“Great location overlooking the Loire”
Review of Bellevue

Bellevue
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Amboise
Reviewed 4 June 2013

The location of this hotel couldn't be better for a stop off in Amboise. Our room (7) overlooked the Loire and was minutes from the square where all the restaurants are. The room was contemporary and newly refurbished with an outside decking patio - just a shame we arrived too late to enjoy it. The public areas especially the corridors and stairways looked very dark and dated with maroon carpets and dark wood but don't let that put you off. Room was €110 plus €9/person for a good quality continental breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Situated right by the main bridge in Amboise, traffic noise is an issue if like me you are put in the room overlooking it. I should have asked to be moved, but after a day cycling I just crashed. The room was clean & had everything you would expect, I was surprised the hotel didn't have a restaurant. It's only a very short walk from the main restaurant street, so it's not a problem. Breakfast was mediocre, at best. The orange juice looked as old as the hills. Would I stay again, yes if I was desperate.

Room Tip: Not near main road.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Old Belle-Vue reviews made the hotel appear tired and worn BUT a good value. The price point was good so we choose the hotel. We were very surprised to enter a modernized, tastefully decorated lobby. Our renovated room was immaculate and painted in a soothing color. We asked for a room with a view of the Loire river. In the evening, the vista was beautiful. An orange setting sun provided a lovely photo op. The only complaint was the lack of a minifridge and the lingering smell of fresh paint.
The management is in the process of updating their website.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maui-ME2
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I think the hotel has just undergone a revamp when we stayed here recently. I was really impressed with our room. Everything is new. We were kindly upgraded to the family room sleeps four in two large rooms with two bathrooms. Great value and warm friendly staff. Excellent location a hop skip and jump to the castle and restuarants. Only one quibble...the heating needs to be turned up. The room was absolutely freezing and the heating was on max. I mentioned it to the staff and they said it gets turned up at night but we were also freezing through the night. I mentioned it again on check out so hopefully they will turn it up according to the weather conditions as it was extremely cold for March when we visited. Although the hotel doesn't have parking we had no problems getting a free spot on the street right outside. All in all a great little hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Kyliedbu
Reviewed 7 November 2012

At the Bellevue it's all about location. this hotel is located directly behind the Amboise chateau-couldn't be an easier walk to get into town. the hotel staff was very nice and helpful. Rooms are dated and could use a renovation. parking is easy on the street near the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank S A
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I stayed here in September while on a cycling trip through France, and the owner could not have been more friendly and helpful. He let me put my bike in a private, secure garage overnight and offered advice on my route for the following day. The hotel decor is a little dated but the rooms, bathrooms and common areas were absolutely spotless - I'm not sure I've ever stayed anywhere as clean. There was also a fantastic selection of food at breakfast the next day, including some of the best pastries and bread I ate during my time in France (and there was stiff competition). The hotel is centrally located, and it was easy to walk out in the evening to find somewhere to eat. Highly recommended - don't be put off by the dated facade as this is a real gem.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank TeamCervinia
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We enjoyed our stayed at this hotel. We stayed on the top floor of this small hotel. The small elevator was a welcome sight! Our room was a good size with a recently renovated bathroom. The wifi was very good. This hotel is in a great location for walking to all the sights. We did not try the breakfast. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amboise
Hotel Louise de Savoie
Hotel le Clos d'Amboise
Hotel le Clos d'Amboise
#4 of 25 in Amboise
Best Western Le Vinci Loire Valley

Been to Bellevue? Share your experiences!