“everything was ok until...”
Review of Hotel Du Bellay

Hotel Du Bellay
Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in Blois
Reviewed 26 August 2011

The room was clean, the bed was good, with plenty of pillows, the windows had shutters so we slept until late and well. The bathroom was tiny and it was difficult to exit the shower, because the door was too narrow and the sink was next to the door, but that was not a problem. The toilet bowl had attached a "sanibroyeur", a kind of refuse disposal unit that grinds whatever materials are flushed, it was a bit noisy, but that was not a problem either. The breakfast was basic, but enough for us.
What I didn't like was what my husband told me after we left, on that morning while he was brushing, someone from the upper floor flushed the toilet and then fecal materials were coming out from the drain of our shower. My husband was disgusted, he decided not to tell me because I would have been sick.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 June 2010

I booked a room via email with this hotel due to the good reviews on tripadvisor and the cheap price. The hotel was quick to reply and even wrote to me in english. On the 12th of April I sent an email to cancel the accommodation as we would no longer be going to Blois (23 days notice).
The hotel charged me for the 1 night of acommodation so I emailed them to alert them of the mistake... I re-sent them all of our previous emails including the booking and cancellation.
The emails I received after that were "conveniently" in French stating that as they did not reply to my cancellation email it was not a valid cancellation.
I have never come across a hotel ranked so highly on tripadvisor with such a rude attitude towards customers. We will definitely not be staying here in the future.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LauraC84
Reviewed 17 May 2010

The hotel was locked on our arrival, with only a phone number posted. Luckily the receptionist arrived and gave us the key to a room which was under construction. A change of rooms had us feeling grateful until we saw the rooms. The maintenance has been sadly neglected, there were holes in the bathroom floor, which also featured a mildewed shower curtain and we had to ask for towels. The receptionist did speak very good English, but we were less than impressed with the overall experience.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank juwaraba
Reviewed 1 May 2010

When I first checked into the hotel I was already less than impressed by the state of the place with it's shoddy construction (cheap plywood nailed on top of old wood and other makeshift "solutions" to the deteriorating building) and dark rooms, even considering it's a 1 star. I have stayed in other 1 stars and maybe I lucked out, but they have been much nicer than this-- for lack for a better word-- dump. The room I was in had a bed that was situated so low that it was nearly on the ground and had a weird bar underneath the mattress in the middle, so I slept on one side. They never changed my towel, even though I was there for a few days and they didn't bother to make sure there was reserve toilet paper in the shared bathroom, so I found myself without. The biggest issue with this hotel, however, was that my room had bedbugs. I woke up a couple of days after I started staying there with bites on my legs, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions. The next night I got more and I knew it had to be bedbugs. I told the manager and he seemed relatively unconcerned and didn't even bother to offer me another room or refund my money and get me into a new hotel. I had to demand to be moved. He also told me that they had had a problem a year ago and another problem three years ago. Huge red flag. Do not stay here.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank AAGIILH
Reviewed 9 January 2010

Having booked this hotel early in December and subsequently confirmed the booking by telephone some days later I was annoyed to find on arrival that we would be staying in another hotel some distance away. There was nothing by way of apology and the directions to the other hotel were almost impossible to follow. It took about twenty minutes walking with luggage to find the alternative place which turned out to be the kind of place that I would normally avoid. At ten thirty pm and having travelled a long distance from Ireland we were not in a position to be choosy so we put up with it for the one night. I realize it is only a one star establishment but a little consideration for guests would not have been out of place.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank GalwayMoss
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Like many others, I was initially attracted by the price. And for me, what matters most are cleanliness and location, and Hotel du Bellay was very good on both. It's up the hill from the downtown area, but a very short/easy walk. The room was very clean, and when our room wasn't available upon our arrival (we were early), we were given another room (that was better) for the same price. The manager gave us hiking and restaurant recommendations and was just in general very friendly.

The parking in the area isn't great, since it's on a bit of a narrow road and there's no lot. But we did find a spot on the street pretty quickly. And parking in Blois is very cheap. If you don't have much stuff though (and if you're like me and don't like driving on narrow, curvy, unfamiliar streets), I'd recommend parking in the public lot on the right just after you enter Blois over the bridge. It's probably a 10-15-minute walk to the hotel from there. But, if you don't mind driving in little French towns, by all means, head on up!

Also, on the off chance you want to rent a bike off season on a Sunday, there's a place on the way to the train station from downtown (about 300m before you get to the train station, on the right if you're following the signs toward the station from downtown) that is open at 9:30 or so.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2009

When you see the word "quaint" in a description, you should be aware that this is not going to be a five star hotel. Our room was so amazingly small we took photos of it, it's become quite a talking piece. We had the tiniest bathroom ever (with the smallest bath) but it was all sparkling clean, very good location and dirt cheap. Best of all, the manager couldn't do enough for us. We are a retired couple and he gave us the downstairs room so we wouldn't have to climb the stairs. He provided a good continental breakfast each day and was always very helpful and charming.
Blois itself is a fascinating place to visit, and the hotel was walking distance to everything. We got a taxi from the station because there is a hill involved. Rally enjoyed our stay but you have to have a sense of humour. The decor is appalling, too, mostly orange and mixture of patterns, but hey, you don't sleep on the wallpaper, do you? The bed was comfortable, and he gave us free internet access as well. We were sad to leave.

We would also recommend taking the bus to see the chateaux as you get an informative commentary in English.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple