“Hotel du Cigne”
Review of Hotel du Cygne

Hotel du Cygne
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Auxerre
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I enjoyed my stay here with my family; 2 adults, 2 children both under 7. We stayed in a family room at the back of the hotel and it was just right for us. The room we stayed in was nice an quiet. The hotel is close to the old town and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: The room at the back was nice and quiet - a long way away from the street.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 August 2011

The hotel is a little tired and could use some renovation. Beds are very soft, to the point of being not comfortable for a good night sleep. Little-to-no English spoken. However, owner/service clerk try to help as much as they can. Our pigeon French was good enough for finding out everything we needed. Didn't take breakfast, so can't tell. No restaurant on site, but plenty of good places to eat within 10 min walking distance. Location is good, right on the edge of pedestrian zone. Walk to everything: 10 min to the clock tower, 15 min to the cathedral, 20 min to the abbey. Parking in the backyard is on a smaller side. I broke sweat fitting my rental 5-series Citroen into what little space was left when we arrived at 9pm. I believe they charge E7 for parking.
Overall, adequate for the money.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelingWithFriends
Reviewed 28 April 2011

This was a decent hotel but should only rate one star. The room (#17) was decent sized w/ a separate toilet in one room and shower/sink in another (it was all in the room, but different sections). The toilet room smelled of mold but appeared clean enough. The toilet didn't flush w/ much strength. The shower was dirty with mold. Ick. The bed was fine and had extra pillows and blanket. Strangely, there was only one spare electrical outlet in the entire room. I had to remember (because it was below/behind a nightstand) to unplug my battery charger since I couldn't actually see it. Secure parking was Euro 5 a night (no problem there) right below the room. We did not try the breakfast. We would not return to this hotel but would definitely return to Auxerre, a wonderful town.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelmeisteren
Reviewed 19 September 2009

Wem love town centre french hotels, and this was ideally situated. Friendly reception, and the room reasonably sized with seperate washing (inc. hairdryer) and toilet. However do not accept room 33. The toilet absolutely stank, and the smell never shifted whilst we were there. The shower had a case of mildew and the shower head was broken so had to be held in one hand whilst showering.
Whilst the main restaurants were in town, mainly down by the river, we ate a very pleasant meal a few yards away in the cafe "Victoria", (same side away from town), opens at 7pm, but get there early as it did fill up, (mainly hotel clients).

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2008

I stayed at this hotel on a trip to Auxerre with my teenager. We had a triple (all they had left) but enjoyed the extra room after a few cramped nights at other locations. The room and bathroom were very spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff spoke no English, but were friendly. We opted for breakfast at a local pastry shop rather than at the hotel. I loved how close we were to the old, central part of town and its big, lovely cathedral. I would highly recommend this hotel to the budget traveler, especially if you want to avoid the big chains.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2007

My mother and I stayed for a long weekend in April. We needed a hotel close to town centre as we were organising the last details of my wedding which was taking place in June. Our first impression was that the hotel was clean and ideally located - just 2 mins walk from the main pedestrian area of the town centre.
However....
the breakfast at €11 was a complete rip off. Miniature pastries, some plain yogurt, 3 types of cereal and tea/ coffee. That's it!
They also got annoyed with us for not telling them we did not want breakfast on the 2nd morning - well if it wasn't such a rip off we would have done!
Also please note that they do not like you returning to your rooms during the day and you must leave it by 11am for the cleaners. This wasn't a major problem until Sunday when we discovered that the hotel CLOSES from 11am until 6pm. Yes that's right, you are kicked out for the whole day. Had we known this in advance we would have hired a car or arranged some kind of day trip. Auxerre while being a lovely town basically shuts down on Sundays and my mother and I were more or less walking the streets looking for something to do. I have never come across this in a hotel before.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank PaulaVois
Reviewed 7 December 2006

Good value for little money. Great location: just outside old city and near the Tuesday market venue, yet our room was quiet. Staff did not speak english, but tried their best to please us. Room decor outdated however it was spacious, same goes for the bathroom (large tub, bidet, the works). Nice stay.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)