“Poor Customer Service”

Le Parc des Marechaux
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Auxerre
Reviewed 17 August 2014

When I booked this hotel via their website they took the money immediately (six months ago) but no Email confirmation and nothing on the website. So the only evidence I had of my booking was my credit card statement.

The hotel is a strange mixture of old fashioned yet newly renovated. Dingy blue everywhere.

Then on checkout, they charged an additional 13 Euro a head for a cold and pretty poor breakfast. Because of their poor communication I had no idea breakfast was extra. Wouldn't have bothered!

Avoid. Find a motel!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Graham330

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This hotel is run by a staff that loves to show real hospitality. A very warm and comforting reception, a beautiful garden with a nice swimming pool, near to the charming town of Auxerre. The room was rather small but adequate. Many compliments, we enjoyed our stay here very much!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Over the last 15 – 20 years, we have stayed at l'Hôtel Parc des Maréchaux on a number of occasions and we have always enjoyed our stays there. It is a slightly quirky, eccentric hotel of considerable charm. Admittedly, we have not stayed recently following the closure of one of our favourite restaurants in Auxerre some years ago. However, we recently decided that it would be pleasurable to return to Auxerre and accordingly we attempted to book a room whilst touring through France.

On the evening of 8th July (whilst we were close to Nice), I made an on-line reservation for a superior room at Parc des Maréchaux at a rate of €139 + local tax for the night of 11th July. Although I thought that I was making the reservation directly with the hotel, the reservation seems to have been handled via the NovaResa web-site to which I assume the hotel directs its on-line reservations.

On 9th July (at 19:29 French time), a manager at l'Hôtel Parc des Maréchaux (whom I will call OP) sent me an e-mail saying that my reservation had been cancelled. I did not read this e-mail until the morning of 10th July, but the e-mail message from OP did not give any reasons for the cancellation. I did not understand the e-mail message because I had certainly NOT cancelled the reservation. I therefore telephoned Parc des Maréchaux to try to find out why my reservation had been cancelled. My first telephone call was at 09:16 on 10th July. I spoke to another manager (whom I will call QR) and said that I did not understand why my reservation had been cancelled. She proved to be very unhelpful but partly blamed this on the fact that she was alone in the reception with people waiting, which was fair enough. She asked me to phone back in 2 minutes. Over the next 65 minutes, I made a further 5 phone calls. Each time I phoned, she asked me to call back in a few minutes (variously between 1 and 5 minutes in the five calls) but, each time, she maintained that I had cancelled the reservation and that I did not want to reserve a room (both untrue). She said that she would send me an e-mail proving that I had cancelled my reservation. Eventually, an e-mail from QR arrived to which a PDF from NovaResa was attached. This arrived at 10:19 French time and I received it after my sixth phone call. This showed that my reservation was cancelled shortly after I had made it because of an error in the payment. In the interim, I had phoned my credit card company to try to clarify what had happened because I was concerned about the security of my card. They told me that the reservation had been declined because of ‘irregularities’.

At 10:33 French time, I phoned Parc des Maréchaux for the seventh time. Apart from this (seventh) phone call, QR simply refused to discuss the problem. She simply kept asking me to phone back saying that I had cancelled the reservation. Note that at no stage did QR offer to phone me back. I explained to QR that there appeared to be a problem with either NovaResa and/or with my credit card company. She would not accept this and kept saying that ‘You (i.e. I myself) do not want to stay at Parc des Maréchaux, you cancelled your reservation’ which of course was quite untrue. She said that there were rooms available but that I had to write an e-mail giving my credit card details. This I was not willing to do because of the insecure nature of e-mails. I said that I would give her my credit card details over the phone. She just kept saying that ‘You (i.e. me) do not want to stay at Parc des Maréchaux, you cancelled your reservation’. It did not seem acceptable to her that I should make a reservation by telephone. Eventually, my wife and I got tired of trying to rectify the problem at my expense. By then, I had made seven phone calls to Parc des Maréchaux. The total time of these was in excess 15 min over a 75 min period. After the last (seventh) phone call, I was left with the distinct impression that QR was simply refusing to accept my reservation because she did not want our custom. Therefore, we phoned another hotel and made a telephone reservation with them. We did not want to spend any more of our holiday trying to communicate with such an obdurate individual.
Eventually, I received an e-mail message from QR (11:08, 10th July, but note that I did not read it until the evening because by then we were driving to our next destination) which was slightly apologetic and admitted that there had been a problem either with NovaResa or with my credit card company. She offered to hold a room without a credit card number. She thus confirmed that everything that I had said was true and that I had not cancelled the reservation. However, by that stage, it was too late to remedy the situation as we had already reserved a room at another hotel so I declined the offer. It is also worth noting that, in this e-mail, QR offered a room at the full tariff (139 €) when the prices of rooms at Parc des Maréchaux were already being discounted very significantly at the NovaResa web-site, presumably because of vacancies. Her message was erroneous because I did not need her 'to confirm this reservation without your credit card in guarantee'. I had been willing to provide my credit card details by telephone.

Overall, I found the attitude of QR very disappointing. She made no effort to resolve the problem and my interpretation of her attitude was that (a) she did not wish to accept my booking by telephone (b) she thought that I was not telling the truth, (c) she did not think that we were ‘suitable’ guests. I have been regularly touring by car in France for about 30 years and I have never before encountered such behaviour.

When I returned to the UK, I wrote by e-mail to Parc des Maréchaux detailing my experience. After one week, no reply had been forthcoming. I therefore sent the e-mail again. A further 14 days have now elapsed and, as yet, no-one from Parc des Maréchaux has had the courtesy to reply. Draw your own conclusions!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MADPhilOxon
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel could be much more than it is. It's has amazing potential. Nice garden and pool - not lux but nice. Personable outdoor cat!
They need qualified staff and an attitude of making people feel welcome, it was extremely clear that guests were an inconvenience,
Beautiful park but no picnics! There's a big sign, you must buy everything from them, they have a limited menu and no service, the gentlemen told us he would try to bring us food but it would be a long wait and he couldn't promise, but also told us we must be quiet and whisper...at 6pm on a Saturday night outdoors in a garden! They have a huge menu in the rooms, unfortunately, none of that food was available....it's apparently an old menu, their menu is limited and took 90 minutes for half our order and we were charged for items on our hotel bill that we eventually just never received.
Traveling with a group, 2 of the 3 reservations were screwed up, one didn't have a reservation in the system even though they had a receipt that they had prepaid, they did find her a room since she had already paid. One was charged twice and they didn't know how to credit it back on the charge card, they were able to confirm a credit 24 hrs later.
We really wanted to like this place and would love to return to better service.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank carol s
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Nice building, territory (small park) & helpful staff. Easy to find. Central location, quite, in walking distance to restaurants. Free parking. Good breakfast with yogurt, musli, eggs, cheese, ham, sausage, fruits! Free WiFi in room. Outdoor swimming pool.

One eve WiFi was not stable. Pool was closed, seems not used at this time of the year. City was dead on Monday eve, brasserie Taverne Karlsbrau saved situation even after 9.00PM!!!

Room Tip: I'd prefer the room facing the park... looks more quite
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The hotel itself was quite acceptable. Unfortunately we arrived on a day when a private party was using the outside facilities which meant we could not enjoy an evening drink in the garden before walking into town to eat. When we returned we did manage a drink before bed but we were bitten to death by mozzies. In the morning we were told we could not take our breakfast on the terrace as this was being used by ....... Yes you guessed it, a private party so instead of paying 13 euro each for their breakfast we went back into town found a lovely bar to serve us coffee and although they did not provide breakfast encouraged us to buy some divine pastries from the bakery near by and some fruit from the green grocer our bill for 4 people came to less than 20 euro a huge saving on the hotel breakfast.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I don't mind small rooms and bathrooms - that's part of the charm of old Europe. I chose this hotel because the gardens looked beautiful. My daughter and I planned to have a picnic dinner in this beautiful garden. Upon arriving, we were told that a private party had use of the garden so we couldn't use it for our picnic. There was no effort to accommodate us. Every idea I had was shut down with a simple, "No, that is not possible." We ended up eating our picnic dinner in the dining room which was overcrowded with too many tables. In the morning, since the weather was so nice, we wanted to eat outside. Same story. A private party had use of the patio. I asked it we could set up another table a distance away. Again, "No, that is not possible." We had our VERY overpriced breakfast in the dining room. They did compensate us a little with a reduced rate but I had to suggest it. They may have pleased the private party but they definitely irritated more than a few other guests!

1  Thank ch1225
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auxerre
Hotel Normandie Auxerre
#5 of 21 in Auxerre
Moulin de la Coudre
Moulin de la Coudre
#1 of 3 in Venoy

Been to Le Parc des Marechaux? Share your experiences!