“Peaceful spot at the edge of Amboise with a real country feel and wonderful charm”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amboise
Manoir de la Maison Blanche
Ranked #4 of 31 Amboise B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 May 2011

I spent two weeks in France with my parents and brother. The last part of our trip was spent in the Loire Valley with two nights at the Manoir de la Maison Blanche at the edge of Amboise. It was a great place to relax and breathe at the end of our tour. It is a lovely converted farmhouse with great ambience – exactly what we hoped to find based on the descriptions we had read.

The large property is lovely and peaceful – the only sound at night is the chirping tree frogs. The courtyard has numerous chaises and chairs set out for guests to enjoy the great surroundings.

We appreciated the kitchen facility (fridge, kettle, microwave, dishes & cutlery) that is available to guests. By that point in our trip, we were a bit tired of eating at restaurants so instead we bought groceries one night and take out pizza the next so that we could spend more time on the property. With access to the fridge (and ice) we could sit in the garden with chilled drinks and watch the sun go down.

I also liked the lay out of the B&B, which is more like a mini-motel. The rooms are in converted outbuildings so there was no sense that I was tiptoeing through someone’s house, which is why I am sometimes reluctant to stay in B&Bs. It also means that almost every room has direct access to the courtyard area. After a series of hotel rooms, I enjoyed the easy access to outside.

My brother and I had a large room on the ground floor with a full table and chairs (we reserved this one because it had two beds – one queen and one good-sized twin). The room was great - full bathroom (but no tub) with a separate WC. The room was large enough to include a large round dining table with four chairs. My parents were in a recently converted room on the “first” (in NA 2nd) floor, with a small, shared sitting room, also lovely.

My only caution would be that if you have any serious mobility issues, go with a ground floor room as the varying stairs to upstairs rooms could be a challenge.

Annick the hostess is charming and very friendly. Breakfast was the typical continental breakfast with lovely breads, homemade jam and plenty of coffee (very important to my start in the morning).

The Manoir was a hit for all four of us. Our only regret was that we couldn’t stay another night.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 May 2011

My husband & I stayed for 4 nights July '10. We had a truly lovely time at this beautiful b&b, though to simply call it that doesn't do it justice. Our hostess was friendly, welcoming & helpful. The room was v comfortable & the guests kitchen area was a marvellous bonus. The breakfasts were fresh & tasty. We chatted into the night with people from around the globe in the delightful
courtyard, being serenaded by a choir of 'singing' frogs. Annick, we can't wait to get back there - see you in July. The Davies's.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 17 May 2011

The farmhouse and garden are lovely!! We stayed in the room up the spiral staircase and it was huge. The owner is extremely helpful and the location is peaceful. It was one of our favorite stays in our three week trip to Europe.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We have stayed at the Manoir quite a few times now and as always found the excellent Annick as friendly and helpful as ever. We had a very comfortable, clean room with a nice roomy shower, always an essential. Plenty of cupboard space to hang clothes and after travelling for several hours the comfortable bed was bliss!

As always, a very good breakfast, delicious breads and croissants, lots of butter, cheeses, yoghurts, jams (home made), cereal, fruit .... really good.

The Manoir is in a very peaceful setting within a small park yet only about 10-15 minutes walk from Amboise centre with its Chateau, the Loire, Leonardo Di Vinci's home, which is very interesting, and of course the lovely architecture and shops!

All in all, a great place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2011

I stayed at this bed and breakfast with my family on our Loire Valley tour. I must say, this is one of the best bed and breakfast I stayed in in a long time. If you are looking for an in between place between a chateau and a B&B, then this is the place. Starting our tour at Amboise was also ideal. We were able to visit 4 different castles over a 2 whole days period with just a little driving on each day.

The place is like a 17th century farm ranch with two separate buildings of rooms that sit inside garden and greenery.

The hostess was kind, warm. The room was decorated in french country style (ask for the Blue room - private bath with 2 beds). The bathroom was huge and very relaxing.I would definitely come again.

The best part is definitely the horses and the dogs that greeted us in the morning.

For breakfast, the hostess served homemade jam (so delicious - made me want to make a batch of my own) with a mixture of different breads. After chatting with her each morning, you get the feeling that she's extremely passionate about making the place one of the best in the area for travelers.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 16 April 2011

My husband, my grand-daughter and I stayed at the Manoir de la Maison blanche from 10th till 14th April 2011 and we really enjoyed the place very much. It is ideally located, near most of the magnificent castles along the Loire valley. We therefore don't understand at all the previous negative comments.
In fact everything in this typical French manoir has been planned and designed for the comfort and pleasure of the residents:
- the surroundings first: a well-kept park with flowers along the paths, a real nest in nature only 3 minutes away from the centre of Amboise,
- the completely refurbished rooms designed to be comfortable and convenient, with authentic materials (tiles, oak) and warm colours on the walls, with cosy shower rooms and separate toilets,
- the refined and typical pieces of French antique furniture and comfortable beds,
- the delicious breakfast with French croissants and typical kinds of delicious bread from the region, all this with different sorts of home made jams (a real delight),
- and last but not least the kindness of the lady, owner of this real treasure.

This is THE address not to miss and to recommend to friends!
And for sure, we'll go back!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Tired B&B with fussy antiquey bits, bed hard, thin mattress, few blankets,1 pillow in claustrophobic attic room with homepainted wall murals of animals and glaring lamps without proper shades. In the loo - dried flowers, pink paper but no soap. Breakfast a slightly mean affair of 1 slice supermarket brioche plus thin rounds of poor bread, peculiar jam, tiny foil wrapped butters, ultra strong tepid coffee, processed cheese and 'dairylea' triangles, side table of tired fruit and battered looking cereals not offered.
Upside is a very, very friendly, talkative hostess and outlook onto a pleasant garden.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mariettanina
AmboiseAure, Owner at Manoir de la Maison Blanche, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2011

i was shocked to read your review of my establishment. You are the only client out of 75+ reviews who has put a 'poor' rating for my establishment, when in fact the vast majority have rated it 'excellent' or 'very good'! I want all my clients to enjoy the region and enjoy their stay in my home, and I do everything i can to make their stay as comfortable as possible.
How can you say that you slept in a "claustrophobic attic room" when in fact it's a 45 m2 room with a 6-meter high cathedral ceiling?
I would have been happy to suggest another place to you if the interior decorating did not suit your taste - all you had to do was tell me.
All the rooms and common rooms are thoroughly cleaned EVERY day, i have had customers remark that they can walk barefoot throughout the house without their feet getting dirty...so i'm amazed that you have rated the cleanliness 'below average'!
My local village bread baker was also shocked by the remark about 'supermarket brioche'!! My jams are all homemade with fruit from my own garden, breakfast includes cereal and fruit in bowls from which all customers help themselves.
I always appreciate remarks and suggestions on improving the service i can offer to my customers - what i found most bizarre was that no remark whatsoever was made about my services during your one-night stay, and you did not bother to say goodbye when you left.
Despite this single 'poor' rating in my reviews, I hope that my future customers will not hesitate to stay at my home, as the majority of my customers are delighted with the quality of my B&B.