“Wonderful”

Ranked #2 of 81 Hotels in Saint-Malo
Calgary
“Wonderful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

I traveled to St Malo via overnight Ferry from Portsmouth, England, with my adult daughter. We were able to walk with our luggage from the ferry to St Malo and found the hotel without much difficulty. The host was most accomodating, allowing us to leave our luggage safely in his care, as we arrived very early in the morning and our room was not available until late afternoon. Also, most appreciated, was the fact that due to the original Ferry reservation being canceled due to weather, we arrived a day late. We were not charged for the missed day as he was able to rent the room out to another guest. I felt bad because we'd called so late the night before we were supposed to arrive, but he was nice. He also went out of his way to help us reschedule the next portion of our trip as we were unable to pick up our car rental on a Sunday ( was supposed to arrive and pick up on Saturday).

St Malo was my favourite place in my whirlwind tour of Europe. It was warm and sunny in a very rainy June this year. The city was so beautiful and it was a taste of the standard I will hold France to forever. My plan was to take a day trip to Mont St Michel, however due to the missed day, I was unable to get there. I do not feel that I missed too much, though I'm sure I did, but only because St Malo is so beautiful and I'm glad we spent the day there.

The parking for the hotel, though I did not use it, was a very short walk, just outside of the walled city.

The hotel is clean and quiet. The price was great for my daughter and I on a budget. It is located on a very quiet corner in the city though I also know I was there on a Sunday as well as not at high season. You MUST reserve ahead of time if you want breakfast and because of our short stay, we did not have a chance to taste the wares. However, many, many wonderful bistros, restaurants, and food venues, that I was able to sample from instead.

I would definitely stay again and hope one day I will.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Shanz73

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

We stayed for the second time at the beginning of August. We love St Malo and had a really enjoyable weekend. The hotel was clean and the owners were really helpful and breakfast (and particularly the homemade brioche) worth the visit.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had an ordinary standard room - very basic - but the matresses are really comfortable.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
N.Yorkshire England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

We stayed at the end of July - had a little problem finding the hotel(we arrived mid afternoon and didn`t have the full map) but eventually our hosts talked us through the maze of streets via the telephone so we could drop off our bags.We were then given instructions about parking and a reduced price car parking pass.The car park was just outside the city walls but very handy.The room was charming and spotless, the shower was a little tight but managable.The beds were comfortable and the English TV channels were a bonus.We had the in house breakfast which was typically continental but very good including excellent home made bread.Our hosts were wonderful supplying us with some excellent tips for restaurants,days out and all manner of advice.We would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone - tip - switch off the sat nav and get proper instructions/detailed map for the location.If the car parks look full use the ticket to get in and then wait for a spot to appear

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gordon1951
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

We stayed at Le Nautilus mid July. It's in the centre of Saint-Malo, so you need to park your car in the public car park (about 5 minutes walk from the hotel) and then the hosts kindly sort out free car parking for you for the remainder of your stay. Le Nautilus is refreshingly upbeat in it's decor, spotlessly clean and the hosts just can't do enough for you, particularly in giving advice on where to visit, Loeck (I hope I've spelt it right Loeck) even gave us really good advice on where to visit on the next leg of our journey in Brittany. Bedroom was spotless as well. St Malo was a lovely place to stay and when we visit again we will definitely be going back to Le Nautilus. Le Nautilus is how a small hotel should be run.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

We've now been to St Malo a total of 7 times, and this was our second stay at Le Nautilus. We liked it so much the first time that we decided to return and we weren't disappointed. We received the same warm welcome. Again the hotel was spotlessly clean throughout and has bright cheerful decor. A nice touch was a note in our room welcoming us back. Our room at the back of the hotel was very quiet and the bed extremely comfortable. As we said in our first review, Le Nautilus doesn't have the range of facilities you would expect in a large hotel but it has warm, friendly staff who are more than happy to advise on places to eat and provide any other tourist information you need. It also has delicious home-made bread at breakfast and really good coffee! The hotel was full throughout our time there so if you want to sample the delights of Le Nautilus we would recommend that you book early.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Forest Row, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful week staying at the Hotel le Nautilus in St. Malo. I had read some very positive reviews of this hotel but as all four of our party were so delighted with our experience of staying at the Hotel Le Nautilus we felt that we wanted to share our comments and our praise with others. On our arrival we received a very warm and friendly welcome from the proprietors and this warm concern and interest in our welfare continued throughout our stay. The bedrooms were great - though some reviewers have written that they are on the small size. However, we were very happy with our rooms and found them immaculately clean with very comfy beds. I particularly loved my attic room and really did not want to leave at the end of the week! With the hotel situated inside the walled city we had a great choice of restaurants and bars to visit and loved being able to wander through the cobbled streets listening to the street musicians and taking in the warm ambiance of the old city. The car park was a short walk away but we were not bothered by this and enjoyed going on several trips to explore parts of the Brittany coast as well as also taking the ferry across the bay to Dinard. Finally we have no hesitiation is thoroughly recommending this delightful small hotel and will certainly plan to return there again in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
henley-on-thames, uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

Delightful hotel. Friendly and efficient service. Excellent location, nice deco, rooms on the smallish side but really well shaped & designed. No car parking in direct vicinity of the hotel but it is walled old city so you need to be prepared for parking challenge. We will be coming back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple