“sleep with a cigarette”

Ranked #25 of 28 Hotels in Blois
Victoria, Australia
“sleep with a cigarette”
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Wouldn't stay here again the manager wasn't very helpful when we found a cigarette in one of the beds. He claimed it was one of ours but we don't smoke.
The Restaurant was non-existent. It also had a greasy smell as though it hadn't been cleaned.
The manager had restricted hours during the afternoon so after a morning of walking around we couldn't enter the apartment due to the door being locked.

Managers service very low.
very quiet area, beds good for the price.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Maple Ridge, Canada
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Easy to find once we found the correct road. We walked from the train and had lunch in the park on the way to the hotel. Hotel is across the street from St. Vincent Church, very nice inside. Would have liked to hear the organs play. The Mansion is just up the hill and is quite impressive from the outside. It wook only a couple of hours to walk most of the town and to see the churches and sights. The Hotel had small spiral staircase which was a little difficult to do. Maybe easier if the front desk helped a little. The room had an inside exit onto the fire escape with a skylight where we had appa's and wine. The $6.00 Euro for croissants was ok for breakfast but found this to be the standard in the latter hotels we stayed at.

Room Tip: Keep away from the tiny stairs if you can.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank what-will-be-next

Travellers are raving about these Blois hotels

Valladolid, Spain
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Renaissance for at least one night while travelling in france with three of my friends. So I will tell you the highlights and the lowlights. The price is perfect for people taking Europe by storm and still saving money. We staying in a 5 person room for one night and each paid around 11 euro, which, in my opinion, is relatively unheard of in France. The accomodations were clean and spacious, another rarity for those who know that spacious rooms are few in Europe. The floor was very dirty, which was somewhat disappointing, but otherwise not a problem. The check in time was a little late for our liking, but the consierge made up for it by allowing us to stay in the lobby after we had checked out (and let us use their wi-fi). And can I just say, the people at the desk were very sweet and accomodating. They practiced their english with us and patiently pointed out the great places to eat and shop in Blois. We had a fantastic time in Blois and the Hotel Renaissance was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jenna A
Cieszyn, Poland
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I'd suggest staying somewhere else. It was decent for me as a young single traveler on a budget, but the service was below average. First of all, the hotel advertises itself as being open 24 hours/day. On my first evening, I went out and came back around 11 pm to find the door locked. I had not been given an access code and had no cell phone to call the number on the door. Luckily, another group showed up soon after I did, also without the access code, but at least I wasn't alone. After about 10-15 minutes of knocking on the door, someone from the hotel across the street came over to help us. We finally got a hold of the owner of our hotel for the access code, but the guy who came to help us said that he sees people locked out there fairly often.

My last morning, I had a train about 8:00 so I came down around 7:30 to pay and check out. The owner, still half asleep and in his pajamas, was very annoyed that I hadn't payed the night before, when in fact he never requested me to do so. (I actually had tried to, but after waiting a few minutes as he was helping another customer check in, I continued up to my room.) He also overcharged me by about 15 Euros because I'd already payed the deposit online, and while he said via email he'd send the difference to me, it never arrived.

So yeah, I wouldn't recommend this place, but it was cheap and I didn't actually spend much time there during my stay.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank lbstole
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We have had one of the worst experiences of our lives at the Hotel La Renaissance in Bloise France. We arrived in Bloise at 14:00 and attempted to check into the hotel, we were told check in was not open until after 17:00. We asked that the manager/hotel owner store our bags, which he set aside in a corner of the hotel's restaurant. When we left the hotel after dropping our bags, the sign posted outside the hotel door stated that one may check in until 22:00.

We went off to enjoy the various Chateau's and returned to the hotel just before 9:00pm and that is when we found that we were locked out and could not gain entry into the lobby as it was dark and no one was around.

A hotel front deck clerk from across the street was kind enough to dial the emergency contact number for the hotel La Renaissance on our behalf...the owner then gave them the door code for entry and where our room key would be sitting inside the front lobby.

Once in the hotel, we looked in the room to see if our luggage had been left inside and found that it was not. We now had no clothes or access to our medication for the night.

The hotel across the street was again nice enough to redial to ask how we could get our luggage from the locked restaurant and after some persuasion, the hotel owner agreed to come over to the property to let us access our luggage.

After 20 minutes, the owner arrived and started lecturing us by saying we were allowed to check in between 5pm and 6 pm ONLY. When we cited the sign outside which stated 22:00 (10:00pm) outside his door he said that this is when guests with door entry codes are last allowed to enter the property. First hotel I've seen where the guests are considered "locked in" after a certain hour.

We pushed again about the 22:00 cited on the sign that did not state only for entry and exit and that was when the manager's story changed to check in must now be before 9:00pm.

The story change was enough for us to decided that after we retrieved our luggage we asked him to cancel our reservation. He had put us thru the ringer enough that we did not have a good feeling about staying here. He stated that the hotel was pre-paid and that we should just stay the night. The hotel had not been pre-paid. We stayed across the street and the clean and quiet (but basic) Etam (which had the very helpful staff we noted above).

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Philip0706
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 15 September 2011

As a professional traveler (International airline pilot) I have NEVER been treated so badly at an establishment before; and that's saying something!

More than a week into my cycle tour across France, and having spent the night in similar 2 star hotels in St. Nazaire, Nantes, St. Florent, Angers & Tours, the Office of Tourism found this establishment for me yesterday afternoon. Most hotels were full and they were scrambling to find anything.

The owner scolded me twice; once for coming in "so late" at 10:30pm. I had JUST walked in the front door using the 'after-hours' code when he appeared from the back room, and shouted "This area is closed! Go upstairs to your room!" Seriously crazy.

When I showed up for breakfast at 9:45 this morning he looked at his watch with disbelief and shook his head. Showing up for breakfast at 9:45? Breakfast doesn't close until 10am. After last night's scolding I really just wanted to leave, but I had paid the 7 Euros for the breakfast when I checked in yesterday.

Breakfast at the Renaissance was pretty terrible- the worst bread and worst coffee I have ever had in all my years coming to France (since 1992). The internet didn't work this morning. The window in my room opened into a closed space, where a tiny window was open to the outside. Because it was so hot and stuffy, I chose for forego any privacy or security and left my window open. When my neighbors left at 6am I rolled over and waved goodbye to them, 5 feet away.

I checked out at 10:45am and moved to a 3-star around the corner. The price is close to double, but the value is 10-fold. Friendly, polite, and helpful staff a the front desk was like a homecoming.

Why did the owner despise me? I don't know. He seemed fine until after I handed him my American passport.

Room Tip: If you absolutely MUST stay here, make sure your window opens to the outdoors and not to an indoor s...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 25 July 2010

Don't be frightened by the "institutional" look of the hallways; the rooms are fine. Small and basic by U.S. standards but clean and comfortable. No AC, but a fan, and even in July the nights were cool enough with the window open. Street noise mostly dies down after midnight, even on Bastille Day! The location is great, near the Blois Chateau and plenty of cafes, etc., nearby. We were driving and circled the center of the city a couple of times to access the parking lot next to the hotel because of one-way streets, but once you get it, it isn't hard. You have to pay for parking during the daytime (but not at night or weekends and holidays), by inserting euros into the "Parking payant" meter and leaving the receipt on your dash, which means keeping track of time and getting up early enough in the morning to pay. The hotel manager was friendly and helpful, and speaks English. The continental breakfast was typical, or you could go to a nearby cafe. The restaurant looked iffy (and empty), so we ate elsewhere for dinner.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family