“Wonderful”

Ranked #2 of 62 Hotels in Beaune
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have stayed at the Hotel Cep several times and each time is better than the last. The staff are charming and helpful. The location is ideal. The hotel has a special, old-fashioned charm that is all its own and is the polar opposite of a modern chain hotel. For me it is perfect, and I hope I will stay there again soon.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RobinLee126

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
London
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed in Hotel le Cep for three nights and thought it was great. Unfortunately, we didn't get to eat in their restaurant as it was full on the Saturday night when we arrived, and closed on Sunday and Monday. The hotel is a mixture of beautiful antique furniture in dark woods and red upholstery, and modern vibrant furnishings and colours. Their are two lounge areas, and a bar with sofas and seating in at the back of the reception area, which sounds a little strange, but it works. There is also seating outside, where you can also eat breakfast on sunnier days. Breakfast is served until a highly respectable 11am! The staff were very good. They were very friendly, approachable, professional and incredibly helpful. The hotel is centrally based so the shops, restaurants and bars are extremely accessible. I would highly recommend Hotel le Cep, and if we find ourselves that way again it will be the only hotel we would stay at.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Josie-Annie
San Antonio
Reviewed 11 August 2014

On a recent trip to France, I had the opportunity to stay 2 nights at Hotel Le Cep. The hotel is in a great location, with easy walking to the city center within the original walled city. Shops and restaurants are plentiful. If you are in town on a Saturday morning, the market is a must see.
The hotel staff was welcoming and accommodating. We received an upgrade on our room to a very spacious suite which was decorated in true French décor. The bed was very comfortable. It would have been helpful to have more power outlets for charging cameras, phones etc. The hotel is very clean and well kept. We especially enjoyed the various courtyards which were maintained in an excellent manner.
I do not hesitate to recommend the hotel due to its location, staff, service and well run business. You will certainly enjoy your stay

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TXtravler09
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We've stayed at le Cep on 3 other trips and always found it a good value. When we arrived in July 2014 for a 2 night stay we expected the usual good service and comfortable room. But we got great service and a wonderful room. The lounge seemed even better than usual and the drinks were perfect. The courtyard was even better than our last breakfast and we enjoyed generous and delicious breakfasts there. So, our congratulations to whomever manages le Cep -- you've kept an old property elegant and fresh. We look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Every room we've had has been good but that over the courtyard was excellent.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I spent 3 nights here, end of May, early June this year and found it excellent. We arrived by train and the hotel arranged a taxi. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful and more than willing to speak French with me and compliment me on my just usable skills (Monsieur, vous parlez bien) even though their English was generally better than my French. They were very helpful with dinner reservations and always smiling. This is exactly what we look for in a hotel, old world charm and a great staff although it lacks some of the perks of a modern building. Le Cep is located in walking distance to many restaurants and l'hotel de Dieu. We rented a car to tour the vineyards, and as one other rater noted, you just pull up in front and give the attendant the keys. We would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I originally booked a premiere cru room but was upgraded to a grand cru suite so I can only comment on that room, and what a room it was -- quite large and beautifully appointed. In addition, Le Cep was able to accommodate my early check-in request as I had arrived at Orly early that morning. As far as I can tell, the hotel was assembled from a number of buildings that were built over the last century or two. I mention this because while "old" can often mean quant and beautiful, sometimes it comes at a price, in the form of things that don't quite work right. In the case of Le Cep, that was most definitely not the case, with electric, internet, bathrooms, air conditioning AND Nespresso machine all working perfectly.

Now to address some of the criticisms I saw in some recent reviews. Le Cep is smack in the middle of the old part of Beaune, a perfect location in my opinion, as it is within walking distance to everything. The fact that driving to the hotel is a little tricky for some due to the number of one-way streets in the old part of town is no fault of Le Cep's -- my GPS-equipped rental car got me from Paris to the hotel with no problems. I took advantage of Le Cep's valet parking and things could not have been smoother--for those looking to find their own parking in the middle of Beaune, particularly on a market day, you are braver than I am. I think the criticism of the small lobby are a little overblown--I don't think large groups are arriving, or departing simultaneously very often -- and there a interesting rooms on either side of the lobby that one can use for quiet time. Finally, the adjacent restaurant is expensive but was very good. However, there are so many excellent restaurants within walking distance of Le Cep, that I wouldn't criticize Le Cep for lack of a restaurant.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TreasuryBill
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is a hotel with 5-star service but 4-star facilities. The double room had a comfortable king-sized bed surrounded by a lot of rather rickety old furniture which made the room feel smaller than it was but the bathroom really was tiny and the separate WC was even smaller still, so much so that I could use it comfortably only if I left the door open and it was impossible to use the over-bath shower without steaming up the bathroom and soaking the floor. Reception was always very well-staffed and they offer valet parking - but charge you €18 per day to park in their easily accessible car park whether you use the valet or not, which seemed illogical somehow. The public spaces are large and comfortable and breakfast was good if a little pricey at €20 each for a buffet, but full marks for the professional orange juicer. All in all this is a nice place wi a luxury vibe and was good value.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple