“Friendly service, ideal location, and a great breakfast!”
Review of Hotel San Pedro

Hotel San Pedro
Ranked #29 of 82 Hotels in Saint-Malo
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed in St-Malo for one night en route from Mt-St-Michel to Roscoff. The hotel San Pedro was perfect for our needs. It's ideally located inside the walls of the city, tucked away against the ramparts away from the main tourist area. There are parking spots nearby - if you arrive after 7 PM, you can park for free until the next morning. We were there on a quiet night, and the manager kindly upgraded us to a sea-view room. The hotel has a nautical theme throughout, and the well-maintained rooms feel a bit like ship cabins - very compact! Welcoming and friendly service, and a delicious breakfast. Excellent value overall. If you stay here, we also recommend the crêperie Corps de Garde that's just opposite, up on the ramparts - delicious crêpes and a great view of the water.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bubbyk78

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here on the last day of our cycling holiday from Santander to St Malo. We were warmly welcomed and the hotel have a locked garage just around the corner where we stored our bikes over night.

We were pleased with our room, although a little bit more space around the beds would have been nice if we had stayed more than one night. We were provided with information about the city including a great restaurant recommendation just around the corner where we had three courses and wine for less than €25.

We didn't have breakfast as we left early to catch our ferry the next morning. The hotelier was very helpful and interested in our trip and everything was clean and tidy.

St Malo is a great city and I would certainly go back there and would recommended this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MAlice857
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This is a beautiful boutique style hotel whose upper floors overlook the Gulf of St Malo and out towards the Atlantic. I stayed here in late May and early June 2013 with my parents after a business trip in France. We arrived from Chartres via Paris and Rennes, taking the SNCF TGV (between Paris and Rennes) and various regional trains. The train station appeared to have moved since I was last in St Malo in 2004, but it was still accessible to the old walled city and we caught a taxi for about €10.

The hotel is cosy, charming and in a good location within the old walls that surround historic St Malo. It is only a two to three minute walk to the sea. The upper level rooms have panoramic sea views, and the sounds of the waves, seagulls and ferries can be gently heard through open windows. The rooms themselves are compact, clean and comfortable. The beds are fitted with quite luxurious white cotton sheets and good mattresses. I slept very well here. The booking processes was really efficient. Initially I booked online, but was soon in email contact with Mireille, the very welcoming, friendly and helpful owner of the hotel. Some weeks after I made the original booking I was able to add a room for my parents by email secured by the same credit card that I had first used to make the reservation. Mireille makes a delicious breakfast each morning. One of her specialities is a breakfast desert (cake or yoghurt based speciality) and this changes everyday. The restaurants in St Malo are superb, especially the seafood and in particular the mussels (a St Malo speciality). The Japanese restaurant next to the Hotel San Pedro is excellent.

The Hotel San Pedro was an ideal base from which to explore St Malo. The walking, the sea, the forts, the harbor, the shops and restaurant were all stunning. We especially enjoyed our trip across the harbour to Dinard, a beautiful day, and the resort town is quite different from St Malo, but similarly exquisite. It is possible to fly from the UK to Dinard, but for the same price (and much less if you don't get a cabin) we took the ferry (Brittany Ferries) back to England (Portsmouth). It was a very relaxing day long journey in brilliant sunshine and calm seas to the UK, another highlight of our trip. We were able to connect to a train in London all in the same day. Even though we were in St Malo at the end of spring/early summer, I would also recommend the city as a winter destination as well. I was first there in the winter of 2003/2004. It is less crowded, accommodation has good discounts available and was also remarkably mild/warm (for example, it was around 14 degrees Celsius/58 Fahrenheit with good sunshine in the winter I was there; much warmer of course in the late spring that this review is based on). Whenever you visit, the Hotel San Pedro would be an ideal place to stay; warm, welcoming and comfortable. I'm looking forward to my next visit someday!

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper floors have sea views and are well worth the extra cost. You can specify a s...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed here only one night, but we enjoyed the place. The room was tiny, but well designed. Good beds too. I think it has the world's smallest elevator! The lady at the desk was so kind and helpful; she arranged a covered parking place for us and recommended several excellent restaurants in walking distance. The price was excellent too! We would stay here again in a heartbeat. Oh, and the location is a "10" with the city walls a few steps away where you can walk around the entire city.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Randy S
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed one night based on an older Michelin recommendation and generally good reviews on the hotel. The place is clean and the rooms are more on the small'ish side but the furniture (more Ikea type) could definitely get a re-vamp and it would not cost that much.. This is one of the rare locations where the GPS did not work well as the indicated address did not exist, we recommended that they put it on their website to let people know in advance. Apparently, other guests have had similar issues and this experience was not unique to us.

Mireille, the owner, was friendly but that at times her overture came across as an exaggeration (perhaps just the style?).. there is a phone in the lobby that you can contact her anytime in case of emergency - so the intentions appeared to be genuine..

The best part for us was the location. You just cross the road and found the beach which was one of the best part of St. Malo

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nathalie H
Reviewed 14 November 2013

One word, Marielle. A wonderful, friendly woman who runs the hotel took care of us for our stay. She tries to help in any way she can, even through our language barrier, she managed to make our vacation in St. Malo that much more enjoyable. Each morning was something we looked forward to as she made breakfast such a delightful experience. Definitely sign up for breakfast when you book you're room-- it includes fresh fruit, yogurt, a variety of bread, cheese, coffee and juice, and each day she fixes something different as well.

We stayed in room 402 which offered a great view of the sea, just be warned that the elevator is incredibly small, so stairs is the more reliable option even if you're tired from running around St. Malo.

The room is small, but remember you're only there to sleep!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank theGirlWhoTraveled
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I booked this for a two night stay in St Malo on the strength of previous reviews and my expectations were exceeded. It is truly a charming hotel, very tastefully decorated with lots of personal touches from Mireille, the owner, who herself could not be more helpful or welcoming. The room was actually bigger than I expected and very comfortable provided you don't have much luggage, but the lift and the bathroom were the smallest I have ever seen - a masterpiece of interior design and engineering. But they both work fine. Breakfast was really good, with fresh fruit, cheese, and a daily special such as a crepe. I will definitely stay there again if I return to St Malo.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo