“Beautiful Room & Grounds”

Hotel le Clos d'Amboise
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Amboise
Grapevine, Texas
“Beautiful Room & Grounds”
Reviewed 26 May 2008

After being led directly to the hotel with our GPS navigation system (doubt that we would have found it easily otherwise), we managed to park in the parking lot. Be sure to find a way to back into the space -- it will make it so much easier to get out.
We stayed in Room #6 at the top of the stairs. It was a lovely room which looked out onto the gardens, and we were able to leave the windows open at night.
Our one dissatisfaction was the bathroom. it was a long, narrow bathroom and had plenty of room for a large shower to be built in at the end. Instead, however, a very narrow bathtub was used along the long wall. It was too short for my husband, and not easy to use the shower attachment in a too-small tub. The tub could also benefit from having a grab-bar installed.
We would definitely stay here again, but would request a room with a shower.

• Liked — The beautiful room and the view of the beautiful grounds from our room
  • Disliked — Too small/narrow bathtub
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Diego
Reviewed 21 May 2008

Visually this is a 5 star property. The manicured grounds are similar to the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Beach and you feel like you're staying at a castle. My mother and I had an adorable villa close to the lobby and it was clean and a little larger than what you'd expect in France.

That being said, the room we reserved was 105 euros/night and included breakfast. When we arrived, exhausted from the trip and navigating our way around Amboise to find this hotel, we were told it in fact breakfast was NOT included. We didn't feel like it was worth a battle so we let it go.....the breakfast room smelled a little like dirty feet so it was fine.

My 2nd issue was when I decided to go use the restroom at the gym one evening....it was 200 feet from our room and seemed logical as my mother was using ours. Less than a minute after I closed the restroom door, I hear the owner pounding on the door, yelling, asking what I doing in there?! It was really bizarre and unlike anything i'd ever experienced. I wasn't sure how to respond.... When I yelled back that "I was using the restroom"...he yelled that the gym area is to workout and that I need to use the facilities in my room.... I left feeling very offended and insulted.

Had I been here alone or without my mother I would have checked out of the hotel immediately or at least confronted the owner. You don't micromanage your guests, even if you do own the place. I felt confused by this behavior and would never return to the hotel.

Such a shame as the hotel itself is beautiful. My advise would be to ask for a room AWAY from the lobby and the eyes of the owners, as they really like to watch what you're doing. Oh and bring a copy of your reservation too if it includes breakfast....

• Liked — clean and beautiful property
  • Disliked — interaction with the owner
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank soberinsd
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed 15 March 2008

This hotel was quite difficult to find, especially while navigating the poorly labeled streets pulling one large suitcase! As difficult as it was to find, it was certainly worth it. This converted home with a lovely garden and pool, felt like we were staying in a friend’s house rather than a hotel. Each room is decorated in a different style and I would suggest requesting a room that overlooks that garden rather than the street in front. There is parking on site for very small cars and all the shopping and dining is within walking distance. This quaint hotel makes a great central location to tour the Chateau regions of the Loire valley. The staff is small but extremely helpful. We absolutely loved their dinner recommendations and suggestions for chateaus to tour. The personal touch was exceptional. The rooms are on the larger side by French standards and very clean and quiet.

Stayed June 2007
Denver, CO
Reviewed 3 January 2008

A friend and I elected to stay here for two nights in late October and were thrilled with the property. Our room was beautiful, clean and well-maintained. The breakfast was the best we had in France and included a selection of breads, coffee (and a pot of hot milk which was delicious), fruit, yogurt, meats, cheese, etc... The gardens are gorgeous, and the property was in a great location. As others have mentioned, the parking lot is a bit tight, but we managed our small manual car just fine in the lot. This property was a great value, and I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — The property was beautiful and a good value - breakfast was amazing.
  • Disliked — We liked everything here.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank Denverrun
West Des Moines, IA
Reviewed 18 December 2007

We stayed 3 nights at Le Clos d'Amboise in May. We had a double superior room for I believe 95 Euros a night, and when we saw the room, we absolutely couldn't believe we'd paid so little! It was incredibly huge, with a sitting area, spacious bathroom (but w/ shower only, no tub), tall-tall ceilings, and really pretty decor/bedding. We never heard any noise from the street or from other guests. Parking is a bit tight, to say the least, but the mere fact that they have parking is a huge plus. If the hotel lot is full, though, there is a public lot right down the street, perhaps a 3-minute walk, and we found that to be really helpful.

The staff were gracious and friendly, and the grounds were absolutely beautiful! The only quibble I had was a small one - we ate breakfast in the hotel dining room one morning and were charged for it (breakfast isn't included in the room rate, but they didn't make that clear at check-in; they just told us where/when it was served), so be careful if you don't want to pay 10 Euros each for a breakfast that's really heavy on bread/pastries and no hot dishes.

I'd absolutely recommend this hotel for anyone travelling to Amboise. We saw other, much more expensive, hotels while we were walking and driving around and were so glad that we'd paid less for an equally beautiful place. Finally, the location is just fine; we had no problem walking to a more-central part of Amboise to eat or shop, though I suppose parts of the town might be a bit of a hike. It definitely isn't on the highway out of town as I'd thought it would be when I was browsing on their website. In short, it's lovely and I'd gladly to stay there again.

Stayed May 2007
4 Thank Tara3056
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 14 November 2007

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights in the spring. We had a very beautiful large room in the annex overlooking the very nice garden. Bathroom was modern and clean. We cannot comment on rooms in the main hotel as we did not see any of them. Breakfast (extra charge) contained a good selection of fruits, meats, hard boiled eggs and cheese. Hotel is within walking distance of all Amboise attractions and restaurants. Recommendations for dinner were good. Off street parking is provided. Spaces are tight but managable as long as you don't rent a large truck or van. Amboise is a good base location to explore the Loire valley and has a great street market next to the river on Sunday. This hotel is a little more expensive than some but worth it especially if you are staying a few nights.

• Liked — Tranquility
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Woodhenge
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 November 2007

We stayed here in October 2007 for 3 nights. The four of us stayed at 2 of the cheapest rooms at this hotel - "Comfort double" for €75 a night. They are on the 2nd floor (US 3rd floor) and has slanting ceiling. Despite the small size of the rooms, they are comfortable. Our rooms face the beautiful courtyard/garden and are very quiet. Bathroom is relatively spacious with modern fixtures.

Location of the hotel is great, just a few minutes walk to the Chateau and center of town.

Ammenities include minibar, TV (1 English channel - CNN), hairdryer. There is no in-room safe. No elevator, no A/C.

Breakfast buffet has a good selection - croissants, breads, cold cuts, hard and soft cheeses, jams, cereals, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, coffee/tea, juices.

The only complaint we have is the parking lot (inside the hotel grounds). It is quite small - and can be difficult to maneuver if your car is big and the lot is full.

• Liked — Lovely Ambience
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family