“An excellent hotel, indeed”

Auberge du Bon Laboureur
Reserve with
Auberge du Bon Laboureur is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Chenonceaux
Price range: US$64 - US$127
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Bubry, France
“An excellent hotel, indeed”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The excellent food, impeccable service, all-round professionalism, welcoming swimming pool, warm and friendly atmosphere?

Visited July 2014

New York, NY
“Great Food (mostly) - Indifferent Service”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We choose this restaurant mainly because my spouse is a vegetarian and they are one of the few restaurants in Touraine that has a dedicated vegetarian menu. While I do not expect service in France to rival that found in NYC, I don't expect to be ignored for most of the meal. We were seated at 8pm but were not handed menus until at least 15 minutes later. It was another 15 minutes before anyone came over to us even to offer an aperitif. It was another 15 minutes before the amuse bouche came out. And while the waitstaff were around, unless they were bringing something to your table, they completely averted eye contact and could not be flagged down even to request more water. My spouse and I both ordered the vegetarian menu. The entrees were beautiful and delicious. I got the asparagus soup and he got the vegetable tower (which consisted of beautifully prepared fresh vegetables with basil cream between Parmesan crisps). There are others pics of it on TA. Both were wonderful. The main course spelt risotto left a lot to be desired. Spelt in a cream sauce does not a risotto make. The whole point of risotto is to have the cream absorbed into the rice grain so it becomes creamy. I must say that the vegetables on top were delicious. The cheese tray was a work of art. We had several local cheeses that we cannot get in the US - including two from Loches that I will be dreaming about. But the plate at nearly 20 Euro is quite pricey - we had similar cheese plates for half the price at other restaurants. Desserts were delicious. As were the after dessert financiers and nougat. Total meal time was 3 hours but should have been closer to 2.5 if service had been better. Given the indifferent service, I am not sure I would go back, but the food (except the risotto) was quite good. And at 29 Euro, the vegetarian menu is quite a bargain. Also, the rooms were quite pretty. Had it not been raining, outdoor seating was available.

• Visited July 2014
Cape Cod
“A very fine lunch”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We were guests for lunch here. I thought the food was quite good. There was a lot of variety and a number of amuse bouche. Our host provided the wine from his winery which was very special. We had pigeon, rabbit and John Dory as mains. All were excellent. Can't remember the starters and a cheese course. Don't know the cost as we didn't pay.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank CapeCodSam
Tetbury
“Generous and Very Classy”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is a place for a special meal of exceptional quality...for which one will pay a high price. The food is perfectly cooked and well balanced with extra small dishes between courses that add up to a generous meal. The food has not spiralled off into the over elaborate absurdity that characterises some top end dining: it is subtle and appears deceptively simple. The service is attentive but not oppressively so and quite formal.. I would have given the restaurant an even better score had the daily menu been varied more frequently - it remained unchanged with just two choices of dishes for three nights.

• Visited May 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“True haute cuisine...”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

You couldn't get a more sophisticated, delicious and abundant meal in the largest cities. Very inventive and still approachable (not just strange). We had the "prix fixe" meal, which was a little bit too much for me, with all of the little extras they serve, but fantastic for the variety.

Visited May 2014