“Unexpected surprise!”
Review of Le Vieux Manoir

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amboise
Le Vieux Manoir
Ranked #1 of 31 Amboise B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We ended up at Le Vieux Manoir by mistake, thinking another B & B had been booked. Things happen for a reason! We knew the moment that Gloria and Bob greeted us with a glass of wine, and sat down and talked with us that we were at the right place. This experience turned out to be the highlight of our entire 22 day trip. Gloria and Bob are perfect hosts, and delighted us with their stories and made our time there so special with all of their recommendations...all of which we took, and turned out to be great experiences. Gloria should write a travel guide! Oh my, the food...from the amazing breakfasts in the beautiful garden room (the fresh bread was so delicious, that I still crave it), to the memorable lunches and dinners which Gloria made reservations for. The Manoir has truly been a labor of love, and was a home away from home, as we were made to feel so welcome. The location was very quiet and peaceful, but just a few blocks from the Chateau, shopping and restaurants. The rooms were so comfortable, and nicely decorated, all with different themes. We look forward to returning to Amboise, and will definately be staying at Le Vieux Manor, but this time it will be intentional.

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong with any room...but would definately recommend the rooms that all...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 October 2013

We spent four nights here in October and had a great time. We stayed in the main house on the top floor. Nice views, comfortable bed and plenty of room. As others have said, Gloria and Bob were great hosts in every way - the food was great in the morning, suggestions and help with trips and dining, and stories. The manor house is a beautiful spot in the middle of a small town - fountain,gardens. It is great to come back after a day out, park the car and go walk in town or open a bottle of wine.. There are some nice shops and restaurants - we'd go sit at a brasserie near the chateau and people watch. Gloria's dinner suggestions were great.

If you are there on a Sunday, go to the market - it is a great experience. If you go to wineries, most are small and you need to be prepared you may be going into someones house - they are not like Napa. There are some larger ones as well - we went to a couple near Chinon. There is a nice chateau in Amboise where Da Vinci is buried and the house where he lived for the last three years of his life is in town too.

Other places we visited were Villandry - great gardens, nice chateau; Chenonceau - chateau over a river, gardens. The chateaux at Chinon and Amboise are also very nice but much has deteriorated. That's not a complaint just a difference - you could almost see someone living in Villandry and Chenonceaux today, the others are more about history.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My husband and I spent the nights of October 3-4, 2013 in the De Portail "gatehouse". My expectations were exceeded! The property is so very lovely that the online photos can't possibly do it justice. The little house was beautiful and very comfortable complete with a well equipped kitchen. A bottle of wine was waiting for us in the fridge and Bob brought us delicious croissants for breakfast complete with butter, jam, juice and fromage. Gloria is very helpful in suggesting which chateaus to visit and is happy to recommend great restaurants and make reservations for you. Bob and Gloria are perfect hosts! I would most definitely go back!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at Le Vieux Manior for 7 nights in September 2013. It is such a lovely property. We found the experience so enriching and enjoyable. Gloria was a great host and we enjoyed getting to know her. We found that we had a lot in common since she and Bob used to live in the Bay Area. She made reservations for us at some great restaurants and advised us on places to go and chateaux to see. We had a great lunch at L'Etape Gourmande near Villandry. The breakfasts were fantastic! Sitting in the lovely breakfast room and looking out at the garden was a great way to start the day. She helped us rent a car which saved us money (Auto Europe was more than twice as much). It was our experience that Le Vieux Manior was one of the best B&B/hotel experiences we've had and we have traveled to Europe 9 times in the last 20 years. I would highly recommend it, as I have in the week we have been back. In reading some of the negative reviews, I think there are just some people who have trouble getting along with people. We loved it and loved Gloria and Bob.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

My wife and I choose to celebrate our 10th anniversary in Central France and discovered a true gem with Le Vieux Manoir. Gloria and Bob, you were the perfect hosts. Your B and B is wonderful, its location is perfect, and all your time, guidance and recommendations were what made out experience exceptional. Our memories of Amboise and the surrounding heart of France are so much more special because of you both. I wish we could return tomorrow...

Doug and Amy (from Maui, HI)

Room Tip: The Collette room was spacious, well appointed and tastefully done.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here for six nights in September. It was our good fortune to experience a B&B owned and operated by two of the most passionate hosts we've ever experienced.
Everything said in previous reviews about the property are absolutely true so I won't go on - only to say, it's meticulously art directed and perfectly located. The town of Amboise is a block away. The rooms, the property and the attention to detail are impressive.
The real experience, and it is an authentic experience, is to be found in the hosts of Le Vieux Manoir - Gloria and Bob. Before I expound, let me make a nod, or rather a 'curtsey' to them both. A previous reviewer said something like "we came as guests, we left as friends." Couldn't have put it better myself. These two people care deeply about what they do - when you arrive, plan on sitting in the parlour with Gloria and having a glass of wine. This was only one of several glasses of wine Gloria shared with us along with many conversations about our individual lives, Bob would often join us. Lovely.
And she's a walking, talking tourist board. Put yourself in her hands. She genuinely wants you to experience the Loire authentically.
By all means, go to the places you highlighted when you planned your trip, but seriously folks, listen to her recommendations. She sent us to destinations and restaurants that aren't in the guide books. And all I can say is "oh my god, thank you Gloria!" We'd never have found these places on our own. Most of the time, especially at the restaurants, we were the only English speaking guests on the premises. We had to pinch ourselves several times to make certain we weren't dreaming. Perfectly real. Perfectly perfect.
And Bob, well what can be said about Bob - he's beyond helpful and is a true gentleman. A man of service to others.
On behalf of these two crazy Canadians, thank you Gloria and Bob for giving us memories that will last a lifetime. And seriously, if you need someone to come and take care of the place while you go on vacation, well, you know where to find us.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are easier to manage if you have trouble with stairs. Or if you'd lik...
Reviewed 20 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here for just two nights...what a mistake...after just one night I wished we were staying the entire week. Gloria and Bob are excellent hosts. This B&B is exquisitely decorated with antique furnishings and beautiful artwork. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. The bathroom and bathing amenities are excellent, with organic cotton thick fluffy towels, and wonderful organic shampoos, soaps, and bubble bath. The breakfast atrium should be photographed for a Martha Stewart magazine...gorgeous serving ware, wonderful food and pastries. Also Bob makes excellent french pressed coffee - and large generous cups!!

Finally...Gloria is very helpful with what to see, and where to dine. Since our stay was short, she made her recommendations, we followed and we were delighted. We were not overly exhausted. She really takes the time to design an itinerary for your needs. Bob also helped us map out our trip to the south, patiently showing us how to get to our next destination. These two are a priceless addition to the B&B scene in the Loire Valley. Stay here!!