then book it but keep your expectations reasonable. Your room will be smaller than you might expect, hotel service will be a lot less than you would expect and facilities are not what you would expect for the price.

However they have a lovely Muscadet Sur Lie on the menu at about EUR 14. They do a superb Fruits de Mer and as you would expect a world class steak. If you order a wine at around EUR 40 then expect some special treatment and some seriously special wine.

Hotel Elizabeth is my favorite but it doesn’t really command its position like Le Chateaubriand and you can’t eat there in the evening, and it’s a lot more expensive. Hotel Elizabeth just has some really nicely done accommodation and probably some of the nicest owners you could ever imagine to meet. It’s a shame we can’t combine the two !

In summery Le Chateaubriand is pretty much the best you’re going to get in St Malo, have modesty in your expectations accommodation wise and you really will enjoy it. Remember it is classed as just 2 star and it does that job really well. The service and eating areas are nudging on 5 star !

I visited St Malo in December and below is a little extract of my experience at breakfast time in Le Chateaubriand I sent to a friend soon after….

“ France was lovely, simply decorated and a warm family atmosphere, I'm really
pleased we went over this time of year. It was lovely in the hotel seeing
the French families, grand parents, parents and children, all looking after
one another, the children set the table and brought the elders tea and
coffee whilst Nan's took naughty baby's outside and comforted them. It was a
real team effort but done so harmoniously and naturally.

The faded grandeur of the elders with fur coats that they obviously received
in much younger days, but were still part of a daily wardrobe, detailed
culture and history in just one glance. And strangely for such a politically
incorrect garment it echoed modern environmental ideals, this one coat was
to last a lifetime. The essence of a garment of such quality and expense
deemed it undisposable !”

I hope you enjoy your time in St Malo wherever you decide stay ! !

JTOC.