I stayed here in late September with my husband & 2 children. Amboise is a lovely little town, and Villa Roma is right in the middle of town, opposite the Chateau Royal, and the Clos Luce (where Leonardo Da Vinci spent the last few years of his life - worth a visit) is just a 5-10 minute walk up the road. This is a great place to base yourself for a visit to the Loire Valley.
The hotel is just 2 rooms above an Italian restaurant (Via Roma). The room at the front has views of the Chateau Royal, the family room we had was at the back with no view, but it was a really nice room. It's a very old building, lots of character and done up very nicely. The staff were all really friendly and helpful.
We had dinner at Via Roma, which was really good, and a simple breakfast (croissants, bread, juice & coffee/tea) was included in the room rate. There are lots of other restaurants and bars/cafes nearby.
A few things to be aware of:
- I booked via Booking.com and on the listing, it said that the family room had a kitchenette, but all it had was a sink and microwave - no fridge, plates, glasses etc.
- It wasn't clear when I made the booking that they are only open during the opening hours of their restaurant. It wasn't a big deal for us as we arrived at 5.40pm and the restaurant opened at 6pm, so we just had a drink at one of the bars nearby. Once you have checked in, you can come and go at any time via the back entrance (there's a numeric code for the lock).
- Their street address (rue Newton) is the little lane at the back, which you can't drive down, and you cannot get into this entrance until you have checked in and have the code for the back entrance. The restaurant is actually on Rue Victor Hugo, which is a one-way street that goes past the front of the castle. There is parking on this street (free overnight from 6pm to 9am, max 2hrs after 9am).
- no WiFi
All of the above were minor issues for us, we would definitely stay there again if we ever go back to that area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bed and breakfast, located opposite the castle of Amboise. 3 rooms renovated cozy full direct access to downtown restaurants - pizzeria owners ideal location for visiting the chateaux of the Loire ... more less