“I'd give this place a 3.5 out of 5--interesting place!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Belem Hotel

Belem Hotel
Ranked #42 of 81 Hotels in Saint-Malo
Los Angeles, California
“I'd give this place a 3.5 out of 5--interesting place!”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

The hotel rooms were quite large, and the shower was creatively made! The staff spoke pretty good English and there was a computer in the lobby we could use to check email if we wanted to. There was a nice sunroom and breakfast room off the lobby too that were decorated well. The breakfast was pretty good, though my friend was disappointed when they ran out of chocolate croissants. Negatives: the room was a little dusty (I had to wash off 2 hangers before hanging some clothes up), and there was a sharp smell of possibly paint when we first entered our room. We opened up the glass door for a while and that helped a bit. The location was kind of in the middle of nowhere, but for the value, it was a decent place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Millbrook, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2012

My husband and I stayed one night before getting the ferry to Poole. The advertisingstates there is a luxury shower. We had booked a large room as no smaller ones were available. The room was perfectly reasonable but the shower was the worst I've ever encountered in a hotel, the only way it worked was by pressing a button on the small shower head, there was nowhere to hang the head and it was challenging to shampoo your hair whilst holding the button. All the fancy shower nozzles and the large fixed shower head had no water coming from them and looked like they had not worked for years. I did not complain as it was late and we left early before breakfast. Also no tea/coffee facilities in the room or onsite and dire warnings about no food or drink allowed in the room. Receptionist friendly and spoke English.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room which have little balconies or your outside seating could be right on the p...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012

After a 9 hour drive from the south of France to St Malo, I arrived at the end of what looked like some sort industrial estate to find a very uninviting hotel. There was one car in the car park, poor lighting and absolutely no one around. I was with my four year old son and felt very isolated. Then there was no one at reception and found an automatic entry machine which did not work and had a message stuck to it saying call this number which I did. Then I got hold of a very rude and unhelpful woman who was totally unsympathetic to my situation and attempted to give me some codes to put in the door but was so mixed up and confused that she did not make any sense. I was standing there in the middle of nowhere with my 4 yr old son and could not get into the hotel. The conversation with the receptionist broke down and she pretty much told me to look elsewhere, which I did. I then got charged a cancellation fee as i booked through booking.com. I can't believe that, in the circumstances, i have been charged. This feels like theft to me. This was the most unwelcoming hotel i have ever been to and the rudest staff. Thankfully my son and I found a really nice hotel with a receptionist who was willing to help. An absolutely dreadful experience. If you want to stay at the end of an industrial estate tendered to by rude and unhelpful staff, then go for it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Gary275

Travellers are raving about these Saint-Malo hotels

Saint Malo
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Ideal Location for the hypermarket and access to Dinan, Dinard & Rennes
Staff friendly and helpful
Breakfast good
Rooms a bit basic but perfect for just a sleepover
Large room but bed seen better days

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Penny C
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2010

On arrival reception asked if we required breakfast, with children 2, 5 and 7 we asked reception if it was OK to book for 2 adults 8 euros each and 1 child 5 euros. This was OK as the family we were travelling with had earlier did the same, children 14, 10 and 6.

At breakfast, I can only presume it was the owner as she stood over us causing such a stink about the 5 year old having a boiled egg and we would have to pay for an extra breakfast.

£140 better spent else where.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank Family2and3
jersey
Reviewed 1 September 2009

Our trip to France was booked last minute and we needed to find a hotel for our last night. As we had an early morning ferry to catch we took a chance on this hotel mostly because it had a family room. We were travelling with 2 young children. As mentioned by a previous reviewer the hotel takes a bit of finding and a GPS definitely helps if u are not a regular visitor to the area. Whilst the hotel is just a minute off the main route south of St Malo the area is nice and quiet.
We booked a quadruple room. It was huge. One large double, a second double (just right for the 2 kids), a small 2 seater settee and 2 single armchairs. There was a seperate bathroom and wc. The jacuzzi bath was appreciated by all the family - though not at the same time! The room was tastefully decorated - nice and bright and clean.

Negatives are the omission of tea/coffee making facilities in the room and no onsite eaterie. But these are minor quibbles. The cost was, in our opinion, quite high for a 2 star - 145 euros - breakfast not inc, but that's the exchange rate for you and we were a family of four staying on a Saturday night. The hotel blurb claimed there were english sat TV channels but we only found french.
Would we use it again? Yes.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank beansrus
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 1 October 2008

Rooms are nice and clean (and big). The bathtubs have a bubble/massage function (not in everyroom - for an extrafee), really nice!
City center not close, you need a car. Reception and breakfast nice.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple