“Once Again Great Service”

Hotel Les Ajoncs d'Or
Ranked #9 of 82 Hotels in Saint-Malo
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We often go.
Stayed last weekend, enjoyed the area, the service from staff. They helpful as normal even with the early arrival, they took the bags in once we returned they were taken to the room. Feels more like 5 Star Service that 3 Star .

Room Tip: Restaurant is Breakfast only, and has a great selection.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I have stayed in Saint Malo many times over the years and was very pleased with this hotel. It seems to be an excellent find. As soon as I got through the door, the receptionist greeted me warmly and politely. The reception area is attractive, stylishly decorated and pleasant despite the rather austere external appearance of the hotel. There was a lift to take you to the bedrooms. I have to confess the first room I was given had a very squeaky bed, but as soon as I asked if I could change ( I am a poor sleeper), I was promptly allocated a new room. Both were very pleasant. They are not huge but not tiny either and both rooms were furnished in a tasteful style which was a complete change from the sterile chain hotels. Everything was spotless and looked brand new. I had read some comments on some web-sites that Intra Muros (the old part of Saint Malo) is noisy in the mornings, but I certainly didn't find it so today. The hotel seemed quiet even through there were obviously other guests there. The location is also as central as you could wish for and really there was little to fault with the hotel. It is not luxurious, but it is certainly not basic or budget style either. I was shopping and visiting friends on a 24 hours trip and it was perfect for this. Regarding parking, from 7pm - 9am parking is currently free in Saint Malo, both inside and outside the walls. If you can't find a space inside the walls. you can park just on the outskirts of them and it is only about 5 mins to walk to the hotel. There is a setting down space in front of the hotel. Incidentally, I left my car full of wine and shopping all night, and it was fine, even though on view!!!

Room Tip: Number 20 has a very squeaky bed! I had number 11 in the end and it was very good. The mattress is n...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Have stayed a couple of times now in different seasons and the staff have always been really lovely and helpful. Intra-muros hotels are in old buildings and can't accommodate the facilities that are needed for high star ratings like spas and gyms etc. but Les Ajoncs d'Or has the feel of a hotel above its rating. On the upside this seems to make them good value price wise. The rooms are nicely decorated - like a boutique hotel, fresh and clean with a good sized bathroom - again spotlessly clean and bright. It's in fairly easy walking distance of the ferry port and even less from the train station. The sound proofing is good but the area goes quiet fairly early. The TV has some UK channels which was great - my French isn't up to the others. The continental breakfast was really good with a lovely selection. There isn't a restaurant for evening meals but there are plenty very near by and I can't honestly say that I've had a bad meal in St Malo. It's a really beautiful old seaside resort town with lovely beaches, great restaurants, beautiful views and lovely countryside around about. There's lots of history and cultural stuff too. Everyone is polite, friendly and keen to show off their town and local produce.

Room Tip: I've never had a bad room here and usually just booked the basic one.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My parents live in Brittany and we visit them over the Christmas holidays. We always plan an extra day and spend the evening in St.Malo.
If you are thinking of visiting the walled town may I strongly suggest it. It is gorgeous. Situated just inside is the Hotel Les Ajoncs d'or. We stayed there the first year as my brother handled the booking. The following two years I booked the same hotel as we really loved it. The hotel is in the quieter part of town which over the holidays is a blessing.
Rooms are modern and comfy (maybe a little small) and very clean. I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Visited St. Malo as a relaxing sidetrip in the Brittany area. The weather was brisk but sunny and I had a wonderful time walking around the city. As for Hotel les Ajoncs d'Or, it was a quick cab ride from the train station. I arrived around 11a and though my room wasn't open, the staff graciously offered to hold my bags in the back room and then chatted with me about what to do for the day. They provided me with two maps and some fantastic personal recommendations about restaurants and things to do for the day. They were VERY friendly. When I returned later in the afternoon, I was told that my room was upgraded and they had already brought my things up! The room was very nice by european standards - not giant but very comfortable with a mini fridge and kettle, large armoire, desk with chair, arm chair, and queen bed. The bathroom was clean and modern, with great natural light. I didn't eat breakfast at the hotel but the atmosphere was generally bright and cheery. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Have stayed here before and enjoyed our return visit. The reception area and dining room has been re-decorated very tastefully in lime green and cream. Rooms have been upgraded and the ensuite bathrooms are excellent. Parking can be difficult but we were lucky to find a slot just outside the hotel. Pleasant and friendly staff. Good value for money - very good buffet breakfast 12 Euros pp. do stay here it has a lovely atmosphere and is right in the centre of the old citadel. Highly recommended.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sue P
Thierry P, Gérant at Hotel Les Ajoncs d'Or, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thanks a lot for your nice message. We hope we could receive you again in St Malo. More one time : THANK YOU...

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We were a little concerned about parking knowing St Malo quite well but we were lucky enough to find 1 empty space at the door of the hotel.
On entering we were impressed with the warm ambiance, the decor was simple but stylish. The staff were very friendly and helpful.and the room was cosy and very comfortable.
The bed was great and I slept extremely well.
The location is ideal for the ferry port and is a very short walk to excellent restaurants and bars.
We'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business