“Charming hotel”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Saulieu
London, United Kingdom
“Charming hotel”
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel on our way to Champagne. The hotel is charming and has a lot of character. The room was big and the food good.The staff was also very friendly.
On the negative side, the room can be noisy if situated on the main road and there's no pool towel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My wife and I just came back from this Burgundian jewel today and I promised myself that the first chance I had, I would take 5 minutes and write about our wonderful and very romantic stay at the Hostellerie de la tour d'Auxois. We stayed there two days and drove about 2 1/2 hours from my parents house in the suburbs of Paris.
We showed up on Monday "pantecote" day. It's a religious holiday and most business's were closed or in the case of this hotel, running on minimum services. I had been told previously that the restaurant inside the hotel would be closed so it didn't come as a surprised to us. The man behind the front desk was very courteous and proceeded to tell us about the hotel(I found out later that he is the owner and obviously takes pride in taking care of people), the rooms and most important to us at that very moment, the way to access the great swimming pool they had in the back of this wonderful courtyard surrounded by trees and perfectly manicured flower beds and a spectacular view of the tower of Auxois and the decisively Burgundian back side of the hotel. The room was quaint and comfortable and decorated in a very tasteful old world manner inspired by the local Burgundian style. We woke up to the chants of doves and many other birds chirping as you should in any true countryside of the wonderful country that is France. Our breakfast was simple and just right. Jambon de Paris(ham), Gruyere cheese, country bread and butter(from Bretagne, my favorite) croissants of course! Fresh squeezed orange juice, coffee, cereal and more for those that need anything else but these French classics. The next night night we had dinner at the restaurant and found that the excellence we had encountered so far was to be met once again for dinner. The food was exquisite and the service impeccable. My favorite part though was the wine list. Being in Burgundy, I was expecting to see some great local wine at a great price. I wasn't disappointed, the list represented the region to a T. With great village appellations that would pleased anybody on a budget to 1er Cru and Millesimé wines that belong to a collectors cellar. To make a long story short, this was a great experience and I am pretty sure that these people know what they are doing because they enjoy it and that is what it is all about. I will be back...

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Jpphoto64
Besancon, France
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My husband & I stayed in this hotel 23-24 August 2013. We got to know this hotel by a website who features discounted gift certificates for products, hotels etc.
The hotel is located in the heart of the village, by the market which you can visit on Saturday morning. Despite the location in the center of the village, they promise quiet environment.
I love almost anything about medieval style (haven't found anything that I didn't like about it). This hotel has their room in a medieval style, seems as you sleep in a castle! They also put a "fur" like bed cover which is very warm too.
From our room we can easily took the outside spiral iron stairs to the outdoor swimming pool. This pool is surrounded by a small internal garden which give an easy quite outdoor pool. From the pool you can enter to the restaurant which is just a few steps away from the garden.
If by any chance you want to explore the possibilities to eat elsewhere, no worries because the hotel surrounded by good restaurants at different price range to choose.
We had dinner once in the hotel (my husband loved what he ordered).
Entrée isTerrine Maison & Salade Fraicheur.
Main course is Tartare de Charolais, Pommes Rissolées & Salade.
Finished with Fromage (Croustillant d’Epoisses et Compotée de Figues) and Dessert is Carpaccio d'ananas & glace a la vanille.
While my dinner was:
Entrée: Tartare de Thon Albacore au Pesto et Roquette
Plat principal: Pavé de Turbot Rôti, Epinards et Ratatouille Croquante
Fromage: Faisselle de Fromage Blanc au miel du Morvan ou Coulis de Fruits
We paid for each €38.
I must be honest that I was not completely overwhelmed by the menu. I considered them to be very well prepared but it was not satisfactory to my taste.
If wine is one of your pleasure, you should try their wine! I put a picture of the one we tasted.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Barr
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We had just spent two nights at some considerable expense elsewhere and had booked this quaint oldie place in quiet Saulieu on our way back to Alsace. A magnificent building, very pleasantly furnished public areas and a clean room with impressive old floor tiles. The best surprise however, awaited us at dinner: Some lovely 'home cooking' at a value for money price. The staff was helpful and correct.
We had private parking which was an attraction as we had the car ful of stuff and didn't want to empty it for one night; it is small, so get there early!
Clearly a place to stop. Next time our journey takes us this way, we certainly will.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This is a lovely building and the public areas are very nice, especially the lounge. The restaurant is very popular and the food is good. There is a small pool. The rooms at the front of the hotel are a bit noisy. Not sure the breakfast is worth the money.
However, we enjoyed our visit. The reception was fine and we liked the room well enough.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel overlooking the pool area
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Lot et Garonne
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We spent three nights in this hotel which is a lovely old building, furnished in the French shabby chique style. We found all the staff delightful and efficient. We had booked a suite which was on the top floor. It consisted of a salon downstairs with the bed on the mezzanine. I suggest that this would not be suitable for someone not used to stairs. The quality of the furnishing was very good. However, the weekend we were there was very hot and because the room is under the roof, it trapped the heat. There was airconditioning and a large fan but it couldn't cope with the two levels of the room. I think that I would be tempted to try a cheaper room on the second floor where perhaps the aircon can circulate better. Although the aircon was extremely noisy. Another negative was the shower. There was no curtain or screen, so the toilet and area next to the bath got soaked unless you were very careful. The walls were also quite thin, so you could hear voices from the people in the next room. The food was good and we had some very nice meals in the restaurant. The pool and garden area are pleasant. Overall, it was a good stay. I cannot blame the hotel for the hot weather.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laraine B
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Beautiful building lovely grounds great pool area
Very unfriendly receptionist not allowed to check in before 4pm no pool towels
Air con in room didn't work lots of road noise
Restuarant and food for dinner great delicious desserts

Breakfast overpriced ate in bar round the corner instead

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saulieu
Le Relais Bernard Loiseau
#1 of 1 in Saint-Agnan
Chateau Sainte Sabine
Chateau Sainte Sabine
#1 of 1 in Sainte-Sabine

Been to Hostellerie de la Tour d'Auxois? Share your experiences!