I shall probably read this review and think I was being a bit picky. The thing is...it mattered at the time! The hotel is overall a nice place to stay but I felt a bit deceived by the description on the website. That may be partly my fault as reading more reviews now I realise I could have picked up more relevant info.
Anyroadup...gripe 1. Looking at the map it appears the hotel is halfway down the road between St Malo and Parame but in reality it isn't! The hotel is 5 mins walk to the cafes, restaurants and lovely deli (where we had our breakfasts for 7euros-18 at the hotel) in what appears to be Parame on Google map and 30mins to St Malo fort. We are good walkers so a walk along a beautiful beach/promenade for 2miles/3.2km is ok. In less good weather it will mean a taxi or bus ride. Can't tell you how much that would be as we kept walking!
Gripe 2. We booked a room described as luxury with sea view for 157euros as a treat but don't feel we had a good deal. The sea view is there alright...between two beachside houses at the end of the road opposite and through a web of power cables (why can't the French bury the damn things?). In a luxury room I would have expected a/c but no, we had to have the window wide open as it was 30degrees (fortunately road outside is quiet!) and 20 at night. Might have helped if room cleaner didn't insist on shutting windows in daytime! Finally the shower over the bath was very poor with very little power behind it...luxury? I don't think so. Bed was comfy though and room very clean.
As other reviews have said lounge and bar is best part and the stairs are nice and a bit wonky! Garden is relaxing to sit in as well. All the staff we met were very friendly and helpful.
The location is good especially for beach lovers as it's one of the best we have seen and we've seen a few! The tide cleans almost the whole sand area twice a day so it's beautifully clean. Lots of activities too with sailing schools and kite boarding and in St Malo a clean sea water pool with diving boards. Families with children will find it just about perfect. Try a ferry ride over to Dinard for lunch...very swish!
To sum up I wouldn't say I won't go back to the hotel but not at the price we paid. Also don't bother paying 15euros to park in hotel carpark,the roads are fine.The restaurants nearby seem ok so St Malo isn't necessary for eating although you have a choice from hundreds all over the fort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- New in 2016 : Refurbishment of the Garden View Rooms, Sea View Rooms and Suites Sea View! (New beds, new pillows, new decoration, new carpets, new furnitures !) A stay at the 4 * Hotel La Villefromoy, it is the time for a break in a typical Villa of Saint-Malo, completely renovated by its owners. Everything is done for you to feel the soul of this charming boutique hotel by the sea. Get ready to relax and allow yourself a unique, personalized and unforgettable stay ! Couples, families or business travelers, the 4 * Hotel La Villefromoy is designed to break away from the daily stress . Once your suitcases in your room, make yourself comfortable in the cosy lounges overlooking the sea, reading a book on St. Malo and Brittany or enjoy a drink at the hotel lounge-bar listening jazzy music. Leaving the hotel, turn left, the beach is at 40 meters only ! You can reach the old city in a few minutes walk from the waterfront and enjoy a breathtaking view on the sea and on the monuments of Saint-Malo. A walk next to the waves or on the sand at low tide. Some rooms have a sea view. The decoration is neat and warm, mahogany flirts with warm colors, and elegance flirts with simplicity. Everything invites you to enjoy the serenity of the place. Discover the incredible breakfast brunch made with local produces from Saint Malo and the region Brittany and start traveling as soon as you wake up! Enjoy without moderation! Ideally located to discover St Malo, Dinan, Dinard and the beautiful Mont Saint-Michel, the owners of this house will recommend you the best restaurants and advise you on tours and incredible places unknown to the public! The staff, passionated about the history of the area will reveal you all the secrets of Saint-Malo ! Get ready to relax and allow yourself a unique, personalized and unforgettable stay ! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, LateRooms, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your La Villefromoy reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Villefromoy Saint Malo
- La Villefromoy Hotel Saint Malo