“L'Ardoise”

Subject: L'ardoise
Location: Beaune, Cote d'Or, Burgundy, France, Europe
Title: My worst meal in France - ever
ID#: 198641898

I work as a wine and food jounalist and have travelled to France many times over the last 20 years or so. Never have I experienced such bad food and service as I did at this place. There were so many things wrong I don't know where to start but I will try. We made it through our first course without a drop of water or wine on the table, both of which were ordered well before the course came. The place was empty (and the only one that was as this was during the crazy busy Grand Jours de Bourgogne wine event in March 2014). They only have about 10 items on the menu - which is fine - but we had a person with a nut allergy in our group and the only thing she could order was the hamburger. It came with a green salad with no dressing as apparently the only oil they had in the kitchen was peanut oil. On top of that the lettuce was brown and limp. The burger was comical. It was the size of a small dinner plate, about 1/4 inch thick garnished with several Kraft slices on the world's largest bun. Really gross. The rest of the food was borderline inedible as well. We tried to drown our sorrows by ordering more wine but that never came either. Finally we just got up, paid the bill and bolted. This place is an embarassment to French food.

• Visited March 2014
5 Thank Geoff L

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Exquisite surprise”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I was in Beaune for work in October for 4 nights, on the first 3 of which I ate indifferent and expensive meals in forgettable restaurants. On my last night I stumbled across L'Ardoise while looking for a different restaurant (which was closed) and in desperation decided to eat there. This was only their 3rd night in business and I must say provided me with a simply spectacular meal! Innovative flavours, textures and presentations but without being overly complex. The price was average for Beaune, and I would have paid twice the money for food which it was such a please to eat.

Our waitress couldn't have done more to make us feel welcome, and was even honest enough at the end of the meal to volunteer that she had made a minor error when describing the wine. Being able to see the chefs working is an added bonus.

I cannot recommend this restaurant more highly, especially when compared with the majority of places to eat in Beaune which (in my experience) are over-priced, serve sub-standard 'traditional' dishes and rely on the endless stream of tourists whom they don't need to tempt back a second time. That seems a bit harsh, I'm sure there are other restaurants in L'Ardoise's league, but I didn't find any.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank lucyvfoley
Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“For all food lovers”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

An excellent table, service was excellent. Always nice to sneak a look at the Chef!
We had a burger (super tasty, with homemade fries), a risotto with scallops and a tartare de bœuf... all was fantastic, very tasty. For dessert, we had the eclair au nutella which is a complete delight… even if we weren’t that hungry anymore, it was well worth the try!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Claudia C
Cape Cod
“Lovely Restaurant- Wonderful Dinner”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We really enjoyed this restaurant. The restaurant itself has a nice, relaxed atmosphere and pleasant décor. Service was excellent. There is a choice of wine by the glass so we could try more than one (both very good). We both had risotto with scallops and it was fantastic. Very tasty dessert and cheese plate. Highly recommended

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank ljcapecod
London/Surrey
“Excellent classy restaurant in beautiful Beaune”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We loved this restaurant. having had a big lunch we just wanted a light dinner and we got a high quality treat out of the ordinary, freshly prepared using local ingredients, very good wine and excellent service. Couldn't be better!

• Visited November 2013