“A Magnificent Royal Residence”

Chateau Royal de Blois
Loire Valley Castles Private Day Trip from Paris
Ranked #1 of 45 things to do in Blois
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Royal Chateau of Blois is your gateway into the Val de Loire. The Royal Chateau of Blois is the first important place to discover as you come from Paris. It is a true synthesis of the art and history of the Loire Valley chateaux, and makes it an ideal introduction for your visit.The rich architecture of the four different wings echoes the diversity of styles of the many chateaux built in the Loire Valley from the Middle Ages to the 17th Century.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Baby buggy parking, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 30 December 2010

The Chateau de Blois was a royal residence for a series of French kings including Louis XII, Francois I, Henry II, Henry III, and Henry IV among many others. The place is steeped in history and visitors can see Catherine de Medici's bedroom, the room in which the Duc de Guise was assassinated, the State Room with the royal throne, and many, many more historical and architectural wonders.

The chateau was begun in the early fifteenth century, though not much remains from this period. The main wings were built under the direction of Louis XII and Francois I. The latter is pretty exciting with fancifully painted walls and ceilings and marvelously decorative floor tiles. The building has been sumptuously restored and left an effect on me that some of the other chateaux didn't.

The chateaux is quite large and was the seat of French government during the reign of Francois I. The site is high above the city and is a veritable fortress. The central courtyard includes the fabulous Francois I spiral staircase set into an octagonal turret. Make sure that you use the staircase. Views from inside are quite wonderful.

I strongly recommend a visit here. My party and I unfortunately didn't allow enough time and missed the museum in the Louis XII wing. I suggest planning to spend slightly more than two hours in this chateau.

4  Thank redeco
Write a ReviewReviews (2,821)

Reviewed 16 October 2010

If you visiting La Loire and have to decide which ones to visit or not, please don't miss the interior of this Castle. It was built and enlarged along the years and the kings therefore you can see very different styles. Many historic moments took place in this castle. Catarina Di Medici died in there and another queen mother was made prisoner and managed to escape. All the rooms are well furnished and paintings tell you about the past of this place. Chateu de Blois its a must...

1  Thank LisbonKiteRunner
Reviewed 20 April 2009

We had trained in for the day to visit Chambord. We loved the Architecture and the history and the different ages of development of the Chateau royal de Blois but noted how updated it was. We had just come form nearby Chambourd and found they way it was set up to be more authentic. Over all Chateau royal de Blois is worth the time ti visit.

Reviewed 13 April 2009

We visited Château de Blois after hearing about how well furnished the interior was. Ticket price was 8EUR each for a self guided tour and a brochure/guide in English or French. The exhibits and artifacts kept our attention for well over 2 hours. You really get the opportunity to get up close in most of the rooms. Photography is allowed (no tripods) and I was able to get some great shots of both the artifacts and the architecture of the the Château. There is also a great vista in the back which overlooks the Loire River, the city of Blois, and the Eglise Saint Nicolas. I would highly recommend for those who are interested in seeing a well renovated chateau with a lot of content.

3  Thank 6Lucky
Reviewed 19 March 2009

this was our first stop in the Loire Valley. after picking up our rental car we headed into the center of town to the chateau. parking is a little difficult. the chateau did not disappoint - all of the different styles of architecture are very interesting and beautiful. there is a self-guided tour to take which we really liked - it allows you to go at your own pace. it was a good introduction to Francois I as well, who is the central character in many of the Loire Valley chateaux.