“Bedbugs!”

Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Blois
San Francisco
“Bedbugs!”
Reviewed 1 May 2010

When I first checked into the hotel I was already less than impressed by the state of the place with it's shoddy construction (cheap plywood nailed on top of old wood and other makeshift "solutions" to the deteriorating building) and dark rooms, even considering it's a 1 star. I have stayed in other 1 stars and maybe I lucked out, but they have been much nicer than this-- for lack for a better word-- dump. The room I was in had a bed that was situated so low that it was nearly on the ground and had a weird bar underneath the mattress in the middle, so I slept on one side. They never changed my towel, even though I was there for a few days and they didn't bother to make sure there was reserve toilet paper in the shared bathroom, so I found myself without. The biggest issue with this hotel, however, was that my room had bedbugs. I woke up a couple of days after I started staying there with bites on my legs, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions. The next night I got more and I knew it had to be bedbugs. I told the manager and he seemed relatively unconcerned and didn't even bother to offer me another room or refund my money and get me into a new hotel. I had to demand to be moved. He also told me that they had had a problem a year ago and another problem three years ago. Huge red flag. Do not stay here.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank AAGIILH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Galway
Reviewed 9 January 2010

Having booked this hotel early in December and subsequently confirmed the booking by telephone some days later I was annoyed to find on arrival that we would be staying in another hotel some distance away. There was nothing by way of apology and the directions to the other hotel were almost impossible to follow. It took about twenty minutes walking with luggage to find the alternative place which turned out to be the kind of place that I would normally avoid. At ten thirty pm and having travelled a long distance from Ireland we were not in a position to be choosy so we put up with it for the one night. I realize it is only a one star establishment but a little consideration for guests would not have been out of place.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank GalwayMoss

Travellers are raving about these Blois hotels

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Like many others, I was initially attracted by the price. And for me, what matters most are cleanliness and location, and Hotel du Bellay was very good on both. It's up the hill from the downtown area, but a very short/easy walk. The room was very clean, and when our room wasn't available upon our arrival (we were early), we were given another room (that was better) for the same price. The manager gave us hiking and restaurant recommendations and was just in general very friendly.

The parking in the area isn't great, since it's on a bit of a narrow road and there's no lot. But we did find a spot on the street pretty quickly. And parking in Blois is very cheap. If you don't have much stuff though (and if you're like me and don't like driving on narrow, curvy, unfamiliar streets), I'd recommend parking in the public lot on the right just after you enter Blois over the bridge. It's probably a 10-15-minute walk to the hotel from there. But, if you don't mind driving in little French towns, by all means, head on up!

Also, on the off chance you want to rent a bike off season on a Sunday, there's a place on the way to the train station from downtown (about 300m before you get to the train station, on the right if you're following the signs toward the station from downtown) that is open at 9:30 or so.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
Newcastle Australia
Reviewed 23 August 2009

When you see the word "quaint" in a description, you should be aware that this is not going to be a five star hotel. Our room was so amazingly small we took photos of it, it's become quite a talking piece. We had the tiniest bathroom ever (with the smallest bath) but it was all sparkling clean, very good location and dirt cheap. Best of all, the manager couldn't do enough for us. We are a retired couple and he gave us the downstairs room so we wouldn't have to climb the stairs. He provided a good continental breakfast each day and was always very helpful and charming.
Blois itself is a fascinating place to visit, and the hotel was walking distance to everything. We got a taxi from the station because there is a hill involved. Rally enjoyed our stay but you have to have a sense of humour. The decor is appalling, too, mostly orange and mixture of patterns, but hey, you don't sleep on the wallpaper, do you? The bed was comfortable, and he gave us free internet access as well. We were sad to leave.

We would also recommend taking the bus to see the chateaux as you get an informative commentary in English.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ziggysmum
Leicester, UK
Reviewed 26 July 2009

This is a very centrally located hotel ideal for those on a budget, or looking for somewhere a lot more authentic than a chain hotel. The hotel is very clean, and very welcoming. The receptionist, who I think is the owner, was very accomodating - he served us breakfast in our room, and recomended a restaurant to suit our budget.
Our room had a small en-suite loo & bathroom; the window looked over the town, and the street.
If you are looking for a downside, it is that the parking is a little way from the hotel, and is only free between 6pm & 9am.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Millimole
Quebec
Reviewed 14 July 2009

This little one-star hotel on rue des Minimes came recommended in a couple of traveling guides. I checked their website and use their reservation form. I got an answer within a couple of days. I reserved their cheapest room for 25 euros/night for 2 nights and reconfirmed my reservation 3 weeks before my arrival.

The hotel is situated a good 10-minute walk from the train station, down a steep hill and up another. It was not difficult to find as I had a small map. Upon arrival at lunch, I was greeted nicely but was told the room rate would be 30 euros/night. As I could not have the room right away, I decided to wait until I could extract the emails stating the cheaper price to argue. In the meantime, I left my suitcase in a corner of the small breakfast room and left to visit the sights, mainly the local castle, a bare 5-minute walk away. I came back at 3 p.m. but no one was there to open the front door. I found out later that the receptionist had hurt himself and had to go to the hospital for care. When I came back a good hour later, someone was there and I was given the choice of two rooms, one at the front and one at the back of the building, both on the third floor and reached by a narrow spiral stairway (it is a very old house). I picked the front one as it was slightly more spacious.

The room itself was clean but a bit old and somewhat cramped. However the bunk beds had good new mattresses and the t.v. was decent. The floor was covered with a carpet that was a bit itchy if you went barefoot. The shower and toilet were at the end of the corridor. Both were tired-looking but basically clean. As many rooms already have their own showers, not many people used the ones in the hallway. Towels and soap were provided. The ceiling lamp didn’t work.

The building itself is over 300 years old. Everything is therefore a little cramped and the ceilings are a tad low in some places. The front door especially is not very high. However, the place is cheap and clean.

I was offered continental breakfast at 5 euros but did not take it. I did however take advantage of the free internet. When I asked about it, I was given a laptop and was able to connect myself without trouble. As for the final bill, I showed the emails quoting the room price as 25 euros/night to the receptionist. He did not argue and just made up the bill at that price. Overall, a no-frll, friendly, clean, cheap and well-located place.

Traveling tips:

Tourist office: Just beside the castle. Sell tickets to a number of places. If you wish to walk around the city, pick up for 20 centimes a little guide giving you four different routes to do. Follow the decorative nails in the pavement.

Chambord/Cheverny: Buy your bus ticket at the Tourist office the night before. Cost: 12.50 euros for the day. Bus leaves the train station, stops near the château and drives to Chambord first then on to Cheverny and returns to Blois. Best way to do it: go to Chambord at 9 a.m. Visit the castle (take the guided tour—excellent for 4 euros!) then take the bus again to Cheverny around 2 p.m. One last bus going back to Blois in late afternoon. The nice lady driving the bus comments on local sights as she drives you to the castles.

La mie câline: chain of bakeries who sells sandwiches, salads, desserts at a reasonable price.

Le Marignan: restaurant in front of the castle. Nothing fancy. Small portions. Efficient service. For 14 euros: bread, ham & mushroom pancake, fries, sugar pancake, 1 cup of sparkling cider.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
auckland
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Hotel du Bellay is a small hotel located not far from the train station and nice restaurants and the chateaux in Blois. The owner is so very helpful and can speak great English (for a town outside Paris). He has a laptop which he brings out to use internet with for free. Every room has a basin, ours had a toilet as well, there is a shower for each floor - ours unfortunately didn't drain well. Great Italian place just around the corner from the hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple