“Good honest value”

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Azay-le-Rideau
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
“Good honest value”
Reviewed 16 September 2012

This hotel has recently changed hands and, judging from previous reviews, I would say that the new owner is making a positive difference.
The hotel is close to the main roads and easily accessible from them, but is also very close in to the village of Azay Le Rideau. It means you can park your car there and go and explore locally on foot to find either the local chateau or any number of bars and restaurants some of which are very good indeed.
The room we had clean and well presented but was quite high up in the building although it had good views across the town and countryside.
The staff were really helpful - there is no on-site restaurant but as we were celebrating a special birthday they went through all the local options and booked us in to a very good gourmet restaurant 'L'Aigle D'Or'. The manager even bought us a drunk at the bar!
I would say that this is an ideal no frills hotel to stay at either for one night, or for several nights as you explore this beautiful area of France.

Room Tip: There is no lift in this hotel and so if you find stairs difficult try to book rooms on the lower fl...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank dogcollar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Evesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night having booked well in advance on line. On arrival the manager could not find our booking but when I produced the printed off confirmation he found it and blamed an absent receptionist. We had booked a large room on the ground floor (my wife doesn't cope well with stairs) but we were informed that this was not available and were moved to a small room on the 1st floor. It was clean and the beds were comfortable but there was less than a meter all round between the wall and the edge of the beds when they were pushed together. The bathroom was a good size and there was a separate toilet. The decor of the room and the bathroom are looking a bit tired and need renovation. Given the reasonable rate the room was I suppose OK.
Breakfast was good if a bit expensive. The paper napkins available were probably the worst I have ever encountered, like one piece of cheap tissue.
we picked this hotel because we wanted to stay in Azay le Rideau which is a lovely little town and wanted a hotel in the centre with car parking. This part worked really well with us parking on the front of the hotel without charge. Private (charged) parking is also available.
When I came to check out the manager tried to charge me for the large room which we had not had. When I said I would only pay for the small room we had been given he commented that because we had booked through an online booking agency he would have to pay them the commission on the price of the larger room. when I made it very clear that I would not pay the higher price he did charge me for the smaller room at the lower price. Only a matter of 10 euros I know but it was the principle of the thing for me.
The hotel has been under new ownership since June this year. They have a lot of work to do to make this the hotel it should be.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front can be noisy, some rooms are small.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank BeemerBikerAbroad
Taplow Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Striking Distance form Tours but in my opinion a much nice place to stay. Azay-le-Rideau is delightful village which at least when I was there seemsed to ipitomise everything I hold Dear about non Parisenne France. Great food friendly people with a fantastic community atmosphere. During our trip there was a concert in the town square/car park. Unlike many French towns the centre of town was not on a main road and really had a great feeling.

As for the hotel, I will admit to being a bit of a fan of Best Western although I don't stay there that often because they are a bit formulae and I prefer a slightly more unique experience We were traveling north near to Tours and found the city Best Western fully booked as were most decent Hotels. I had this problem on my way down due to the Motor Racing at Le Mans. MAKE SURE YOU BOOK IF YOU INTEND TO TRAVEL DURING LE MANS. The Tours Hotel recommended Azay-le-Rideau. A basic Hotel with a great welcome. The rooms are very basic as are the facilities but all this is reflected in a VERY reasonable rate. You get what you pay for surely well here I think you get a little more and the village is a bonus.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank 5cottie
Reviewed 24 July 2012 via mobile

Arrived late and they left door open with code for door - excellent for late arrival after sightseeing. Very nice breakfast area and good service. Somewhat hard beds - but good in our room. Baby bed place in room for family of 5.

• Stayed July 2012