“Very nice hotel but poor restaurant”

Best Western Hotel De France
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Chinon
Manchester
“Very nice hotel but poor restaurant”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel in late May this year (21st, 22nd and 23rd).

The hotel was very good and made very tasteful modern use of an old building without loosing any of its charm. The room was fine, lacked nothing and overlooked the square. We also had a fine view of Henry 2nd's fortress that overlooks the old town. As the building was old and historic there was no lift so older people with mobility problems should take note.

The staff were very helpful and informative, and made us feel very welcome. The only down side was the restaurant. We made an advance reservation and expected to dine in the official restaurant. When we went down to dine, it was clear that the staff were surprised. The restaurant was not really in use and we were ecpected to dine in the bar bistro. We flatly refused, and to be fair they very quickly set up a table for us to dine in the restaurant dining room as we expected. However, we were the only people in it, so it was not very pleasant.

To make matters worse, my steak arrived very, very over cooked, and I had to reject it. I had ordered it saignant (rare) and was was more than well done. To my amazement, I was confronted by either the chef or the manager (I'm not sure which) who proceded to tell in no uncertain terms me that the staek was perfect and I was completely wrong to reject it. He then gave me a lecture on the way to order a steak as though I had never been to France before. he was so wrong, that I thought he might have been an eastern europen part time helper!

I stood my ground, and made it very clear that I knew what I was talking about, and he huffed and puffed, turned on his heel and marched off. Some time later, I was presented with a new steak but no apology. The steak turned out to be full of fat and gristle and was uneatable.

I am retired now but I first went to France in 1968, and I have actually lived and worked in France for the later half of my professional life, so I have had a great deal of experience of restaurants and eating there in general, I would not claim to be an expert, but I know how to order food, and I know how it should be served. To be treated like that was quite a new experience!

Needless to say, we did not eat there for the following two nights, and I had a perfect steak exactly as ordered in one of the very nice restaurants in the old part of the town.

We would stay in the hotel again and we have no problem at all in recommending it. Just don't eat there!

Room Tip: Make it clear if you need assistance as there are no lifts and the stairs are difficult. However, th...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tony_de2003

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Boulder
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Highly recommend both this hotel & Chinon itself. The staff are friendly & helpful, the hotel in an excellent situation with plenty of pretty streets to wander, enough to keeep one entertained for several days. However, BE WARNED, at the nearby KITCHEN/DECOR STORE TO BE AVOIDED. English Speakers are treated with suspicion, followed indiscreetly, & insulted. My 70yr old very respectable parents & my 17yr old son were careful off items in the store but non the less followed & eventually the unpleasant female told my son to leave & go to the castle, that he/we were not welcome & not to touch items in the store (which we had done to see prices or check fabrics or what the item in fact was). In fact being interested customers. We saw another respectible couple treated similarly - we highly recommend you avoid the store & its unpleasant owners who are evidently anti English speakers. The store is EXPENSIVE, STAFF RUDE & ADVERSARIAL! STAY AWAY UNLESS YOU ENJOY BEING INSULTED!!! however, the rest of the stores, restaurants & hotels on the square & indeed elsewhere in Chinon are friendly & helpful, especially at Hotel du France.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank aBritinBoulder
Vail, United States
Reviewed 25 June 2014

As an interval between many B&B's this was a great find and a great mixture of typical good modest French hotel and American familiarity. An excellent value with the most perfect location. The front desk is manned by several ladies who are very helpful with quite excellent English language skills making it very easy even for those of us with a smattering of French skill.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Australia
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Best Western in Chinon is centrally located with adequate parking at the back. We walked twenty minutes from the railway station, not an arduous exercise along flat streets.
The desk clerk at the hotel was a charming young man who explained the location of the various sites and how to access the lift to the chateau, a fortress behind the hotel. He spoke very good English.
The room was on the second level. The staircase, fitted into a renaissance building, was tightly curved, not easy for us, but we managed. The clerk explained that the department of monuments and heritage would not approve the installation of a lift.
The room was small, adequate for one or two nights. The shower was not too small and the water pressure good.
Breakfast was simple, not more than was necessary after our beautiful evening meal at Les Annees 30. There was cereal, yoghurt, toast, eggs, pastries, but the coffee was percolated. We went over the square for coffee - problem solved.
Best Western does it well.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We enjoyed our one night here as part of a cycling tour. We had a room at the back - no view but wonderfully quiet. The room was bright, modern and showed elements of the old building - painted beams, sandstone wall. The bathroom was one of the best we have had - double basins and a large shower that didn't leak and had loads of hot water! We also had tea/coffee making facilities - very welcome! The staff were very welcoming and helpful. Dinner was included and as the restaurant was closed we were booked into At'able in Rue de Relais. Had a great 4 course meal and would certainly recommend this restaurant too. We thought breakfast was not as good as some on the trip - no fresh cheese, charcuterie or cereals.

Room Tip: The ones at the front would have a great view of the pretty square, but for peace and quiet, one at...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Stayed one night in this hotel in our Loire Valey trip. The buiding is old but the hotel is very cozy, well decorated. We have a double room at second floor and it was challenging to reach it for the first time because inside the hotel is kind of a labyrinth, but it was fun. The room was medium size, very clean and from the window we may see the square in front of the hotel.
The breakfast was good, included in the room price.
The hotel is very well located in the middle of the old town, near the castel in a very pleasant area full of restaurants. On the back side of the hotel there is a car parking place and an elevator to the castle.
Very pleasant experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank blue2k8
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Friendly staff, comfortable room and facilities, great location at the heart of the beautiful old city of Chinon. The hotel does have parking which is secure, private and free, but it is relatively small (which is why, I suspect, the hotel does not advertise it).

Nice breakfast (yoghurts, cereal, Danishes, ham, cheese, fresh bread, boiled eggs, orange and apple juice, jams, cakes, coffee, tea etc).

Many restaurants, we learnt, are shut on Sundays and Mondays; the lovely receptionist booked us a table at a 3 Michelin forks restaurant (Les Annees 30) which was open. Nice “gastronomic” food as referred to by the French.

I would definitely stay there again, nice, clean and perfect location.

Note:
No lift in the hotel and there are no ground floor rooms.
None of the hotels we stayed in (both Dordogne and Loire) provided nor iron neither a kettle.

Room Tip: First floor - less stairs to climb (no lift)
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple