“A must experience in Beaune” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #44 of 205 Restaurants in Beaune
Price range: US$63 - US$101
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The gourmet restaurant "Le Clos du Cedre", nestling in the heart of a park, occupies the house of a 19th century master wine grower. The dining room is a suite of rooms with character, with original mouldings, panelling and wooden floors. Beautiful terrace in the gardens where you will be able to enjoy the summer days. Orders are taken for dinner between 7 and 9 pm. Menu from €48.00.After a career path under the stars that begins in Burgundy, continues in the Bordeaux area through the Loire valley, Chef Christophe CANATI chooses to come back to our beautiful region in order to lead the kitchen of the restaurant Clos du Cèdre.Caring much about the quality of the produce he proposes, he definitely gives priority to local producers.His cooking is sober and yet sophisticated, leaving to every dish its authentic flavours.His fulfilling work experience took him around the world, having him discover many culinary traditions.His talent skillfully blends vegetables, spices, flavoured oils and aromatic herbs. Burgundy wines are not left behind, playing a major role in his cooking as well.
Wrentham, Massachusetts
“A must experience in Beaune”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

This one star restaurant is in a separate structure from the Hotel le Cedre which features it. The dining rooms are a series of intimate, yet spacious rooms of a small chateau like structure. The ambience and the appointments are simply elegant. This is a place for a special occasion!
The service is warm and engaging and wonderfully attentive. As for the food it is bound to tantalize the most adventurous palate. We enjoyed appetizers of chicken larded with fois gras and 64 degree eggs over an asparagus puree. The eggs were the biggest surprise as the flavors literally jumped off the plate. For the main course I must mention the veal chop with mustard which was done to perfection and one of the best I have had.
The wine list is prolific but in burgundy that is a joy. The pricing was reasonable, if on can ever say that burgundies are ever reasonable.
Its expensive but it is worth the splurge.
By the way, on a warm night it would be delightful to sit outside on the grounds as the traffic dies down considerably by dinner time.

• Visited October 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely delicious meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

We had a gourmet meal in the restaurant which is part of the Hostellerie de Cedre hotel where we also stayed. It was part of a present for my partner for his birthday. The dining room is smart and relatively large although the way it is laid out with two main rooms and several side areas, means it has a relatively intimate feel about it. There were effectively eight courses including two amuse bouche. The maitre'd explained the menu and because my partner does not eat poultry (which was the main meat course) they offered lamb or filet of beef as substitutes; we both had to take the substitutes so we had the beef. The food was imaginative, beautifully presented and to a high culinary standard. The service was excellent and relaxed, with the pace of the meal just right - not rushed but not slow either; there was a very helpful and knowledgeable sommelier.

For the starter there was Asparagus shavings with slow poached egg, which was delicious. The fish course was Smoked monkfish on minestrone vegetables and whilst we are both wary of smoked fish, it was well done and tasty. The meat main - our substitute fillet of beef was very good and served with mushroom purée, and a pearl barley risotto. There were two great burgundy cheeses served after the main which were Brillat-savarin and Époisses. There was a pre-dessert of pane cotta with raspberries and the meal ended with a mille-feuille of vanilla cream, with caramel ice cream. It was all absolutely delicious.

• Visited September 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Pleasant dining but some work needed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

The hotel and restaurant are centrally located although the Boulevard is a main route and traffic is noisy into early evening.
Was attracted by the Michelin star and agree with other reviews that it did not have the zing that one would expect from such a dining experience. The welcome was warm enough but the service was not as attentive as one would expect. I did have to self serve our wine! Interesting amuse bouche to go along with a good enough menu with local produce. I cant say that my palate was challenged in the way that I would expect in a M* restaurant. We actually enjoyed a number of dinners in Beaune during our stay and would not have ranked this above the other Michelin and non- Michelin starred restaurants that we visited.
I will watch other reviews with interest but I would not rush back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Like the hotel well worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the adjacent hotel of the same name and like the hotel it was a fantastic experience. Fine dining should take a long time and should be savoured and remembered. If you want a quick hit go to a Bistro and save your money. If you want a stunning innovative and creative delivery of some of the most unusual and tasty combinations try this restaurant. Having dined in over 40 Michelin Starred restaurants this was one of the more memorable.

Visited September 2013
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
“Wonderful meal in beautiful surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

My husband booked us into the hotel for 4 nights and booked the restaurant for my birthday - all as a surprise for me. The hotel certainly lived up to expectations and the restaurant was perfect. Thankfully he had not told them it was my birthday, or arranged a birthday cake to be delivered - not my thing! The restaurant is next to the hotel and set in beautiful gardens. In the summer they put lots of lights along the pathways and in the trees so that it all looks quite magical. Inside, there are several separate rooms - all of which were decorated and furnished in a traditional and very comfortable style. We chose from the a la carte menu and, to start, had the crab and the 64 degree egg - both beautifully presented and tasted as good as they looked. For the main course we chose Charolais beef fillet and the evening's special of Quail - both perfectly cooked and presented. I gave the cheese course a miss (no chance of cheese and dessert for me) but my husband very kindly let me help with his choices, and of course I did manage a little - great cheeseboard. Finally, for dessert we had the strawberry meringue carpaccio and green apple and blackcurrant tart - both wonderful. The portions are quite large for a Michelin starred restaurant and I couldn't quite manage to finish my dessert - but it definitely wasn't because it wasn't good! The sommelier was very helpful with our choice of wine - asking what we were eating, what sort of wine we would like and price range, and then giving a choice of three wines that he thought we would like - and we did. One final detail - this restaurant upholds the lovely tradition of giving the lady a menu without prices, meaning that I had no sense of guilt whatsoever choosing what I wanted from the menu. This seems to often be the case in French Michelin starred restaurant and long may it continue - even though I'm sure some people will be horrified at this "sexist insult" to women, I'm old enough to appreciate it without feeling offended. After all, if I was paying for the meal I would simply ask for a menu with prices - or quickly swap with my companion. In summary, a very good restaurant that fully deserves its Michelin star, in beautiful surroundings. If you want to know if it was good value, you'd have to ask my husband but he took the bill quite calmly and paid without any complaint.

• Visited August 2013