“Lovely hotel left a bad taste in the mouth”

Escale Oceania Saint Malo
Ranked #26 of 81 Hotels in Saint-Malo
London
“Lovely hotel left a bad taste in the mouth”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Arrival was great. This hotel is a 10-minute walk from the walled city, so while you miss out on the vibrancy you can drive there easily and park right outside (or in the substantial underground car park).
The receptionists were incredibly helpful and friendly, we made an amendment to our booking with no surcharge, and settled the bill in advance.
Speaking of bills, St Malo is not the place to go looking for a bargain. Even outside the city walls, we paid £172 for a family room plus breakfast, parking and tax for one night.
Our room was in a building further inland but because it was high we could see the sea. Those requiring a sea view should request this in advance.
The room was split level (stairs rather steep and treacherous) but had great Velux windows and was well kitted out. Style and quality! Bedding really comfortable – duvets with cotton sheets and the towels were good too. Beds firm, plus sofas, table, dressing table, widescreen TV, etc, and a good bathroom.
A lift went straight from outside our room to the car park, and there was free WIFI.
Terrible shame, but there was a big BUT.
Breakfast was sparse. While the French are not known for their cooked breakfast, this was really limited. There were a few other uninspiring items – nothing was home-prepared, coffee from a machine. A bowl of fruit was virtually empty, with cling film sticking to the fruit, and there was a big bowl of factory-made fruit salad which was really badly off.
After two more attempts at the fruit salad, allegedly from different batches (also off) I asked for the management. The Receptionist (a different one to yesterday) told me “I ’aff no authority,” and called the Manager. When he eventually deigned to turn up (making us so late that we nearly missed our boat) he told me “It cannot possibly ’aff ’appened,” and refused to believe that anything on his breakfast table could have been less than perfect. Only after I dragged him back to the kitchen was he prepared to concede that his restaurant had been serving semi-decomposed fruit salad. Very reluctantly he refunded the cost of one breakfast, but as I had paid the day before, my car was locked in his car park and I had a ferry to catch in under an hour, I had a weak hand. To be honest, a decent apology earlier would probably have done, but that did not appear to be part of the morning staff service.
So, since I was unable to make the management understand that serving gone-off food is a pretty big no-no in England, I feel that I should just warn fellow travelers that, while this hotel offers moderate value for money, and is reasonably well placed, with nice rooms, don’t expect any help from the management if something goes wrong.

Room Tip: Ask if you need a sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mablain
ESCALEOCEANIASTMALO, Directeur général at Escale Oceania Saint Malo, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Mr Blain,
thank you for your comments on your stay at our Escale Oceania Hotel in Saint Malo on July 22 2013. Yet I am still quite baffled by your reaction on checking out and find your version of events somewhat biased.
Even if I have to admit that the quality of the fruit salad we served that day at breakfast was not up to our usual standards, you may have overreacted and your comments sound rather unfair.
Indeed, let me just remind you that upon taking note of that inadequacy I proposed to refund a full breakfast at a price of 11 euros.
Here is how the incident could have been accurately reported: as you were vehemently asking the receptionist for an immediate refund for 4 breakfasts, she called me on my mobile phone, which I did not hear at first. I came down to talk to you as soon as I got her message.
When I got to reception hall I meant to greet by a customary handshake which you turned down angrily. You then started outright arguing passionately before all our customers that you should get a refund for 4 breakfasts with my apology.
You did not drag me afterwards to the kitchen as you have put it. I rather invited you to follow me to the breakfast parlour so that we might cooly appraise the problem together.
Our waiters thus informed me they had found out that the fruit salad they had served when you were present was souring, even though the eat-by date was fine. They also told me they had of course replaced it with freshly made salad at once. Once again, I offer you my sincerest apologies for that flaw.
As for the rest of the meal, we both agreed that it was wholly satisfactory.
I finally settled the matter by immediately refunding you 11 euros for your breakfast, but you left without thanking or saluting me in any kind of way.
I am pleased to inform you that our customers regularly praise the quality of our breakfasts. Besides, you must rest assured that we rigorously follow strict, state-enforced food quality control guidelines in all our hotels and that food quality standards are no less drastic here than what you seem to know them to be in the UK. Thus I double checked the eat-by date labels of the fruit salad in question and found that it was definitely not out of date: the hot weather we were having at the time might be to blame for the unusually quick fermentation the fruit doused in syrup. The sour taste you detected was just incipient alcoholic fermentation, which as you know is harmless.
I am however pleased to read that in spite of that incident, which we will do our utmost to avert in future, you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful old city of St Malo and at our hotel and will be very glad to welcome you again at our Escale Oceania***

Yours,
Martin Kolb
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This hotel is well situated 10 - 15 minutes walk from the old town centre. We chose a sea-view room for a small supplement, which was good. Sleeping with the french windows open listening to the sea.
The staff were really helpful giving us the benefit of their local knowledge for directions, restaurants and taxis.
The room was well appointed and clean - the maids came every day - maybe a little on the small side, but great for a short break.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms improve the higher you are. The fourth floor is great.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Sea view room ! no bigger that a cupboard over looking public toilets and then the sea beyond cost £162 00 advertised on Internet at £86 00 but as they are fully booked you have to pay what they say big big rip off not pleasant staff just shrug their shoulders and say that is what it is ! Never stay there again

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pippip_12
ESCALEOCEANIASTMALO, Gérant at Escale Oceania Saint Malo, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
We are very surprised by your comments concerning our hotel Escale Oceania*** of Saint Malo.
We can' t accept your opinion : you occupied a sea view room at the fourth floor and all our guests are usually 100% satisfied in these types of rooms.

We don't understand your reproach as "unpleasant staff" and we sincerely hope that you will recognise from previous comments that this experience was out of character.

During your stay at the Escale Oceania***, reception employees have seen you were extremely unpleasant with them.

In conclusion we prefer forget a bad experience

Martin kolb
Warwick
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We had a family room at this hotel and had a reasonable amount of space. The sea view we were promised was neglible - you could see it if you leaned out of the velux window but to be honest we didn't spend much time here to be bothered. The room was clean and even had a few UK channels (BBC and CBeebies!) on the TV which was great for families not having wild nights out! We used the private garage for our car and access to it was very convenient from our room, even though it was pricey (about 16 euros /day I think). Didn't try the food here but the staff recommended a few local, non-touristy restaurants and the one we ended up at was amazing, but certainly not somewhere we would have found ourselves.

It was a short (10-15 minute) walk into the walled part of St Malo, along the beach. There is a supermarket a couple of streets away plus it is a short walk to the nearest boulangerie. The beach is accessible by crossing the road, which was lovely.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Small hotel, but very comfy. We had nice view to the ocean from the window, very beautiful. Rooms were bit small, but it didn´t bother us since we stayed only few days. Breakfast was good. Hotel is within walking distance from the beautiful old town. And if you want to go to walk/jog on the beach in the morning it´s right in front of you! We also walked to hotel from the railway station so it´s not far from there either.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
ESCALEOCEANIASTMALO, Directeur général at Escale Oceania Saint Malo, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Dear guests,
We Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at l'Escale Oceania*** of Saint Malo and we are very pleased you had a good experience at the hotel and that you enjoyed our Beautiful town.

We are very grateful for your comments, and please rest assured that we will let the whole team know .

We hope to welcome you again in our hotel or one of the Oceania Hotels.

Martin Kolb
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Upon arrival, the staff were very friendly and helpful with providing local information. In being based on the sea-front, the location was great and not far from the town. The room itself was fairly small but clean, with all the basic amenities. My main criticism would be that the place lacked character and the food was disappointing.

Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank lizmb
Preston, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We stay in St Malo every year coming back from our adventures in France and always try to book here. Although it is a small distance from the walls and action of the old town, it is by far our preferred place to stay with great rooms and breakfasts.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Angela E
Dear guests,

We apologize to be late answering you.
We sincerely thank you for taking time to tell us about your stay at l'Escale Oceania of Saint malo and we are extremely pleased you had a good experience at the hotel and that you enjoyed our beautiful town.

We hope to welcome you again in our hotel Escale Oceania*** of Saint Malo or one of the Oceania Hotels.

Martin kolb