“A small studio apartment”
Review of Appart'City Blois

Appart'City Blois
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A small studio apartment”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I strongly disagree with this being called a hostel. I don’t think these people know what a hostel is. Hostels don’t have private baths or small kitchens. There is a supermarche about a 5 minute walk away across the rail road tracks. You can get semi-prepared, fresh, and frozen food that make it easy to have a meal even with the very basic facilities. Before arrival, I got an email with the codes to enter the building and to get my key if we arrived after the office closed. We arrived when the reception was open. The internet is a small extra charge. If you want the internet and plan to arrive when the office is closed, contact the hotel before you arrive, pay, and get the code. Our room was spotless. The bathroom is a normal small size and fine if you aren’t obese which can also be said about the room. There was space to open both of our suitcases and still carefully move around. You just need to be a bit adaptable. The bed seems to be one that pulls out of a couch. On our one night stay we left it just as it was made up. The bed was comfortable and not what one would expect for one that folds up. One good thing about this chain is that they have a self-service laundry. That is very convenient when part way through a trip you need some clean clothes. On our next trip to France, we will plan to stay in this chain about half way through a two-week trip for this reason alone. Didn’t use laundry because this was only our third day of our trip. One review said there was plenty of street parking. Glad we reserved/paid for a space in their underground garage. It’s no more than a 15 minute walk to the old town and the castle. They specify that they don’t have maid service during your stay so don’t expect it as some have. Will definitely stay at another location in this chain. The maid only left one pillow but the office provided another. Also the second set of towels were in the cabinet under the sink.This is an economy chain but everything worked and was clean. A good value for the money.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AllenDC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We came here as a last minute booking because our chosen hotel was double booked; we'd have been more comfortable sleeping in the car. The "bed" is a joke, the room is so tiny you cannot walk round the bed (which is sideways) and there is no fan/aircon. Don't try checking in between 12 & 3 or after 7 as reception is part-time. I wouldn't recommend this to my enemy.
The photos on the site are a distortion...

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank JohnA_LE16

Travellers are raving about these Blois hotels

Westerkappeln
Reviewed 20 July 2009

we had been with 8 people in the elevator below the max weiht and the elevator stopped and the light shot off and we hat not enough oxygene. You can call nobody at 11.30 pm. Nobody will help you unless you have strong peope who can open manually the door from the elevator. You must help yourself. We are alive - we had good luck

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 21 June 2008

Really budget friendly, but that's where it ends. I thought this sounded like the perfect accommodations for a three day tour of Blois and the Loire Valley, but we would have been more comfortable at a small hotel with more staff. The room was extremely small, the second "bed" was a trundle under the couch/bed, which took up the entire living area when pulled out. Really. There was no room to walk when it was pulled out. The "kitchenette" was inadequate to prepare more than a sandwich, and the bathroom was moldy and had peeling paint. I ran into some poor travelers who had the misfortune of arriving by train after the reception had closed for the evening. The closest phone was at the train station, and there were no instructions for late arrivals, even those with prepaid rooms. Honestly, most travelers would be better served at a budget hotel or youth hostel. I would be reluctant to recommend this place.

• Liked — Well located in the Loire Valley, cost
  • Disliked — Lack of staff, sleeping arrangements, mold, peeling paint
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Spokane wa
Reviewed 28 December 2007

I was worried about the room my whole trip because the property manager was taking an extended X-mas holiday and would not be there on the two days I was staying. She gave me a code for the front door and a code for the safe to retrieve my key. Sure as shooting, the code for the safe was wrong so I spent an hour panicking about having to get another hotel (this one prepaid on Expedia). After 3 excited and expensive cell phone calls to the Appart'City phone bank, I finally found a operator who spoke enough English to give me the correct safe combination. The room is supposed to be for the business traveler but is more like a youth hostel. The "living area" doubles as the bed room and the couch doubles as a bed for one with a pull out trundle. No way I was sleeping on it so gave the wife the couch and put the trundle mattress on the floor to sleep. No internet access because to property manager to give me the code. Small bathroom, small shower, some dishes and utensils for the small fridge and stove. Maybe 250 Sq Foot total for the whole "Appartment". Only good thing going for it was it was close to town. Okay if you need to save money, but better left for two students. Wouldn't even recommend for the single traveler.

• Stayed December 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank agedude
San Rafael, California
Reviewed 10 March 2006

I booked a last-minute trip to Blois to watch the Tour de France. I checked all over the web, and the only place that was available was the Appart City. So, throwing caution to the wind (why was this the only available room?), I reserved five nights.

I could not have been more pleased. The place is convenient (close to the train station), clean, comfortble and (reasonably) cheap.

A couple of caveats...this is an apartment building, not a hotel. You are staying in a room that serves as a complete living space. Small stove, small fridge, some kitchen utensils and dinnerware.

Since this is not a hotel, there is no maid service, no room service and no concierge. C'est dommage! But who really cares? Think of it like your own apartment in Blois. You clean-up after yourself at home, yes? Well, then don't be slob here and expect someone else to fix your mess!

The one negative...I stayed here during a warm week in July, and since there's no air conditioning, my room was a bit warm at night. But there was a breeze blowing outside, so an open window kept things liveable.

The hotel is about 1km from the center of town, and there's an Internet cafe' not far from the train station.

Also...they raise the rates during the Tour. The first two nights, before the Tour came to town, my room was $48 per night. The last three, on either side of the Tour stage, the rate was raised to $112.

• Stayed July 2005