“Wonderful chateau and charming hosts make for a superb experience”

and 1 more site!
Loire Valley Retreat
West Sussex
“Wonderful chateau and charming hosts make for a superb experience”
Reviewed 26 April 2010

We have just got back from a week at Chateau de Charge with our 2 children (aged 4 and 1). We had a wonderful time mostly because of the hospitality of the owners, Charlotte and Jerome and their 2 children. We had to take our youngest child to A&E in the middle of the night and Charlotte came with me to translate and drive and I will always be grateful for her help. Despite the drama, this was one of our best stays in France for some time. The chateau is beautiful and you get all the luxury of staying at a top hotel with the freedom of self-catering. A guest kitchen is so helpful when travelling with small children who just want fish fingers but it is also nice to have the option of not cooking and Charlotte is a wonderful cook. The wines that Jerome stocks are excellent and we even brought some back with us. The setting just outside Chinon is beautiful, the rooms are smart, tasteful and very spacious, the swimming pool is lovely and the whole trip was just superb. I cannot recommend Charge highly enough and we will definitely return very soon.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 24 March 2010

We stayed at Chateau de Charge just before Christmas, as a stopover between London and South West France. Found it by chance, and we were more than pleasantly surprised.

Jerome and Charlotte were wonderful hosts, and they have immaculate taste and have finished their property beatifully and to a high standard. Having lived in North America for many years, me and my family have high expectations, particularly when it comes to bathrooms. Many B&Bs or smaller hotels in Europe leave little to be desired, but Chateau de Charge makes you feel like you are a queen in spacial accomodation, memory foam mattresses, high quality fittings and decor, and modern technology. Jerome hosted a wine tasting for us, which was excellent and a very memorable experience, and Charlotte prepared a light supper for us with locally sourced cheeses which were delicious. Breakfast the next morning was generous and with lots of choice.

In short, I would highly recommend this place to anyone who is looking for the real French experience - but with modern day standards. It would also make a very romantic wedding venue! I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed December 2009
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 24 March 2010

I cannot begin to say how wonderful the Loire Valley Retreat is. Not only is it located in an absolutely beautiful region of France, the hosts are truly wonderful and make you feel at home. The chateau and the rooms are furnished down to every perfect detail for your comfort and pleasure. I felt like I could stay there forever! They even provide the best toiletries and coffees in your room, and the rooms are spotless clean.
The hosts, Jerome and Charlotte , and their children, make you feel like a member of the family. They were very informative on the area and the history of the chateau itself. Jerome took special care to answer my 11 year son's never ending questions from the history of France, to wine making. He even took him to search for treasure with the metal detector. Jerome and Charlotte have worked hard to make their retreat an extra special place.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 February 2010

I traveled to the Loire Valley for business, but I had the luxury of being able to take in some sights as well. If that is your situation, you can't go wrong with Chateau de Charge. It is off the beaten track, so you get to experience the region known as the "Garden of France" in its raw form. I went for a week in February, so the trees were bare and the grape vines had been pruned down to their gnarly stumps to revitalize for the coming growing season. However, while jogging through the open fields surrounding the Chateau in the early morning, I could strongly sense the history, pride, and romanticism of the region. The property itself, built in late 17th century, shows its majestic age and character on the exterior, while the inside has been beautifully remodeled and updated. The rooms are extremely clean and comfortable, and they provide everything that the modern traveler has come to expect. Jerome and Charlotte do an excellent job of hosting and of providing an experience tailored to their guests. Being ex-marketing and finance professionals, they can converse business or worldly matters over a nice glass of wine with anybody. At the same time, as parents of two sweet boys, they know the true meaning of "family friendly" and have clearly woven those values into the fabric of their B&B and home. I can't wait to bring my wife and daughter on my next trip. Chateau de Charge is a rare find about which I only have positive things to say --- and it is not bad that it is in the heart of one of France's most beautiful and prominent wine producing regions.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Subtleties
Philadelphia
Reviewed 10 February 2010

Stayed in Loire Valley Retreat to attend the Loire Valley wine expo. Jerome and Charlotte made me feel at home, great service, ample and luxurious accommodations and lovely food. And what I can say about Jerome's knowledge of wine, he was very helpful to point me out to the right wineries and producers. I will definitely come back soon with my wife to enjoy this treat!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 29 January 2010

I can't say enough good things about this place. Firstly Jerome and Charlotte were amazing. We really felt welcome.. as if guests in their home rather than a hotel. the Chateaux is finished to an excellent standard. They have really thought of everything... and particularly the small things that count. Ie.. memory mattresses, L'Octcianne products, huge big baths.. and rain showers.. which one to pick! There are even ipod chargers in the rooms!!
That said, Jerome did a wine tasting for us in the evening.. we REALLY enjoyed that. Lighthearted and fun.. but really really interesting as well. Not too ponchy.. it just all felt really relaxed.

We stayed here after a long trip from London and couldn't have made a better find. Really wish we had stayed longer. This would be the perfect place to come and stay for one night... a couple or a couple of weeks. We could even envision a small wedding being held here. It would be magical.

We wish you all the very best and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 January 2010

Chateau de Charge is a magnificent escape from Paris. It fulfilled all my dreams of staying at a chateau in the Loire Valley. We stayed in the Grenier à Sel room which overlooked the courtyard. The details and restoration of the room and the chateau are exquisite. The entire chateau was impeccably clean and the owners Jerome, Charlotte & Co. were very pleasant and helpful. They made excellent restaurant recommendations and referred us to an excellent english speaking wine tour guide, Alain. The stay and trip were perfect and I couldn't have asked for anything more. I highly recommend Chateau de Charge to anyone looking for an amazing experience in Chinon and the Loire Valley.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chinon
Chateau de Marcay
#1 of 2 in Langeais
Ibis Styles Chinon
Ibis Styles Chinon
#5 of 15 in Chinon

Been to Loire Valley Retreat? Share your experiences!