We stayed here for two nights on our way home from a family holiday in SW France and really loved it. We have two small children (4 and nearly 2), and we had two adjoining rooms in the chateau - the Grenier a Sel and the Chambre des Chouettes. The rooms were gorgeous and had everything we needed and more, including access to CBeebies which went down very well with our two road-weary children! Our room was beautiful, full of original features and with amazing views.
The first thing that struck us (apart from the amazing setting!) was how relaxed and lovely everything is there. As soon as we arrived, our children were out of the car and playing with the toys in the courtyard, and happy to discover other playmates there. Charlotte and Jerome are wonderful hosts who really go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need, and are especially understanding about the needs of families with little ones! They were particularly kind when on the day of our departure we wanted to leave before breakfast - they insisted on getting things ready early for us!
There really is something for everyone here. A holiday with children can be hard work, but we really felt that we had time for ourselves once the children were in bed, and we could have some lovely grown up evenings eating and drinking like kings and queens! The children would have their tea (prepared by chef Phillipe!) at 6pm, and then we would take them up and come down again for dinner in the courtyard at 8pm. We could actually see the children's bedroom window, and we also were given a baby monitor which helped reassure us that they were safe and sound.
The chateau is really beautiful, steeped in history and surrounded by fields of wheat and poppies, and yet really close to everything you could need. On Charlotte's suggestion we had a wonderful day out at the Chateau de Rivau which we would thoroughly recommend. We would absolutely love to stay here again, and will definitely be back to explore the Loire which has so much to offer everyone!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Four beautiful self contained cottages set in a 15th-century Loire Valley Chateau and its outbuildings, entirely and lovingly renovated in 2008 & 2011 by the English and French owner managers. Peace and tranquility combined with warm hospitality. Very family friendly. Delicious French table d'hote meals available three evenings, breakfast included every day. Fully gated heated outdoor pool, free wifi, babysitting available, fantastic range of Loire Valley wines. Suites to suit a couple, a family of up to five, or book the entire place to sleep up to 16. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Loire Valley Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Loire Valley Retreat Hotel Chinon
- Loire Valley Retreat Chinon, France