“Merits the excellent reviews”

Hotel Au Charme Rabelaisien
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Amboise
UK
“Merits the excellent reviews”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We were in a building separate to the main house so it was really quiet. The room was finished to a very high standard, great little touches. Madam Sylvia was a delight. Breakfast was excellent, great bread, ham cheese etc. Joy. This place may be at the top of your budget but I would recommend that you spoil yourself. Highly recommend the location. There is ample parking on site and it is secure.

Room Tip: If you like quiet ask for the rooms at the back of the pool.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ray1951

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
MN, USA
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I was somewhat skeptical about only "Excellent" (august 2013) reviews. After staying there for two days, I highly recommend the place to anybody planning to stay in Amboise. Read the previous reviews, they adequately describe the property.
I stayed in "cozy single" room on the second floor. My only problem was figuring how to use the jet shower :) The breakfast was good, the service was excellent, the garden was welcoming, the pool was warm. The place had less than ten guests.
The host (Madam Sylvia) provided me great advice about local sightseeing. I would gladly return to Au Charme Rabelaisien.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DeeplyFrozen
Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Arriving at Au Charme we were greet very warmly by Madam Sylvia, boy she's a trip!
We felt like we were visiting relatives or something.
We booked the Prestige Room which is actually part of the Sylvia's 250 year old home.
What a delight, so tastefully decorated it had my wife taking more photos inside than out in the Loire!
The home is located very centrally in Amboise and Sylvia gave us the heads up on what's good to see in the Loire Valley.
Sylvia has a talent for attention for detail and this B&B reflected that.(except one little issue).

Breakfast is at 8.30am which is a bit late for us but we fitted into the timetable during the 5 night booking. Breakfast was well prepared even with some home cooked items from Sylvia's kitchen but nothing too excessive.
Wifi was generous and worked ok with multiple devices.
The pool is a little small but I guess this is France.
The bathroom is large and well appointed but this brings me to my criticism and that is the privacy/security.
The bathroom window (the only window in the room) opens out to the street, yes right onto the footpath! I mean shake hands while you brush your teeth with pedestrians.
Therefore we hardly had the window open at all which meant our room became stuffy in the warm Loire weather. We also couldn't open the doors onto the backyard (which are very difficult to lock)because other guests are merandering around all the time and can see right in your bedroom.
Other than that nice it's a place by a hard working host.

Room Tip: The Prestige Room may not be a good choice.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paulybabe
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed here in july in a brand new furnished room, with the coolest shower who have ever steen with black light. Very luxurious setup, you share the Huge garden and a swimming pool with only three other rooms so its very intimate. You can crawl to the city center of amboise there is even a great restaurant l' alliance next to it. Chateaux chinonceau(go late in the afternoon) is within a half an hour drive, perfect spot in the loire. The hostess, here husband and Jack russel are really friendly and helpfull, so I would not hesitate to book this if you get the opportunity.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ted_and_Chantal
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Our stay in Amboise was made all the more enjoyable since we were staying with Mme Sylvie. She is the perfect hostess and will go out of her way to be helpful for yor stay. The rooms are beautifully furnished and the garden and pool a delight. It is totally quiet-you will only hear birdsong.very central for everything in Amboise and beyond. Highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liz Z
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Staying at this bed and breakfast was the best experience of my two week trip. I stayed for three nights in the "cosy" room, which is a great size for a single traveler. Mme Sylvie went above and beyond to make me feel comfortable, and I was well taken care of. She offered advice and directions, made reservations, and helped me figure out my tour itinerary by calling the company.

Her breakfasts were wonderful...it was a great treat to walk out of my room in the morning to the scent of fresh baked bread. She adjusted her schedule so I could still have breakfast on my early morning. This was appreciated and service above and beyond what I expected.

I absolutely recommend a stay here if you're planning a trip to the Loire Valley.

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank adhtravels
Salida
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Sylvie... We miss you and can't wait to return. If we visited Amboise 100 times we would have to stay with you each time. Our rooms were perfection. Beautiful, comfortable, perfectly functioning. The breakfast was to die for, it was great to have soft boiled eggs. Your warm smile and gracious demeanor were the perfect start and finish to each day. We felt welcome in your lovely home. We can not think of anything you have not already considered. A wonderful two night stay and a perfect break for our bicycle trip. Merci!

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple