We were looking forward to a stay in this 3* Michelin establishment as a stopover to our skiing holiday with our ten year old daughter. The hotel is lovely with a garden oasis centrally within the middle of the hotel complex. The garden is well tended and designed in an English garden style.
Our room, a suite, was the best we have found anywhere. The toiletries were of a high standard. The staff were polite and helpful.
We had dinner in the restaurant and opted for the BERNARD LOISEAU’S CLASSICS set menu on the basis that we wanted to experience the style of cuisine that made the restaurant famous and won the coveted Michelin 3* status from startup where the restaurant suffered demotion by Michelin and had no stars after the restaurant was purchased from its previous owner Francois Minot by Claude Verger as the famous Cote d"Or.
Maybe we were expecting too much. Having eaten in a number of Michelin 3* restaurants we looked forward to a surprise. We got a surprise. Sadly the style of cuisine is now rather passé and rich in flavour and texture, lacking lightness, subtlety and flair. Some of the frogs legs in the starter were chewy and undercooked. The Poulet de Bresse breast was pink and undercooked, a crime for any restaurant, so I had to leave most of the breast uneaten.
The wine list was good, and there were plenty of wines by the glass. Service was attentive and not intrusive.
Breakfast was excellent with wonderful freshly baked bread. Sadly the breakfast room is small so many people had to wait some time to be seated, when a table became vacant.
As we drove away we reflected on our stay. The accommodation was excellent, the garden was relaxing. The Town of Saulieu was interesting. The service was good. We discussed the food. The Classic Menu represented haut cuisine of its time, but the world and taste have moved on. The undercooking of the Bresse chicken was unforgiveable. Next time, if we stay again, we will try Patrick Bertron's cuisine.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel belongs to the prestigious Relais & Châteaux network of independent hotels and offers luxurious accommodation in delightful surroundings.Relais Bernard Loiseau features 32 spacious and luxurious rooms and suites, a library room with a chimney for quiet and peaceful evenings in the wintertime, a billiard room with French billiard, an outdoor swimming pool and a spa in order to make your stay as relaxing as possible.Enjoy the hotel’s privileged location to discover a region with a tremendous cultural and culinary heritage. In June 2017, the current seminar rooms will be complemented by the seminar space "LA VILLA LOISEAU DES SENS" (the new 1,500m² wellness complex on 3 levels that will host a range of water activities) that can accommodate up to 80 persons. "The Villa Loiseau des Sens" will also welcome a new restaurant to meet all budgets. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Le Relais Bernard Loiseau reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Relais Bernard Loiseau Hotel Saulieu
- Le Relais Bernard Loiseau Saulieu