I can only say good things about Chargé (and the owners/hosts Charlotte and Jerome) - which is pretty unusual for me since I am quite critical when I stay in hotels. The fact i am even writing a review on it speaks for itself (yeah, normally i'd only bother doing that if the place was really really bad, but this place is great and deserves a positive review).
If you are sick and tired of paying decent money for supposedly luxury accommodation only to find it isn't luxurious at all but still expensive then you should try this place. Everything is as it should be and more. I really can't fault the place.
The accommodation in the family suite is perfect. The rooms are very well presented, very spacious, clean, and very comfortable (and have complimentary tea and coffee facilities - espresso machine in the room, nice touch). The bathroom was spotless, and not a sign of mould or anything that shouldn't be there. And as for my number one worry when i check into a hotel, well the bed were very comfortable. In fact, part of the reason why we chose Chargé was because I had read on here that they have memory foam beds. Perfect nights sleep. I'd say the rooms are better than they come over in photos on this site. The rooms are quiet too which is essential, and provide a great view of sunset/sunrise (very large windows). Oh and there's even a heap of toys in the second bedroom for the kids to play with on the floor in there, which allowed us a little peace and quiet to relax on the sofa in the main room.
If I had to pick a criticism, well, maybe the TV could be a little bigger, but personally, we don't go on holiday to watch TV, so for me thats a non-issue.
The hosts are very friendly, "normal" people (you can really come across some freaks when you stay in some of these types of places!). Charlotte's cooking is great, and Jerome is a wealth of knowledge on the area and history of the chateau and was more than willing to assist in helping us get the most out of the 4 days we were there.
As i said, this place is great, and it's in a charming part of the Loire Valley. Definitely worth a stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Four beautiful self contained cottages set in a 15th-century Loire Valley Chateau and its outbuildings, entirely and lovingly renovated in 2008 & 2011 by the English and French owner managers. Peace and tranquility combined with warm hospitality. Very family friendly. Delicious French table d'hote meals available three evenings, breakfast included every day. Fully gated heated outdoor pool, free wifi, babysitting available, fantastic range of Loire Valley wines. Suites to suit a couple, a family of up to five, or book the entire place to sleep up to 16. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Loire Valley Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Loire Valley Retreat Hotel Chinon
- Loire Valley Retreat Chinon, France