We chanced upon the chateau on the Stopover Connections' website. While the photos and information led me to expect a high standard of accommodation, we were completely blown over by the reality. As all the reviews repeatedly confirm, the Chateau has been beautifully restored and the rooms are just perfect including the bed which was more comfortable than my own. The luxurious and capacious bedrooms tempt you to spend hours in them but don't give in to that as you will miss the most unique aspect namely the hosts Charlotte and Jerome. Their easy charm quickly brings you to a state of such relaxation that you feel you are holidaying with friends. But there is nothing forced or false about this. They are so obviously genuinely sociable people who love to meet others and to share their detailed knowledge of the area and its wines. Their ease has an infectious quality and soon the guests are speaking freely with one another which is hugely important because this is a small operation with only four rooms. At the same time there is no pressure to socialise. Their five year old Louis is equally sociable and our two boys were whisked off within minutes of arrival to discover the wonders of the grounds - toys, goats, fruit, sword fights, swimming pool and a game of rounders with Jerome and the adults before bed. Charlotte is also a wonderful cook and I cannot recommend highly enough taking your meals in the Chateau whenever you can, especially if you have children. You will eat a far better meal than you're likely to get in the restaurants of nearby Chinon and Jerome's expert hand will guide you to some glorious wines. The children's tastes will be perfectly catered for and they can then run freely about the grounds leaving you to linger over your meal in the company of the other guests or just quietly on your own, as you choose. The week of our arrival was a special one because the Chateau had taken the number 1 spot on Tripadvisor for B and Bs in the Loire. This could not be more richly deserved. Like others who have reviewed this wonderful place, I have never before taken the trouble to write a review.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Four beautiful self contained cottages set in a 15th-century Loire Valley Chateau and its outbuildings, entirely and lovingly renovated in 2008 & 2011 by the English and French owner managers. Peace and tranquility combined with warm hospitality. Very family friendly. Delicious French table d'hote meals available three evenings, breakfast included every day. Fully gated heated outdoor pool, free wifi, babysitting available, fantastic range of Loire Valley wines. Suites to suit a couple, a family of up to five, or book the entire place to sleep up to 16. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Loire Valley Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Loire Valley Retreat Hotel Chinon
- Loire Valley Retreat Chinon, France