“The cheese is worth it alone...”

Mercure Centre Clemenceau Restaurant
Ranked #178 of 582 Restaurants in Dijon
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Stockbridge, United Kingdom
“The cheese is worth it alone...”
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We were staying at the nearby Ibis for a Sunday night in July and knowing that not many restaurants are open on a Sunday I had researched one that was and discovered the Chateau Bourgogne. we had one of the set menus of a starter (entree) main dish and then cheese and dessert. Nothing unusual here I hear you cry... Well think again. After an amuse bouche of gazpacho we both had a rabbit terrine, which was delicious with just the right flavour of tarragon setting it off. Our mains were delicious too - chicken and fish. But it is the final two courses that that make this restaurant worth the visit the cheese and dessert. The cheese board would be better described as a cheese wagon wheel, a giant platter stretching more than a metre across and featuring a wide variety of locally produced cheeses. The waiting staff make recommendation and then you choose what you want to try - SCRUMPTIOUS.
And after cheese the expert waiting staff wheel on the dessert trolley and what a trolley it is! From macaroons to delicate white chocolate meringues the trolley has something for everyone even fresh fruit salad, all prepared by the restaurant's pastry chef. You can have as much as you like and we both tucked into plates of heaven, the only problem is we could haveveaten seconds.

Don't let the fact that it's in a chain hotel put you off this restaurant is fab.

Melbourne, Australia
“Surprisingly excellent dining experience.”
Reviewed 27 September 2011

You can surely imagine my sentiments when my mother suggested we eat at the hotel. Images of excremental sloshings of beef burgundy and pastries leftover from breakfast attempting to be passed off as dessert darted through my mind as I prepared myself for what I was unaware would be one of the best meals of my time in Europe. The fact that it's the Mercure can seem superficially offputting but you'll immediately forget once you start chowing down on delectable meals such as scallops with raisin jus (a combination which struck me as dubious but proved otherwise) as well as smoked salmon pasta. Those who are used to smoked salmon having a somewhat rubbery consistency will no doubt be amazed by the perfectly smoked salmon at this restaurant, which manages to maintain the integrity of the fish as opposed to transforming it into fishy ham leather.

The dessert trolley is sure to trigger within anyone a deep existential crisis. A four-tiered weapon of mass destruction, you can order as much as you possibly want from it. Looking back on my dining experience, it was both the reason for my existence as well as my undoing, as I launched into choosing a slice of three-layered caramel cake with creme anglaise (just for the record, three is by no means a crowd) and a creme-caramel-esque pudding. Completely magical, although there's a fair chance I embarrassed myself with my own zeal.

Moral of the story is follows: Although in your home country, Mercure restaurant may exude some level of shabbiness and mediocrity, such a description is as nonexistent as calorie control in a place like this. However, don't expect this same level of opulence at breakfast time. Dinner is where it's at.

• Visited January 2011
1 Thank laireschode
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't dismiss this restaurant because it's in the Hotel Mercure!”
Reviewed 23 July 2011

It was raining and we needed to eat somewhere. Generally I avoid hotel chain restuarants but I was pleasantly surprised. The food is good and presented well. The staff friendly.