“An astonishing find!”

Ranked #2 of 200 Restaurants in Chartres
Price range: US$18 - US$47
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Nous sommes fermes le dimanche soir,le lundi et le mardi
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Many a renown Paris restaurant could take a lesson from this neat little eatery on a narrow street in provincial France. The restaurant (and staff) are exceptionally quiet. The service is meticulous and exceptionally friendly. But the most exceptional thing about Esprit Gourmand is the food. Veal shank -- best we've had. Foie gras, too -- and served at exactly the right temperature. Cheese tart -- piquant and succulent. Every dish prepared and presented with care. The wines are inexpensive and serviceable. Make sure you reserve a table in advance. This will be a meal you'll remember!

2  Thank OxfordPhd

Reviewed 6 November 2013

This restaurant was one of two recommended to us by our B&B host; the other one was fully booked, so we took a chance on Esprit Gormand. We were VERY happy we did. We were greeted by very friendly wait staff who were incredibly attentive and did their best to explain the menu to us (we speak only a little French). The 'amuse bouche' was amazing, and the meal was by far the best we had in our three weeks in France. We did our best to save room for dessert, which was absolutely delicious, and the wine recommended by our waitress was the perfect compliment to our meal. We are still talking about how good the food was, a month later!

3  Thank Noel J
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We were pointed in the direction of this fine small restaurant by out hotel receptionist. Book as it soon fills up.
Great menu with some interesting and different cooking. Good wine list.
Friendly service from Celine and staff
Their take on carbonara was truly memorable.
Its a nice relaxed place with excellent food at very fair prices.
Have paid twice as much in France for food that was nowhere need as good.
A little gem!

1  Thank simon p
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Based on good write-ups we booked at this friendly restaurant near the cathedral.

The best part of the evening was the atmosphere: bustling and relaxed

Having opted for two of the chef's signature dishes we dread to think what his non-specials taste like. Overcooked foie gras and woefully undercooked lamb shank had us reaching for the bottle of claret, but that had been chilled.

With only one waiter serving about 30 covers service was haphazard

No hint of apology or refund was forthcoming and we felt that we had been well and truly ripped off

4  Thank 654GregP654
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I chose this restaurant base on the review and the recommendation in here and for most part in Google too but turns out this is by far the worst French restaurant that I could have chosen. This is in due fact we have travelled across the English and French region for our entire 21 days road trip and have tasted the best in each region could offer so I stand by my comments and rating in knowing full well the top class act a French RESTAURANT could punch. To me, this is more like a Brasserie and NOT A RETAURANT by standard cuisiniere will differentiate within France.
This joint is Family run and hence the expectation should be set right. The service rendered is the best they muster for a family run business of which I believe came from the evolvement of experience, so do not expect Sophistication. The food is very amateurish because you could have done it at home ( STEAK & Lamb Shank ). Simply just get a piece of rib eye from the nearest store and put it on the pan and voila! ( and a little bit of rosemary just to get the herb aroma ) The sauce is too salty BUT the fries is big though! ^*^ Lamb shank meat is too hard to pull off even though I have been told it's been in the pot for the past 8 hours.. ( well, maybe the mum / uncle who's simmering it forgot the timing... ) But really, that's the only image that came to me when the meal ended. All in all, I spent Euro 120 here. I went back and related my experience to my hotelier and slowly he unravelled his own taste bud around town. ( French ma... you need to slowly peel em off like a present) And yes, finally he gave us the La Grand Monarque restaurant name( which really came in a RESTAURANT Standard and corrected our perception of Chartres Food standard! ) Me and my Wife had a great time in La Grand Monarque but that's for a different review. Guess what.. we also spent Euro 120 ( plus minus ) in La Grand Monarque.
My review here is to help set the expectation right and frankly if you want something BIG & FILLING, with lesser Sophistication & SIMPLE food, go to this Gourmand. I saw many Brits loving their portion for the Set menu cause it's BIG and filling! It's under Euro 60 for two if you are on a budget.

6  Thank ShawnWoo